Home

37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

This is a discussion on 37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #73
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: 37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
17 has been for me with default sliders.

I was 7-4 at one point with the Packers and I've lost 4 straight and 2 of those 4 were teams well below 500.
I'm happy you get those challenges. Every game feels the same to me and CPU roster management is putrid IMO. I could list another half dozen big issues as well.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 05-31-2017, 10:07 AM   #74
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I'm happy you get those challenges. Every game feels the same to me and CPU roster management is putrid IMO. I could list another half dozen big issues as well.
No doubt the CPU roster management is ugly, but I've haven't been challenged by the CPU in forever with Madden.

And it appears the later in the season, the better the CPU play calling is becoming.

Let's hope the legacy issues cleans up some of the other crap.

Last edited by roadman; 05-31-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #75
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

In Rex's defense he didn't say that the CFM usage upset the competitive community, it was the gameplay focus on simulation football that upset them. Now most of us here would argue that they the focus on simulation football hasn't been strong enough, so it's a tough statement for us to take.

The sim community is now firmly on the back burner in terms of focus, IMO, so we'll have to see what bones we get thrown in terms of the tuning done for the simulation style, and if we get at least a couple of high level CFM features.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2017, 10:38 AM   #76
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
In Rex's defense he didn't say that the CFM usage upset the competitive community, it was the gameplay focus on simulation football that upset them. Now most of us here would argue that they the focus on simulation football hasn't been strong enough, so it's a tough statement for us to take.

The sim community is now firmly on the back burner in terms of focus, IMO, so we'll have to see what bones we get thrown in terms of the tuning done for the simulation style, and if we get at least a couple of high level CFM features.
I wouldn't expect anything big. Maybe just a few small features.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:03 AM   #77
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

To me fixing legacy issues enhance the CFM experience..while I like to know if we got a draft board, any chemistry attributes and stuff like that..I'm not gonna jump the bridge for information that hasn't been released yet

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 11:22 AM   #78
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I'm not surprised by any of this, just surprised how he comes right out an admits it maybe, even just saw a Twitter convo where there might be some kind of rift with Rex and CFM EAGCers. What many of us realized or believed quite some time ago was that when you have EA Tib claiming realism/sim as the focus for Madden, like they were even more adamant about since Weber, Rex and company came in, that's the time to push hard for that across the board and call them to task but doing that got posters criticized, labeled, silenced, etc.

Oh well, maybe if somehow in the next few years after adamantly claiming a competitive focus, EA Tib comes back around to claim a realism/sim focus again, there will be way more of a consensus on calling them to task on it.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:29 PM   #79
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

This is going to sound weird....but as a franchise player, I frankly don't care if they move their focus away from franchise mode. Sure, I'd love coaching carousel, actual coordinators, and so forth...but at the end of the day, a lot of what they could add to what already exists is window dressing. I just don't see them ever adding 'hard-core sim' features like you see in a text sim to Madden; I'm not going to whine about it. In my book, the core to any franchise mode are the stories you create yourself and which are created on the field.

Example, I started up a new Lions franchise using the M17 default preseason roster...Abdullah got hurt in training camp, Riddick sucks (and I traded him for a 6th rounder), so I am left with Stevan Ridley at RB. Guess what, the Pats castoff is kicking butt for me so far...that's a storyline right there...can he keep it up all season, will the more talented Abdullah take back his starting spot....lots of different scenarios and I have a say in steering the story any way I want based on performance and the tactical/strategic moves I make as the coach. Roadman posted about his second-half fade with the Packers...that's a storyline. People complain about immersion, but EA can add all the little bells and whistles that they want, it's ultimately going to be up to the player to immerse themselves into their own little universe.

My needs are simple:
  • Continue enhancing gameplay in a manner which does not interfere with sim gameplay (which they are trying to do). High-caliber and challenging gameplay is the core for any franchise mode....99% of the immersion comes from "the struggle".
  • Fix legacy issues which hamper the overall game (which they have said they are doing)...hopefully this includes roster management issues and other franchise-specific issues.
  • Don't break/remove what is currently in Franchise mode and give offline franchises far more ability to edit/tweak things across the board

I know this viewpoint won't be easily swallowed by a lot of people here; but that's OK....just my opinion. EA can continue their focus on the fluffy stuff (MUT, H2H, storytime mode) as long as the core stuff (the gameplay) continues to be enhanced. Franchise mode additions will probably never be 'back of box' features moving forward; but that's OK...sometimes the small stuff can make all of the difference.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #80
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Also , one thing ive not seen anyone really mention much, but he also stated due to the port over to Frostbite, they would not have time for a beta this year. Which leads me to the next thought, he said they fixed over 3000 bugs after release this year ( more than ever( how is it everything is always more or better than ever ) ) and that this year they plan to not have as many patches.....

So let me see, no beta at all , less patching after release......... anyone see what im starting to have a bad feeling about here?

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »