Home

Some Madden NFL 18 Game Style Details Revealed - Arcade, Simulation, Competitive

This is a discussion on Some Madden NFL 18 Game Style Details Revealed - Arcade, Simulation, Competitive within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #65
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Some Madden NFL 18 Game Style Details Revealed - Arcade, Simulation, Competitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
Yeah , im with you on this. I dont really see how , even in comp mode, you just have guys never drop catches or ints either one. If so then your team could just be anyone , any bum in game and they play like randy moss or deion sanders. That dont seem to make total sense imo, but i can see what your saying as the case, they get + 5 or something boost to all their attributes in comp mode or something.
But isn't that what the online competitive guys want? They want stick skills to trump everything else. Why would they want player ratings to matter? Then it would be who picked the best team gets a huge advantage. It should be a fair play type situation where teams are essentially the same ratings so user skill dictates the outcome.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #66
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Some Madden NFL 18 Game Style Details Revealed - Arcade, Simulation, Competitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I hope Arcade and Sim aren't simply masking Rookie vs All-Pro on recent Maddens. Meaning if you select Arcade, you're playing on Rookie, etc. I hope there is an obvious difference in the two styles.
Rex was asked earlier how noticably different each 3 mode played . here is his response:

"Rex Dickson‏
@RexDEAFootball

Replying to @AmazonDon703
You'll have to decide for yourself but for me it is like playing 3 different games. Definitely more than just sliders involved."

https://twitter.com/RexDEAFootball/s...19749546049536

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 05-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #67
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

This is why I've said the tuning will be huge. Look where they went on M17 with the sack fumbles etc.. they had to tune to please the greater good.. now they can tune each setting to please that user base. I think this will be huge in regards to that.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #68
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
But isn't that what the online competitive guys want? They want stick skills to trump everything else. Why would they want player ratings to matter? Then it would be who picked the best team gets a huge advantage. It should be a fair play type situation where teams are essentially the same ratings so user skill dictates the outcome.

Yeah, I think the ratings still have to matter. If not, why pick any particular team with any particular players. Best example I can think of is an avg WR with like, 70 spec catch. If playing with this guy, and I press Y for aggressive catch, he should still struggle with it. So, I mean, ratings have to (and should) matter to some degree. I think that's the tweak, the overall 'degree'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #69
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I think this has a chance to be a real difference maker. In my opinion, the game has been so tuned towards the online, competitive crowd over the years that it's robbed the game of some of the randomness that makes the game feel more organic. It's what turned me off to the series years ago. And I get it. People don't want random events to cost them a game when they're playing competitively. That's why you didn't see as many missed throws, easy drops, bad snaps, penalties, etc. Now that the competitive crowd has a dedicated style that puts the emphasis on stick skills, maybe we can put the emphasis on ratings and introduce some of those random elements back into the gameplay for those who want it.

It was always going to be impossible to please both crowds with one style of gameplay. And while I don't want to get too far ahead of myself (we'll have to wait and see how this actually works out), I think this has a chance to be a real game changer for the series.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #70
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
Rex was asked earlier how noticably different each 3 mode played . here is his response:

"Rex Dickson‏
@RexDEAFootball

Replying to @AmazonDon703
You'll have to decide for yourself but for me it is like playing 3 different games. Definitely more than just sliders involved."

https://twitter.com/RexDEAFootball/s...19749546049536

I'm actually pretty stoked to hear that the three game modes have a different feel. I was thinking about this over the weekend and at first I was concerned that "Simulation" would merely be what we have now. But, then it dawned on me...what we have right now on M17 is very much a "compromise" setting (attempting to balance the needs of all of the different communities). But, in watching a little of the tournament this weekend, it is clear that how I play the game (as a sim player) versus how the tourney guys play are just two entirely different things (not a judgment, just stating a fact). Trying to find a balance to appease two vastly different styles of play would be a nearly impossible task and alienating one group to appease another is what causes so much angst within the overall community. Regardless of how well it works, I applaud EA for making the effort for M18.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #71
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Yeah, I think the ratings still have to matter. If not, why pick any particular team with any particular players. Best example I can think of is an avg WR with like, 70 spec catch. If playing with this guy, and I press Y for aggressive catch, he should still struggle with it. So, I mean, ratings have to (and should) matter to some degree. I think that's the tweak, the overall 'degree'.

That's the point of competitive play. Who cares how someone is rated? Stick skills trump that. That's what competitive gaming is about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #72
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky

I think that eliminates the point of competitive game play. It's no longer user v user and it's a roll of the dice with the ratings, which is essentially what gets complained about the most by that demographic from my observations.

Or do they just want to pick and choose what ratings matter?

If you're gonna get to the point where the ratings matter regardless of user input then I'd start implementing more user catching in my game. I don't do it now because it's too easy and you can manipulate the AI and ratings typically don't seem to matter to me.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »