Home

34 vs 43 Defense

This is a discussion on 34 vs 43 Defense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: 34 vs 43 Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by prey2god
34 is so broke on Madden it's not even funny. If you don't believe me, trying playing that then configure your team to play as 43 Bengals.
can't agree with this. i have run a 34 consistently with no issues.

what is your wider point about the bengals?
Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21

Same. I had the #1 rated defense one year in our very competitive CFM, and I think have usually had a top 5 defense other years. Granted, as CM Hooe pointed out, the line is blurred these days, both IRL and in Madden. I play as the Texans and line Clowney up on the LOS plenty, especially in sub packages. But nominally he's still an OLB and plays there in base 3-4 alignments and formations like 3-3-5 Nickel wide, etc.

Like many here, I'm not sure what it really means anymore when I say I run a 3-4. Plenty of 4-man fronts that act like traditional DL. I'm not saying 3-4 is better, we have a few excellent Ds running a very traditional looking 4-3 including the Bengals. But I can definitely say it's not broken. Lots of success by 3-4 teams.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 02-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #19
Rookie

mjd113's Arena

I prefer Hybrid.

You can then have your Pass Rushing DEs/OLBs.

And then no one is ever in the same place.

Formation Subs are your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 8

I am in year 5 of an offline CFM with the Bears, and I stuck with the aggressive 3-4 since I already had a pretty good NT in Eddie Goldman. That is the hardest DLineman to get in a draft.

I got aggressive in free agency and signed Stephon Tuitt and then later Robert Nkdemdiche as my ends. Developed Leonard Floyd and kept Pernell McPhee as my OLBs. That gave me a front that could plug gaps but also rush the passer -- Nkdemdiche and Floyd has 13 and 12 sacks respectively in my most recent season on All-Pro. I have been in the top 5 defenses each year and also was in top 5-10 sacks the last two seasons.

I think there is less room for error in terms of personnel with the 3-4, but it can be very effective.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #21
Rookie

mjd113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando70
I am in year 5 of an offline CFM with the Bears, and I stuck with the aggressive 3-4 since I already had a pretty good NT in Eddie Goldman. That is the hardest DLineman to get in a draft.

I got aggressive in free agency and signed Stephon Tuitt and then later Robert Nkdemdiche as my ends. Developed Leonard Floyd and kept Pernell McPhee as my OLBs. That gave me a front that could plug gaps but also rush the passer -- Nkdemdiche and Floyd has 13 and 12 sacks respectively in my most recent season on All-Pro. I have been in the top 5 defenses each year and also was in top 5-10 sacks the last two seasons.

I think there is less room for error in terms of personnel with the 3-4, but it can be very effective.

I actually had a Bears CFM earlier. Went with the 3-4 to start. Eventually moved to a 4-3.

McPhee and Floyd is a beast DE combo. Goldman is solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #22
Rookie

I still haven't found a DT that "breaks" Madden's AI and functions realistically.

If the AI wants to move your NT out of the play, It will move your NT out of the play. With a NT and an UT, sometimes It's easier to "catch" the RB in traffic.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #23
MVP

prey2god's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21

You mean what is my angle about using the Bengals D? They're 43 dominant and I seem to get better tackle stats as well as better shutdown D with the 43 as opposed to the 34.

Maybe it's the 4 front pressure, but I get way better/realistic stats and gameplay using it.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:44 PM   #24
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Couple things I find issue with in Madden, with 3-4, is that the plays are essentially 4-3 play diagrams copied onto a 3-4...The 3-4 requires, in theory, stronger outside LB's who tend to be slower in speed. the 3-4 requires the 2 inside LB's to be the cover LB's and the 4-3 requires the MLB and RLB to be cover LB's in nickel, which is essentially the new base formation regardless of the defense being 3-4 or 4-3..

With speed still being the king in Madden, you ultimately get more speed players on the field when running a 4-3 base, especially using the 4-3 nickel normal, as your 4 down linemen will be faster than any true 3-4 DE, and your 4-3 DE's will also have more strength and block shed than your typical 3-4 OLB.

Also I have found that Finesse Move is superior for LB's and DE's, which fits the 4-3 player best, where Power Move and Tackle is best suited for DT's..In the 3-4 your dealing with OLB's and DE's with more Power Move ability, and I have had less QB pressure from a true 3-4 team based on traditional attributes necessary for the positions.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 02-27-2017 at 11:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »