Home

Madden's Sliders And The Lack Of Options Compared To To Other Sports Games

This is a discussion on Madden's Sliders And The Lack Of Options Compared To To Other Sports Games within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 AM   #1
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22
Madden's Sliders And The Lack Of Options Compared To To Other Sports Games

So I play all 4 major sport games to some extent (Madden, NHL, NBA 2k, The Show) and each game has its own set of sliders for the user to customize the game they way they like.

The problem is, Madden is lacking in this department and does not seem to care. For as long as I have been playing Madden (Madden 2002) they have had the same exact sliders they have today, give or take maybe 1 or 2.

For a breakdown I will list the total amount of adjustable sliders in each game.

NHL 17 - 129
NBA 2k17 - 122
MLB The Show 17 - 38
Madden 17 - 36 (8 are penalty sliders, so only 28 adjustable sliders for gameplay)

If you go and look at the slider sets available in NBA and NHL, you can literally adjust anything about the game to your liking.

Imagine if Madden had individual sliders per position like:

Safety Hit Power effectiveness
Linebacker jump effectiveness
Spin move effectiveness
juke effectiveness
Kick return blocking
punt return blocking
punt hang time
lob pass trajectory/velocity
bullet pass trajectory/velocity
Wind effectiveness

I could go on and on...

But the options Madden gives us to tune the game are a joke compared to the other sports games out there. They should be pressed to giving us more options to tune the game to our liking.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

Re: Madden's Sliders And The Lack Of Options Compared To To Other Sports Games

I agree and hope this was something that was looked at with the separate game distinctions. The FG Accuracy slider is pretty much broken, it has no effect until you get to 35 and then everything is a complete shank. There also hasn't been any CPU special teams sliders present in CFM for a while now. It's always been hard for me to distinguish any kind of difference in raising or lowering the pass coverage and reaction sliders as well.

But I'd definitely like to see more options to be able to tune the game. It adds a lot more variables to tweak which is more work playing the game but if they work correctly it's not too hard to pin down a good set and move forward while tweaking along the way. Every game needs them and I don't think there will ever be a sports game that doesn't have to be altered in some form or fashion. Like you mentioned I could come up with a ton of areas that I'd like to see adjustable and hopefully some more options will be an addition along side the separate game settings.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:50 AM   #3
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0

Agreed, with so many positions multiplied by play styles multiplied by front office stuff in Madden you'd expect it to have a lot of sliders. For ease of access would you settle for a Running slider that adjusts all sub sliders, but for those who want to, you can click on running slider and tweak the sub-sliders such as juke effectiveness, fumbles, inside run effectiveness vs outside run effectiveness?

Without imported draft classes it would be nice to have a draft class strength slider and a draft class variability slider. One affects the overall general strength of a class and another the level of variability between prospects (essentially, make all 1st rounders safe or boom/bust prospects and bigger variation of strength of class year to year).

Last edited by Mattanite; 05-19-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

I'll disagree.

Let's say in franchise I'm the Packers. Great offense, garbage defense, right? I don't want to be able to slider my way out of that! That's cheap, IMO.

My S can't hit, then he can't hit! My LBs can't cover, then they can't cover. Why should I be able to toggle a few buttons to fix that?

I think sliders are a copout on multiple levels. They either mask a players weakness or a weakness in the game code.

.. But, that's just one mans opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I think sliders are a copout on multiple levels. They either mask a players weakness or a weakness in the game code.
I agree with your last line which is why I want to see more. Sliders can mask weaknesses in the game which is huge IMO. Sure you can mask a crappy defense by jacking all your defensive sliders if that's your thing but at the same time it can also help by giving you the tools to truly make your defense feel crappy.

To the opposite of your Packers example, when the Chiefs were absolutely terrible from essentially 2007 through 2012 it was always extremely hard to replicate that in Madden because despite Matt Cassel being a truly awful quarterback, it was still too easy to drop dimes all over the field like he was Aaron Rodgers and I would always have to drop user QB accuracy all the way down to 10 or lower. I know I had it at three one year just to try and make my offense realistically shi**y.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
I'll disagree.

Let's say in franchise I'm the Packers. Great offense, garbage defense, right? I don't want to be able to slider my way out of that! That's cheap, IMO.

My S can't hit, then he can't hit! My LBs can't cover, then they can't cover. Why should I be able to toggle a few buttons to fix that?

I think you miss the point on why most people (or ME at least) use sliders. I don't use it to make my team better... If anything, it's usually to make it harder. My goal is to make players play to their ratings. If my safeties aren't tackling, but they have low tackle ratings, then good. No adjustments needed. If I have a safety with 90+ tackle rating and he can't tackle Tom Brady for instance, there is an issue and a slider needs to be adjusted.

I stopped playing Madden before the last patch, because I couldn't get my user controlled QB to be more inaccurate. I didn't like that I was able to put up so many yards and go to the SuperBowl with Goff at QB. I want to be punished for that and feel the need to acquire a better qb. It's all about realism.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
I'll disagree.

That's the point he's making.. you adjust it how YOU want. So you don't want to make your team great with sliders? Simple, don't use them or do what 99% of people do with sliders and make it more of a challenge that you can't obtain with limited settings.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

OP forgot the XP payout adjustment sliders in Franchise mode, which dramatically affect the experience in that mode. Bumps the total count into the 40s or low 50s; still not as many as other games, but more than previously indicated.

Regardless, though I personally found Madden 17 to be a reasonably well-tuned game, it'd be nice to see more end-user customization options in the game for people who want to optimize their gameplay experience.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »