Home

M17 (PS4) vs M07 (PS2/Original XBox)

This is a discussion on M17 (PS4) vs M07 (PS2/Original XBox) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: M17 (PS4) vs M07 (PS2/Original XBox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
This is 100% wrong. In fact, dating back to at least Madden 2004 there was a menu in the staff hiring section of the off-season explicitly dedicated to coach progression and regression where coaches would progress and regress in not only position specific ratings but also ratings in Motivation, Work Ethic, Chemistry, Knowledge, Offense and Defense. The boosts players would receive could also change in accordance to these progressions and regressions. Just simming through one season of Madden 07 just now and I saw my OL and TE boosts go from exclusively +1 AWR to +3 AWR, +2 PBK, and +2 RBK all with the same coaching staff as the year prior.
I intentionally omitted those ratings because as far as I knew they had no gameplay function. At no point in playing any old Madden game with this setup do I recall seeing those ratings explained, nor do I recall observing any effect they had on my team. They certainly weren't explained anywhere in-game or in the manual.

In fact, this is actually the first time I've ever heard someone claim to know the function of the coach ratings in those old games. I'll take your word for it that they did something, but those ratings certainly never felt important to me.

Regardless, Madden 17 replaces these unreadable ratings with the traits system for coaches. There are traits for increasing player XP payouts in games and practices (which increases their rate of progression), increasing free agency influence (which gives you a small boost in offseason free agency), increasing scouting point (which increases your ability to draft intelligently) decreasing player retirement chances, and so on. In the cases of player XP payout increases, free agency influence, and scouting points, the amount of increase provided is very evident or otherwise discoverable, which results in a more transparent, readable, understandable, and thus better game.

Quote:
Once players hit 26 they uniformly start dropping in all physical categories at a rapid pace.
29 is the inflection point based on my experience (and also an extensive breakdown I saw of the player regression mechanics in this year's game), but yes at that point regression is unforgiving, which places immediate and obvious importance on drafting well. Regression is also very predictable based on a player's development trait.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

If you play vs cpu or coach mode one significant pro to 07 or 08 is that the the QB will actually scramble and take off and run, which is something 17 doesnt do. I think 15 and maybe even 16 before patches had good qb mobility/tuck and run mechanics
Old 05-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah Qb take off and run in 07 and other ps2 era games.

And Deuce is correct on what he said about coaches attributes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #12
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
If you are going old madden go pc version dude. In order to play though. You need windows 8 or older. Pretty sure windows 10 won't work.

Oh and go madden 08 or 05. 07 Isn't quite as good.

I think '07 plays really well. The animations are smoother and more realistic than '08, especially DB play. (Not as unrealistic with make-up speed, less full speed high jumping)

You can run on Win10.. But there are hoops to jump through. Even running on Win7 some have big issues depending on which Service Pack and Win Updates are installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

*Allegedly* people have been able to use the pc roster editors on PS2 files.

I've tried a few times with no success. But the info is on the interwebs.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #14
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I think '07 plays really well. The animations are smoother and more realistic than '08, especially DB play. (Not as unrealistic with make-up speed, less full speed high jumping)

You can run on Win10.. But there are hoops to jump through. Even running on Win7 some have big issues depending on which Service Pack and Win Updates are installed.

I personally prefer the lower ratings of 08 to 07.

And I'll have to read up on win10 workarounds then.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #15
MVP

underdog13's Arena

But yeah OP, if you are going back to older Madden's, go the PC route. So many customization options you don't get on ps2.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #16
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

I think '05 is where the Title stopped truly progressing.

As the shift toward XBox360 and PS3 started in 2006, the stat engine derailed. As did the RB1/RB2 slider. That gen PS2/PC never truly recovered. It takes tons of time to undo that damage in a franchise file. Or you live with bad sim stats.

2005 is a good game. A tad over the top on defense. But some enjoy the challenge of rarely executing a perfect game, as opposed to doing it regularly on '07-'08.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »