Home

The scouting system is not integrated at all with AI roster management

This is a discussion on The scouting system is not integrated at all with AI roster management within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: The scouting system is not integrated at all with AI roster management

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrtkolman
I definitely see the need for house rules. This still just destroys the AI's ability to field a competent team when they are drafting clear as day busts in the 1st round instead of that 4th rounder who is obviously a good player based on his combine and skills. I would rather they just prioritize overall rating over draft position and force you to design your own big board.
this comes back to madden trying to be realistic. we want first round busts but we also want an effective scouting system. in a computer game, it's hard to have both. for me, the best way is to do these things:

1. OVR are not disclosed until after they complete their rookie season.
2. during the first first, rookie skills widely fluctuate allowing for guys to go from looking really good to looking bad.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd113
I'm more annoyed with the fact that teams will draft multiple QBs high when they have a young mid 20s QB that's an 82 ovr with quick development.
this is why i draft for all teams in the first round and will also jump in during round two to prevent these kinds of errors. in a recent draft, a team with a solid OL took LT, LT, RT, LT from rounds 1 to 4. both of their OT are 85 and above.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the Great
Yeah the CPU definitely doesn't scout. If you're in an online league and a user joins a previously CPU team they won't have anyone scouted. How they think this is a good idea is beyond me.

Also I think the drafting multiple players at a position issue is caused by the draftees not being added to the team until after the draft is over. So to the CPU it looks like they haven't drafted a QB yet. I've seen them go two straight QBs in the first two rounds before.
your first paragraph doesn’t mean the CPU doesn’t scout.

your second paragraph makes sense and is what i’ve long thought.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrtkolman
I think you are right, however I do see gems go up to a full half round earlier than they are projected to. I think the CPU uses a combination of overall rating of the player with a ceiling of when they can first take them. It's obviously still a bad system.
yep, i’ve seen middle of the second round player suddenly gone #20 overall.

Last edited by ajra21; 04-04-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
Rookie

markjsn's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the Great
Yeah the CPU definitely doesn't scout. If you're in an online league and a user joins a previously CPU team they won't have anyone scouted. How they think this is a good idea is beyond me.

Also I think the drafting multiple players at a position issue is caused by the draftees not being added to the team until after the draft is over. So to the CPU it looks like they haven't drafted a QB yet. I've seen them go two straight QBs in the first two rounds before.

Yeah just saw the bears take 3 straight qbs. The sad part is they missed the 3 or 4 with the quick or superstar dev trait and ended up with all normal. Lol
Old 04-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #14
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

To me, it doesn't seem like the roster management AI should be that difficult.

a) what kind of players does my team philosophy want at this position?
b) do I have a player at the position? yes/no
c) do I have a good player at the position? yes/no
d) do I have multiple good players at this position? yes/no
e) what is the age and/or contract status of the player(s) at this position?

Since "good" can be quantified in this game somewhat by OVR as it relates to scheme, the AI should be able to establish a much better "needs" list than the Top 5 needs than the game currently calculates in the Trade screen.

Just having the CPU run those few variables would be a Godsend to the AI management of these teams and their draft picks.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFreakingBerry
To me, it doesn't seem like the roster management AI should be that difficult.

a) what kind of players does my team philosophy want at this position?
b) do I have a player at the position? yes/no
c) do I have a good player at the position? yes/no
d) do I have multiple good players at this position? yes/no
e) what is the age and/or contract status of the player(s) at this position?

Since "good" can be quantified in this game somewhat by OVR as it relates to scheme, the AI should be able to establish a much better "needs" list than the Top 5 needs than the game currently calculates in the Trade screen.

Just having the CPU run those few variables would be a Godsend to the AI management of these teams and their draft picks.
Yep. Hell, if they want to take the lazy approach...I would be fine with them just capping each position to 1 pick per team. Meaning a CPU team will only pick 1 player per position per draft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #16
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

I think the best scouting system they can have is a qualitative scouting report based system where you can read about the players for hints at their intangibles, development trait, etc., and have access to combine stats. There would be a lot of randomness and false positives in the reports, but you would at least be able to tell more or less if the guy is the similar "type" of player to what you're looking for. Casual players can just look at the combine stats, hardcore GMs can sift through scouting reports to find their guy. Getting the letter grades directly just makes it impossible to have a fun, challenging, or realistic system.

If we have to stick to the existing system, I suggest just add a lot of randomness to it, especially in the later rounds. Scouts can be wrong about intangibles, so add a wide margin for error there, and I think making 2nd-7th round picks have a lot more quick and slow dev players would be interesting. That TE you thought you could grab in the 4th round that had three Bs in catching and great movement skills? Well his skills didn't translate to the NFL. He got hit with a low "dice roll," so he's got slow dev, and even his catching proved to be mediocre with tougher NFL defenders poking at the ball. He's still fast and can produce, but he's not the sure-fire blue chip 4th rounder you would have had in Madden 17.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »