Home

Six Ways to Make Madden More of a Simulation

This is a discussion on Six Ways to Make Madden More of a Simulation within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Six Ways to Make Madden More of a Simulation

Many football fans purchase Madden year after year with the lofty hopes that the game will mirror the actual sport they love as closely as possible. And while the folks at EA continue to take strides in the right direction in terms of making this dream a reality, there are still a number of areas in which improvements are needed if the game is ever going to measure up to what we see on the field on Sundays (and Mondays and Thursdays and every other day of the week NFL games are now held).

Read More - Six Ways to Make Madden More of a Simulation
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
Rookie

ssimpsons3's Arena

OVR: 0
Only thing that will make me buy 18 is if the bring back Team Play Online.

Best thing to roll with 3 friends, play single positions, and work together. Blocking for a HB never felt so fun.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
How 'bout a smarter CPU opponent?

Everything from roster usage / draft logic / cut & keeps / playcalling / in game logic / general AWR could use a "once over" to make the CPU as competitive as possible...in ALL phases on AND off the field...

Getting better, but has a ways to go, IMHO...
Old 02-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
Rookie

Rhouston's Arena

OVR: 3
Can someone clarify to me why the booth call in the video was incorrect? Is it because it should have been reversed as an incomplete pass? It if was in fact a completed pass, the booth call of calling him down was correct, as the knee hit the ground before the ball came out. But yeah, it probably should have been called "incomplete".
Old 02-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8
I vote for just getting rid of instant replay altogether in Madden. If it's broken and can't recognize what the game is showing graphically, all it really does is create bad calls for the sake of justifying its inclusion. Sure, it's in the real NFL but I can't imagine that too many people (simheads, included) would look at sports games and complain that there aren't enough bad calls. Just my 2c...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Re: Six Ways to Make Madden More of a Simulation

I believe concussions aren't in the game at all, never mind "there aren't enough". There has been some discussion around here whether they were left out amid the concussion problem in the NFL at the moment. Defenceless receiver hits and bad QB blows to the head likely will never happen too (same as player suspensions). There is even a conspiracy that tackles were toned down (sound wise at least) this year.

But yes, agree with a lot of those points, especially O-Line play. Progressive injuries with specific locations etc would also go a long way.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Rookie

I agree with all your points but you forgot something important to make Madden more realistic / more simulation : QB Accuracy.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Line Play
This is the first thing I'll be looking at with the move to Frostbite. If line play still greatly resembles the same stuff then it's going to be a huge disappointment. With the way Clint talks about what it would take doesn't instill much confidence in me that it's coming any time soon but we shall see.

The booth review video is one of those where you have to think about the other side and the problems it could cause. The worst issues I've seen with reviews are those which is shown where the WR catches and as soon the receiver has two feet down it's ruled a catch so what the review is basing it off is actually correct, the rule in the game isn't representing the huge gray area of what constitutes a catch.

Quote:
Embracing The Unpredictable
Agree with this but with the emphasis on MUT and eSports I just don't see it happening. Like with what he mentioned about Russell Wilson getting stepped on falls into the same category as the fumbled snaps and QB inaccuracy where the competitive side will just simply never embrace it which I think makes it highly unlikely we'll see it implemented. If we do end up getting a Sim vs. Comp settings separation then those things should definitely be things that are options provided somewhere down the line.

The main thing with this topic though that I'd add is the canned/scripted events that occur. Most notably the blocked kicks and those animations like the WR/DB one where the ball would get deflected out. It's inorganic and completely destroys immersion in those scenarios. They're things that are great to see for the first time but then once you see them over and over again, just make the game feel stale and elementary.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »