Home

34 vs 43 Defense

This is a discussion on 34 vs 43 Defense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

OVR: 0
34 vs 43 Defense

So I bring up the age old debate about whether you can effectively run a 34 defense on Madden as well as you can a 43. Each year it seems the game takes steps to improve the gameplay for running an odd front defense but still leaves something to be desired.

A big selling point to the game this season was the defenses ability to play gap sound football and in theory, allow for more realistic 34 experience. So after months of playing the game, who has stuck it out and believes in the 34? Or have you resorted back to the old consistent ways of the 4 man fronts. Please state what mode you play in mostly and how competitive it is.

For me I bounce back and forth. In my CFM with friends I started out as a 34, currently running a 43 and considering go back to a 34 if that's what my personnel dictates next season. On my offline I am running a 34 because I think it's more interesting and I'm not as competitive against just the CPU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Rookie

mjd113's Arena

Re: 34 vs 43 Defense

In the past, it seemed impossible to run a 3-4 based on the fact that your NT was always blocked by a single lineman, which basically nullifies the point of the defense.

I would say they've made GREAT improvements on that. Seeing a lot more double teaming of the DL guys in a 3-4. Which balances out the numbers.

I've always personally used a 4-3, I just picture a defense like the 07 Giants. Two great DEs wreaking havoc from the outside while the two DTs crash the middle.

I've also never been that big on Zone Blitzing. If it doesn't work you get killed.

I'm prefer Cover 3, Nickle defense.

I'd say realistically most teams IRL play Nickle about 60-70 % of the time anyways. To cover 3 WR sets. And pass catching HBs and TEs.

My current CFM is with the Steelers. I started with the 3-4. And eventually have shifted to the 4-3. Got rid of Jarvis Jones and moved Dupree to OLB once I found my two new DEs (95 ovr and 87 ovr) plus my two 90 ovr DTs.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher_0_3
So I bring up the age old debate about whether you can effectively run a 34 defense on Madden as well as you can a 43. Each year it seems the game takes steps to improve the gameplay for running an odd front defense but still leaves something to be desired.

A big selling point to the game this season was the defenses ability to play gap sound football and in theory, allow for more realistic 34 experience. So after months of playing the game, who has stuck it out and believes in the 34? Or have you resorted back to the old consistent ways of the 4 man fronts. Please state what mode you play in mostly and how competitive it is.

For me I bounce back and forth. In my CFM with friends I started out as a 34, currently running a 43 and considering go back to a 34 if that's what my personnel dictates next season. On my offline I am running a 34 because I think it's more interesting and I'm not as competitive against just the CPU.
To me it comes down to personnel. I play offline cfm. I haven't been able to run a 43 with success in a few years in Madden. I find the 34 to be what works best for me. I play an aggressive 1 gap 34 and it gives me the best balance in defending the run and pass. I do use a 4 man front in nickel but that's because I don't have the bodies for a 2 gap 335.

I can't answer definitely which is "better" but for my tastes it's a 34
Old 02-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Rookie

I don't think you can speak as to which is better, at least not at this stage in the NFL. Massive success has been seen in both fronts, with multiple schemes, the 4-3 Cover 3 look that Seattle ran, and the 3-4 of Denver. Many 3-4s play like a weak/strong 4-3. Look at Miller/Mack playing almost exclusively on the line. Very few schemes rely on a true 3-man front. You'd need some hogs up front to make that work.

As for me in Madden, I run a 3-4. I'm by no means a Blitzburgh fan, but the scheme has always interested me. As for building the team, I think 4-3s are easier to build. I struggle to find the right player types for my 3-4 scheme in the draft. Nose tackles are almost always busts. You have very specific needs in a 3-4 scheme, and that can make life difficult if that kind of talent isn't available. That being said, 3-4 pass rushers can be found in all rounds this year which makes the 3-4 more viable.

A 4-3 is much more fluid. Its easier to "condense" a player's responsibilities from a 3-4 to a 4-3 look rather than vice-versa because each player's role is much more defined. Every front seven player should know how to rush the pasher, but not every F7 can cover. If you want an example of the scheme change IRL, watch the Ram's change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 this offseason. Donald was already announced as a RE instead of a DT.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:19 PM   #5
Rookie

mjd113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Tortilla
I don't think you can speak as to which is better, at least not at this stage in the NFL. Massive success has been seen in both fronts, with multiple schemes, the 4-3 Cover 3 look that Seattle ran, and the 3-4 of Denver. Many 3-4s play like a weak/strong 4-3. Look at Miller/Mack playing almost exclusively on the line. Very few schemes rely on a true 3-man front. You'd need some hogs up front to make that work.

As for me in Madden, I run a 3-4. I'm by no means a Blitzburgh fan, but the scheme has always interested me. As for building the team, I think 4-3s are easier to build. I struggle to find the right player types for my 3-4 scheme in the draft. Nose tackles are almost always busts. You have very specific needs in a 3-4 scheme, and that can make life difficult if that kind of talent isn't available. That being said, 3-4 pass rushers can be found in all rounds this year which makes the 3-4 more viable.

A 4-3 is much more fluid. Its easier to "condense" a player's responsibilities from a 3-4 to a 4-3 look rather than vice-versa because each player's role is much more defined. Every front seven player should know how to rush the pasher, but not every F7 can cover. If you want an example of the scheme change IRL, watch the Ram's change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 this offseason. Donald was already announced as a RE instead of a DT.

3-4 OLBs make wonderful 4-3 DEs.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Lots of 3-4 systems in the NFL these days employ attacking 1-gap responsibility for NT/DEs instead of the more traditional 2-gap. Wade Phillips basically built the Texans & Broncos defenses that way, and it's spawned a lot of copycats. In part because a 2-gap NT is a rare specimen, and in part because of the success of 1-gap systems, these 1-gap 3-4s have become a lot more popular recently.

So in that vein, 3-4 is represented about as well in Madden as 4-3 is and yes, you can have a lot of success running it. We've had a couple Super Bowl champs in my very competitive 32-man CFM who ran a 3-4.

Whether Madden handles a more traditional 2-gap system well and beastly NTs who truly require a double-team is probably iffier.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 02-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

In real life the line between 4-3 and 3-4 has gotten blurred with the prevalence of fronts like 4-3 Under, 3-4 Predator, and the like. You have five guys at or within a yard of the line of scrimmage in both those fronts, so it's less immediately obvious what the defense actually intends to do with its front seven pre-snap. Obviously gap responsibility varies between how the two fronts play out and what sort of players you need to succeed with either, however.

In Madden 17 I've seen successful defenses using both the 4-3 and 3-4. Personally I base out of 4-3 Under almost exclusively at this point, but many people in the league I run, including our most recent Super Bowl champion, use the 3-4.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 02-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Rookie

mjd113's Arena

Or you could be Romeo Crennel and just have EVERYONE stand up...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »