Home

The scouting system is not integrated at all with AI roster management

This is a discussion on The scouting system is not integrated at all with AI roster management within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The scouting system is not integrated at all with AI roster management

Qualitative scouting reports instead of letter grade solve only one part of the problem. AI can't read and interpret scouting report, so in the background there are still grades the AI will use for drafting.

What Madden needs is just much more randomness and fluctuation. That could be a range of 10-20 points per skill during the first few 100 snaps and it gets clearer each snap and each training session. That could be a huge drop in skills and development after a bad season - so the good looking QB in the rookie year regresses dramatically in year 2 (works the other way of course too!). A talented first-round pick has all the skills to succeed, but is just always injured (or has off-the-field issues, but unlikely to be implemented) and regresses and drops development.

But I understand it's a very fine line to not annoy players. You have your new Superstar QB (now: you KNOW he will be great), but with a few changes in the system he could just be trash and never be a good starter. Of course that will annoy us and you will see threads with complaints.

I would go for ranges during the first few 100 snaps, so you'll never know how good a prospect really is before you play with him. And maybe some more variation with development, there should be just much more players developing very slow and just become a servicable player after years in the league. And important: Trash the development cap at 25. Many QBs are just starting to develop at 25, no reason to just cut it there.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #18
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
this comes back to madden trying to be realistic. we want first round busts but we also want an effective scouting system. in a computer game, it's hard to have both. for me, the best way is to do these things:

1. OVR are not disclosed until after they complete their rookie season.
2. during the first first, rookie skills widely fluctuate allowing for guys to go from looking really good to looking bad.
Give me old school scouting. Compare the guys to current/legendary players, show me their combine results, show me college stats.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Give me old school scouting. Compare the guys to current/legendary players, show me their combine results, show me college stats.
when did they give you stats and player comps?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #20
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
when did they give you stats and player comps?
Ps2 golden era
Old 04-06-2017, 03:54 AM   #21
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
I think the best scouting system they can have is a qualitative scouting report based system where you can read about the players for hints at their intangibles, development trait, etc., and have access to combine stats. There would be a lot of randomness and false positives in the reports, but you would at least be able to tell more or less if the guy is the similar "type" of player to what you're looking for. Casual players can just look at the combine stats, hardcore GMs can sift through scouting reports to find their guy. Getting the letter grades directly just makes it impossible to have a fun, challenging, or realistic system.

If we have to stick to the existing system, I suggest just add a lot of randomness to it, especially in the later rounds. Scouts can be wrong about intangibles, so add a wide margin for error there, and I think making 2nd-7th round picks have a lot more quick and slow dev players would be interesting. That TE you thought you could grab in the 4th round that had three Bs in catching and great movement skills? Well his skills didn't translate to the NFL. He got hit with a low "dice roll," so he's got slow dev, and even his catching proved to be mediocre with tougher NFL defenders poking at the ball. He's still fast and can produce, but he's not the sure-fire blue chip 4th rounder you would have had in Madden 17.

This was all in the game as recently as Madden 09! That was the last random draft class generator until the recent version, you had scouting reports on intangibles and a skill wheel for all players with combine stats. But the more you scouted a player the more accurate the report was... Bring it all back but please don't tote it as a super shiny new feature, it was in the game before.

To solve the CPU draft logic, essentially you need the CPU team to build their own draft board with a points style system like they do in free agency. This would be hidden and put together like:
  • Team need at position group
  • Fits team archetype
  • Fits overall team style
  • Fits position coach preference
  • Fits team morale (good/bad/neutral influence), some teams care less
  • Combine grade
  • Skills grade (catching, accuracy etc)
  • Intangibles grade (chemistry, consistency, development)
  • Durability grade
  • Projected round value
Add up the points and that creates an order for the CPU draft board. They will try and draft the best player available if that is there style, or if there is a big disparity between the current starter and potential rookie they will focus on need.

They could also identify gems themselves this way to draft ahead or identify a player they could trade up for. All those 1st round busts would get left untouched and later gems move up into the 1st/2nd naturally. If a player was predicted to go at spot 16 and a team at spot 20 had a higher point value for that player than any other player predicted spots 16-26 they would try and trade up to get good value. A team where the player point value doesn't match the draft pick value would try and trade down with a willing partner who has a different looking draft board.

The Browns have an astronomical grade on Myles Garrett apparently, which would trump need at QB whereas the Madden CPU will draft QB,QB,QB in rounds 1-3.

Edit: Also they need to get rid of so many specific scouting groups i.e. RE, LE, DT, LOLB, ROLB. They need DL (hand in dirt), Pass Rusher (OLB in 3-4 or DEin 4-3), LB (All spots in 4-3, MLB in 3-4). Then a 3-4 CPU team with a need at RE wont pass on a gem of a 290lb DT whereas they could shift them to 3-4 D.

I yack on about this here:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...lity-idea.html

Last edited by Mattanite; 04-06-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #22
Rookie

mjd113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude
All those 1st round busts would get left untouched

I like pretty much everything you said except this part.

1st round busts are a thing. They should be a thing.

Create a scouting/draft system that allows for it. But doesn't over do it.

I just don't want to have to handicap myself just so I'm so far ahead of the computer. I understand it's not as easy as I'm making it sound. Hell I don't even know how to make a video game.

But they do. So.. do it. Correctly.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #23
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

The LOLB/ROLB, LE/RE thing is one of my biggest pet peeves at this point in the game. They really need to completely overhaul how the game handles schemes and make it more about how the player fits the scheme than how the scheme fits the player.

And please, for the love of everything holy, fix the AI coaching carousel bugs that make a team end up with jacked up player styles in comparison to a team's defense. Literally no 3-4 defense in the world calls for Run Stopping OLBs or speed rushing ends.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 1

i dont know much as ive never played as im a brit but i know i need certain things for my 3-4

are there players :

- 6' 5" + height who are 290 odd who can bsh and tackle
- is there a 6' 2" 320 odd who can handle double teams
- are there lbers who are 6' 2" + who can tackle and bsh or are fast and can cover
- are there safeties that would be better at lber and vice versa

all of the above ignoring college position. i usually find my des are 4-3 dts for example. college position is irrelevant do they have a skill set and physicals i can use

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »