Home

Teams you be using on Madden 18

This is a discussion on Teams you be using on Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #41
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Teams you be using on Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I disagree. C.J. Beathard had a much higher percentage of his incompletions not being his fault than Peterman and has a stronger arm (Beathard threw 55 [left] and 52 [right] MPH at the combine, Peterman only 49 [left] and 49[right] MPH).

https://twitter.com/pff/status/85907...871616?lang=en

In other words Peterman had more help than Beathard, which caused Beathard's numbers to be overly maligned. Fact is no one else had to do more with less and it isn't close. And of course, as pointed out, Peterman has a weak arm, while Beathard has an average or above average arm (certainly above average with respect to the 2017 class, as can be seen in those numbers in the arm strength link).
Ill build on this. I'm not an analytics guy, I wanna see him on the field. So this comes from my impression of the tape I could find.

The guy can throw accurately from any position, has good footwork, good command of the offense, starting experience, phenominal accuracy even running to his left. I definitely see why they saw him as a good project player.

Needs to be more instinctive and decisive. Pretty much all of his weaknesses are mental and can be resolved with repetition, coaching, and experience.

His balls are wounded ducks, I ain't gonna lie. It's not arm strength really, its that downfield throws look like line drive field goal attempts. He gets his wrist action down, he'll be better.

Also; pro-style offense. You couldn't pay me enough to draft a guy from a spread system anymore. 1 in maybe 5, and that's a generous estimate, pan out.

EDIT: Just to be clear, my opinion on what Beathard will actually be in the NFL.

Most likely, one of those career backups you love to have because you know he can keep you afloat for a game or two if your top guy goes down. I have no problem with drafting a guy like that where they did.

Best case scenario, second tier starter who's good enough to win titles if you've got pieces in place around him. He has some Manning-like attributes, arm-wise. Manning had the same duck-like deep ball, but learned to control it and be accurate with it and made up for it by being brilliant. Here's the downside of that; you can't be Peyton Manning in Shannahan's system. Manning made a career of being a mental-mistake free player, and he did that by running the simplest offense we've seen in the NFL since the 1970s and never, ever making a mental error because he knew every single scenario possible in that offense. Only a Montana or Brady like mind could run Shannahan's offense as efficiently.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 05-20-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #42
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2

The more I researched him the more I was satisfied with drafting him and his athletic TE. I'm loving Joe Williams also

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #43
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

All 32. An OS user game me a great tip on how to play only offensive​ side of the ball last year for both teams. Gonna start a franchise, put the quarters at 6 minutes and just play.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #44
Rookie

Darkwolf90's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Ill build on this. I'm not an analytics guy, I wanna see him on the field. So this comes from my impression of the tape I could find.

The guy can throw accurately from any position, has good footwork, good command of the offense, starting experience, phenominal accuracy even running to his left. I definitely see why they saw him as a good project player.

Needs to be more instinctive and decisive. Pretty much all of his weaknesses are mental and can be resolved with repetition, coaching, and experience.

His balls are wounded ducks, I ain't gonna lie. It's not arm strength really, its that downfield throws look like line drive field goal attempts. He gets his wrist action down, he'll be better.

Also; pro-style offense. You couldn't pay me enough to draft a guy from a spread system anymore. 1 in maybe 5, and that's a generous estimate, pan out.

EDIT: Just to be clear, my opinion on what Beathard will actually be in the NFL.

Most likely, one of those career backups you love to have because you know he can keep you afloat for a game or two if your top guy goes down. I have no problem with drafting a guy like that where they did.

Best case scenario, second tier starter who's good enough to win titles if you've got pieces in place around him. He has some Manning-like attributes, arm-wise. Manning had the same duck-like deep ball, but learned to control it and be accurate with it and made up for it by being brilliant. Here's the downside of that; you can't be Peyton Manning in Shannahan's system. Manning made a career of being a mental-mistake free player, and he did that by running the simplest offense we've seen in the NFL since the 1970s and never, ever making a mental error because he knew every single scenario possible in that offense. Only a Montana or Brady like mind could run Shannahan's offense as efficiently.

He also struggles to throw the ball deep down the field according to every scout I've heard and his "highlight" videos show that as well. Most of his completions are all short passes. Which is good to have yes but on 3rd and long we need someone who can throw the ball 10 or 20 yards down the field and from what I've heard listening to the scouts and analysts he really struggles to do that. Honestly I thing I would have liked Mahomes, anyone compared to Farve should become a pretty good Starting QB. But alas the Chiefs jumped on him.

It is a wait and see, but honestly I don't have high hopes for this season or that Beathard will ever be a good NFL QB.
NHL: San Jose Sharks
NCAA: LSU Tigers
Old 05-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #45
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf90
He also struggles to throw the ball deep down the field according to every scout I've heard and his "highlight" videos show that as well. Most of his completions are all short passes. Which is good to have yes but on 3rd and long we need someone who can throw the ball 10 or 20 yards down the field and from what I've heard listening to the scouts and analysts he really struggles to do that. Honestly I thing I would have liked Mahomes, anyone compared to Farve should become a pretty good Starting QB. But alas the Chiefs jumped on him.

It is a wait and see, but honestly I don't have high hopes for this season or that Beathard will ever be a good NFL QB.
I don't think Mahomes fits as well. Shannahan is as close to Walsh as anyone but Andy Reid right now. We need a passer, not a thrower. Underneath precision is far more important than having a cannon.

Favre is often sited as a big arm west coast QB, but it's rarely mentioned Favre had all the requirements of a west coast guy plus a huge arm. He wouldn't have been the best west coast QB of his time if he didn't have the mind, pocket presence, and accuracy first.

Admittedly, Beathard definitely doesn't have that pocket awareness, but I still feel he's a better fit than Mahomes. He's a bit too low on the Alex Smith to Rex Grossman continuum, but that's better than too high if you're not Bret Favre.

To the OP: Hey, we're OT AF, but you still spawned a fun conversation

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 05-21-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I use the Bears every year. Should be an interesting year since this is probably the biggest dumpster fire they've ever been in Madden, unless you go back to the Wannstedt era
Old 05-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #47
MVP

SeaTownGamer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats85
Here my list that I use for the most: Texans, Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers, Raiders, Chiefs, Giants, Packers, Falcons, Buccaneers, Seahawks

I'm assuming in 2k u use the cavs, warriors, and spurs and in FIFA u use FC Barcelona, Real Madrid and the best team in the EPL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #48
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf90

Most of the scouts were full of it with him, because they claimed he had a weak arm which is bullocks. What he has is down field ACCURACY issues, but that isn't entirely his fault, as he didn't have the best of protection.

Here are some deep passes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfFZHHxInI&t=0m18s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfFZHHxInI&t=0m30s
(you can see on this one he waited too long to throw it, and as a result had a guy in his face. Still, the ball gets there almost spot on)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfFZHHxInI&t=0m54s
(posted cause running to left)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfFZHHxInI&t=1m33s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfFZHHxInI&t=2m27s
(^^ Not a deep ball, but throwing that with a guy in your knees requires arm strength)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfFZHHxInI&t=2m51s
(^^Definitely an NFL medium range throw, which requires velocity)

And this one is remarkable because it's a back shoulder throw with touch while he's stepping back and taking a hit. It requires a high level of anticipation to make.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfFZHHxInI&t=4m18s

You can see he has the arm to do it. Just needs better deep ball accuracy. At times that was the line's fault, while other times it was because he hesitated too much. It isn't his arm so much that is the problem as it is his tendency to hesitate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »