Home

Help with my defense

This is a discussion on Help with my defense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Help with my defense

Just to let you know, I'm playing offline CFM and I'm playing the Eagles with attacking 4-3. I usually let the game pick my plays for me and the game keeps putting either a rolb or a lolb on a receiver instead of a db. I would much rather have an extra defensive back on that receiver instead of that linebacker.

Is there any way to fix this? I believe most of the time when this happens I'm in a nickel formation.

Last edited by OrangeSky; 02-27-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Re: Help with my defense

sometimes its a matter of flipping the play at the LOS. Others may know a better way though.

Major Boise State fan
Old 02-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Always pick your own plays as the CPU will continuously put you in the situation of a LB on a WR...Essentially the CPU calls base plays way too much...
Old 02-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Always pick your own plays as the CPU will continuously put you in the situation of a LB on a WR...Essentially the CPU calls base plays way too much...
I would do that, but the problem is I have no idea when to pick zone, man or blitz. Just letting the CPU suggest plays for me is much easier and faster. I hear what you are saying though. I guess I could try picking my own plays and see how that goes.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSky
I would do that, but the problem is I have no idea when to pick zone, man or blitz. Just letting the CPU suggest plays for me is much easier and faster. I hear what you are saying though. I guess I could try picking my own plays and see how that goes.
You don't need to be a mastermind defensively to figure it out, you can pull it off. I'm not a great defensive mind, but I just consider my matchups. In the first few plays, I look at the matchup cam. If my DB's seem to match well (IE speed, release, etc), I'll give more man-to-man a shot. If their receivers have a big speed advantage, I go zone.

Then play it by ear, based on what works. If they're torching you in zone, try man-to-man and/or some blitz packages. If they're throwing a lot and running poorly, I'll stick more to nickel and dime sets, even if they only have 2 WR, so I can have some better matchups on TE's and RB's.

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSky
Here is how I play it; I try to get players with better man coverage first off...

On 1st down I generally run a zone, like a Cover 4 because it has run support for Safeties and the zones on the outside can help cover outside runs, use shade under...I also run a Nickel Cover 3 Press and shade my Corners under...

Next, and this is my own simple rule, the better the QB you're facing, the more M2M plays you wanna use..From my experience, QB's like Brady and Rodgers just tear up zone coverage...
Old 03-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
MVP

Re: Hwelp with my defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Here is how I play it; I try to get players with better man coverage first off...

On 1st down I generally run a zone, like a Cover 4 because it has run support for Safeties and the zones on the outside can help cover outside runs, use shade under...I also run a Nickel Cover 3 Press and shade my Corners under...

Next, and this is my own simple rule, the better the QB you're facing, the more M2M plays you wanna use..From my experience, QB's like Brady and Rodgers just tear up zone coverage...
I tend to play more man when the field is big and more zone as it shrinks. That is just a preference I have because as the field shrinks the less area each defnders has to cover in zone.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 1

some D tips:
- if a team is in 21 personnel, i blitz. send more guys towards the line cos more often than not, it's a running play.
- if i get to the LoS and the QB is under centre, there's a good chance i blitz.
- mainly play man against 3 and 4 WR sets.
- often play 4 CB against 3 WR sets cos i want a CB on their TE.
- if i've got a team on 3rd & 8, 9 or 10, i'll play zone to draw a line across the first down marker.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »