Home

If You Have A Rigid Idea of Sim Style Play, Read This.

This is a discussion on If You Have A Rigid Idea of Sim Style Play, Read This. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #17
Rookie

dsk1317's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: If You Have A Rigid Idea of Sim Style Play, Read This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd113
I wouldn't call 70 yards and a TD "shut down" but that's just me.
Compare it to the 120.5 yards the falcons averaged during the regular reason!

Sent from my XT1080 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #18
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk1317
They shut down the Falcons OZ scheme, and they did it with their nickel package.

Did they?

In the regular season match up the Falcons averaged 4.74 yards per carry, and in the NFC Championship the Falcons got 101 yards and 2 TDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk1317
Compare it to the 120.5 yards the falcons averaged during the regular reason!

It's easy to get 120 yards per game when you're blowing out so many teams. The first Packers game was very close, mind you (and the Falcons averaged almost 5 yards per carry), and the second one the Falcons spent a lot of time running up the score with the passing game. Not to mention, in that second game the Packers loading the box might be part of why the Falcons completely shredded them through the air.

It should also be noted that the Falcons running game was inflated due to a couple of embarrassing performances in which they got well over 200 yards. They also had under 100 yards 6 times, including games of 48, 52, 52, and 66 rushing yards.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 04-03-2017 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

For me, it's about how many guys you have in the box rather than the package used. Teams a lot of times use the Nickle as an extra safety in those scenarios. It when you can play Nickle with a 2 high look that gets me.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
Rookie

dsk1317's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Did they?

In the regular season match up the Falcons averaged 4.74 yards per carry, and in the NFC Championship the Falcons got 101 yards and 2 TDs.

It's easy to get 120 yards per game when you're blowing out so many teams. The first Packers game was very close, mind you (and the Falcons averaged almost 5 yards per carry), and the second one the Falcons spent a lot of time running up the score with the passing game. Not to mention, in that second game the Packers loading the box might be part of why the Falcons completely shredded them through the air.

It should also be noted that the Falcons running game was inflated due to a couple of embarrassing performances in which they got well over 200 yards. They also had under 100 yards 6 times, including games of 48, 52, 52, and 66 rushing yards.
23 of those yards came from Matt Ryan, 7 from Sanu. I don't know about you, but I think that's good run D.

Last edited by dsk1317; 04-03-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle81
For me, it's about how many guys you have in the box rather than the package used. Teams a lot of times use the Nickle as an extra safety in those scenarios. It when you can play Nickle with a 2 high look that gets me.
There's still a lot of nuances even then though. Take 21 personnel for instance. You do your nickel back a huge disservice asking him to possibly take on a FB or an offensive lineman, or a TE who can actually block.

Madden has a huge issue with that stuff. The issues stem from OL/FB targeting in which they just sometimes don't block anyone; to Physics issues in which nickel CB's can stand up OL/FB with one shoulder and at times even make the tackle for a loss. It's silly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
There's still a lot of nuances even then though. Take 21 personnel for instance. You do your nickel back a huge disservice asking him to possibly take on a FB or an offensive lineman, or a TE who can actually block.

Madden has a huge issue with that stuff. The issues stem from OL/FB targeting in which they just sometimes don't block anyone; to Physics issues in which nickel CB's can stand up OL/FB with one shoulder and at times even make the tackle for a loss. It's silly.
I'm with you man, I'm just saying 8 in the box is 8 in the box. It's when I come out in 21 and they play a 2 high look and I get stopped where my real issue kicks in. Basically there isn't a disadvantage playing Nickle as opposed to base defenses
Old 04-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle81
I'm with you man, I'm just saying 8 in the box is 8 in the box. It's when I come out in 21 and they play a 2 high look and I get stopped where my real issue kicks in. Basically there isn't a disadvantage playing Nickle as opposed to base defenses
That's where we disagree slightly. To say 8 is 8 to me is like the person who's trying to lose weight saying a calorie is a calorie and that's just not going to help them achieve their goal. Specific calories matter and in this case specific personnel matters. If I'm in 21 personnel and I'm running a sweep right at your nickel back my guard is picking up the first face that shows, which most likely is going to be your nickel back. There is just not a nickel corner brave enough to like this kind of match up.

Or if I'm running the power play at your Nickel CB and my FB happens to get matched up on your Nickel and it's a FB who can actually stonewall linebackers, what Nickel CB is going to want to deal with that?

Now if one is in this look and one is stunting it may cause some confusion and guys might miss assignments, but no way in a base look a Nickel back is going to like what his coach is asking him to do.

Now if a team is using a Spur - Hybrid Safety/Linebacker at around 218-230 lbs in the nickel spot then things change a little but not completely. If it's an 180 lb CB he should get buried.

I actually remember the year NE Patriots ran this exact defense with Harrison, Victor Greene and I cannot remember the 3rd guy. But the Dolphins ran their asses off the field with the Wildcat. So I don't mind anyone running nickel as a base defense, the problem I have is I know how to run that crap right off the damn field and put a person who wants to do that in a begging position, but Madden doesn't allow the counter to work. You want to run Nickel every play, fine. Let me get in tackle over with a FB and destroy it then. But that's where madden falls short.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
That's where we disagree slightly. To say 8 is 8 to me is like the person who's trying to lose weight saying a calorie is a calorie and that's just not going to help them achieve their goal. Specific calories matter and in this case specific personnel matters. If I'm in 21 personnel and I'm running a sweep right at your nickel back my guard is picking up the first face that shows, which most likely is going to be your nickel back. There is just not a nickel corner brave enough to like this kind of match up.

Or if I'm running the power play at your Nickel CB and my FB happens to get matched up on your Nickel and it's a FB who can actually stonewall linebackers, what Nickel CB is going to want to deal with that?

Now if one is in this look and one is stunting it may cause some confusion and guys might miss assignments, but no way in a base look a Nickel back is going to like what his coach is asking him to do.

Now if a team is using a Spur - Hybrid Safety/Linebacker at around 218-230 lbs in the nickel spot then things change a little but not completely. If it's an 180 lb CB he should get buried.

I actually remember the year NE Patriots ran this exact defense with Harrison, Victor Greene and I cannot remember the 3rd guy. But the Dolphins ran their asses off the field with the Wildcat. So I don't mind anyone running nickel as a base defense, the problem I have is I know how to run that crap right off the damn field and put a person who wants to do that in a begging position, but Madden doesn't allow the counter to work. You want to run Nickel every play, fine. Let me get in tackle over with a FB and destroy it then. But that's where madden falls short.
Again I'm with you. I'm talking about having a hybrid guy in the slot rather than a true CB. Won't argue with you on that point. I'm just saying just because your alignment is in a 2-4-5 doesn't mean your personel is a Nickle package. That's what a lot of college teams do and pro teams are starting to implement it (especially if you have a good TE). Again, it's all about light numbers in the box that others me as long as the personel makes sense, I don't care about the alignment for the most part, although a 3-2-6 shouldn't stop a cold run wise

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »