Home

M17 (PS4) vs M07 (PS2/Original XBox)

This is a discussion on M17 (PS4) vs M07 (PS2/Original XBox) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #17
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: M17 (PS4) vs M07 (PS2/Original XBox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I think '05 is where the Title stopped truly progressing.

As the shift toward XBox360 and PS3 started in 2006, the stat engine derailed. As did the RB1/RB2 slider. That gen PS2/PC never truly recovered. It takes tons of time to undo that damage in a franchise file. Or you live with bad sim stats.

2005 is a good game. A tad over the top on defense. But some enjoy the challenge of rarely executing a perfect game, as opposed to doing it regularly on '07-'08.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Yeah 04 and 05 are the best imo. I have a 25 year sim franchise that I've been doing with a friend. He edits the draft classes so we haven't experienced the lack of offense that comes over time. I've exported alot of the good teams over the years. Really cool to see them play each other cpu v cpu with the tendencies I set in the coach options.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 06:23 AM   #18
Rookie

bigdnlaca's Arena

OVR: 2

Both had their cons. I think the ps2 xbox maddens at that time (especially 07 and beyond) was very easy to beat the cpu on am because the wr catches were too easy to complete.

Yes 07-08 had a better franchise than 17 but i think that is about it.

My opinion is Madden 04-05 were the best on field, off field, and cpu roster mgt. But even these games had some flaws. 04 was too offensive (on all madden, it has a good balance of off and defense but the cpu can run up the score) and 05 was too defensive. But the challenge on all madden in both of these games made you really play to your team strengths (unlike 07 and later where you can go 98 vikings with any team that had a decent wr).

Another minor grip from the ps2 xbox days was that any rb can make a killing catching passes out of the backfield for big plays and the cpu rarely adapt to stop it.

Last edited by bigdnlaca; 05-02-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #19
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Madden 08 ps2 or pc was really good. Hands down my favorite game. Madden 09 on ps2 brought back the ability to make your own plays tho. Loved that feature.

I'd probably recommend 09 if you enjoy designing your own playbook from scratch, otherwise 08 or 07.

The PS4 games just aren't enjoyable for me. Hard to explain why, but they don't.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #20
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Madden 08 ps2 or pc was really good. Hands down my favorite game. Madden 09 on ps2 brought back the ability to make your own plays tho. Loved that feature.

I'd probably recommend 09 if you enjoy designing your own playbook from scratch, otherwise 08 or 07.

The PS4 games just aren't enjoyable for me. Hard to explain why, but they don't.

You can design your own plays on madden 08 pc too.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #21
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
You can design your own plays on madden 08 pc too.

Cool. I figured you could with pc modding. I don't pc game very much. I think madden 04 was the last console version that had it for awhile, then it was brought back in 09.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #22
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Cool. I figured you could with pc modding. I don't pc game very much. I think madden 04 was the last console version that had it for awhile, then it was brought back in 09.

You don't even need modding to create your own plays. But there is a few cool mod tools that allow even more creation options.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #23
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

Madden 07 for XBOX. Did not care for the menus in 08 at all, for either console or PC. 07 has lots of good stuff on the Franchise side of things. Best for immersion. Yes, M17 allows you to be super hands on and controlling, but there's something more immersive in not being able to control every little thing.

Personally, I really do not like the XP system in M17, and I really can't stand the menus in 17, either. Madden 07 is my favorite of the series, but it does have some issues, as well. It's not perfect, but as an overall package for local Franchise multiplayer, I would give the nod to 07. The coaching system, the college all star game, training camps, the radio show, the newspapers... all those make a very immersive mode to play in.

M17 does have things like Practice Squads, expanded rosters, and draft stories that I like, so there are some things to look out for there. But basically M17 worries more about RPG elements and less about immersing you in your own world. That's really the best way I can put it.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #24
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
You don't even need modding to create your own plays. But there is a few cool mod tools that allow even more creation options.

Again, I don't pc game much. I'll have to take your word for it. The console versions 07 and 08 don't have the play creator.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »