Home

I need help with rushing

This is a discussion on I need help with rushing within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I need help with rushing

It seems like every time I attempt to rush I either get a loss of yards, or I only get 1-2 yards per rush. I'm rushing on the side with the green box, and I'm still having trouble. The only running play I've had any kind of success with is the HB draw, but even that doesn't happen very often. Am I doing something wrong? I hate having to rely on passing only because I cant run the ball lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Rookie

mjd113's Arena

I need help with rushing

Don't use speed burst right away.
Follow your blocks.
Anticipation.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
Rookie

goldbarsoldier's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: I need help with rushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashhat69
It seems like every time I attempt to rush I either get a loss of yards, or I only get 1-2 yards per rush. I'm rushing on the side with the green box, and I'm still having trouble. The only running play I've had any kind of success with is the HB draw, but even that doesn't happen very often. Am I doing something wrong? I hate having to rely on passing only because I cant run the ball lol.
I've found that I don't have any success with speed or one cut backs but I can consistently move the chains with power backs. So I would suggest trying out different types of HBs to see which ones you have success with.....the type of linemen you have also matters. If you have pass blockers at the guard positions it's pretty tough to move guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Try Eagles playbook - Bunch Open Offset, and run the Inside Zone play... It is a solid run play... As you learn to run the ball, using run plays from shotgun formations helps...

Also, notice how blocks form so you know who is going to block which defender pre-snap.. Generally, from the Center, he will block the player manned up on him, or the next player closest if in a 3 technique or closer... Blocking from the outside in, the RT will block to his right, if not manned up on, and the RG blocks to his right, if not manned up...

On the left side, the LT blocks to the nearest player to his left, and left guard to his left...

Generally the defender in a 3 technique will see a double team; so you will have either RG or LG and Center taking him....

The Center will take on a LB if DT's in 4 man fronts or DE's in a 2-4-5 formation are equally spaced..

NOte: these are basics; there are other rules to further understand blocking assignments, but this should help for now..
Old 03-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

I've developed a running scheme around the Singleback - Jumbo set, but its concepts can be applied to a lot of other formations as well. I won't say it's anything special, and I only use it for my games vs. AI, but it could be a good place to start.

- Audibles: be able to audible into two distinct pass plays and two distinct run plays. I use Slants and Mesh for the pass plays. Slants is great against man coverage, but it's also decent against zone because there's a stick concept on the strong side of the formation. Mesh is a fallback if I don't think the slants will work. Usually the drags can get at least a few yards if you play it right, or there's a corner route to your TE if you want to take it deeper. For the run plays I have HB dive and stretch (One inside, one outside)

- Playcall: Never call any of your audibles as your initial playcall. I often call HB Zone Weak, Inside Zone, HB Toss or a deep pass, as these calls are most distinct from any of the audibles I have. Essentially you want to have 5 distinct options for plays you can run once you're at the LOS instead of 4.

- Before the snap: This is 80% of your run game. Getting into the right play. The skills trainer does a great job of telling you how to get into the right passing play, but a pretty mediocre job of telling you how to get into the right run play, but I recommend running through it anyway. The most obvious change you can make is: 7 in the box or 2 high safety, run the ball; 8 in the box or 1 high safety, throw it. Beyond that, learn how each run play is blocked. For example, the Inside Zone play involves a double team at the point of attack on the DT in the A gap. So if there's a DT in the A gap, direct your run to his side of the formation in almost every situation (red box or not). The idea is that you will want to run into this double team and zig away from the direction the DT tries to steer your blockers. If the interior D-Lineman is playing the traditional NT spot right over the center, Inside Zone isn't as effective because your Guard has to go further to make the double team and it makes the Tackle's job difficult to cover for him. So audible out of Inside Zone if there is a NT lined up over the center (iirc, HB Dive works pretty well, and HB Dive also works well if you want to run an inside run play away from a DT lined up in the A gap). So the overarching idea is to know exactly who is going to attempt to block who to the play side of the formation and ascertaining whether you are in the best playcall based on this information.

- After the snap: I think other people can cover this better than me, but just remember where your blockers are and what they will and will not be able to do based on your playcall. Hit the hole ready to make adjustments with your Left thumbstick (not by juking). Not holding down turbo makes this easier, but I find sometimes this bit of advice is overrated--if you see a 5 yard hole closing fast, the best play might be to use turbo to get there. Know your HB's strengths. If he's a speed back, try to juke/spin on anyone about to make a stop (but also know your speed back's abilities--sometimes you can just run around people or make a sharp cut and they will miss, which means you won't have to slow down your momentum with a juke). If he's a power back, try not to take any direct hits and truck when it makes sense.

Hopefully this helps... my advice if you want to improve your run game is just to put 80% of your efforts at getting better at the pre-snap aspect of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
MVP

personally, i find running outside of the OT very difficult. 4 out of 5 runs will be stuffed. for me, you have to run between the OT to find consistent success.

equally, i find gap/power runs the most effective as the pulling OL guy is more likely to meet the second level defender in an effective way.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
personally, i find running outside of the OT very difficult. 4 out of 5 runs will be stuffed. for me, you have to run between the OT to find consistent success.

equally, i find gap/power runs the most effective as the pulling OL guy is more likely to meet the second level defender in an effective way.
I'm more of a zone guy. The pulling guard never seems to go where I want him to, so I stick to blocking concepts that are more predictable for me.

I find HB Stretch to be fairly effective, but you can't call it on any given play; it's situational. Some outside run plays like HB Sweep in the Singleback Jumbo set are garbage--they're basically broken as far as I'm concerned, but I've found HB Toss in the same formation and HB Toss-Crack plays in general work pretty well.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
I'm more of a zone guy. The pulling guard never seems to go where I want him to, so I stick to blocking concepts that are more predictable for me.

I find HB Stretch to be fairly effective, but you can't call it on any given play; it's situational. Some outside run plays like HB Sweep in the Singleback Jumbo set are garbage--they're basically broken as far as I'm concerned, but I've found HB Toss in the same formation and HB Toss-Crack plays in general work pretty well.
interesting. the pulling OG needs high impact blocking & AWR i believe.

which stretch runs do you find work?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »