Home

37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

This is a discussion on 37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: 37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
To be fair..he was going on about competitive because he was talking to a competitive streamer and his viewers. Know your audience. Marketing 101. Don't jump of a bridge just yet.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
I agree with this. I have an interview scheduled after EA play, so we will talk new features as well as larger scale issues and knowing I lean CFM I will bet he hypes the simulation side of things. I think he is a people pleaser to an extent, so he is going to try to make as many people happy as possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #26
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

The only problem I DID have with this interview was the realization that story mode actually took away resources from adding things I would care about. That was a bummer.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 05-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #27
Armchair GM

TecmoZack's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
For those who don't want to watch...

0:00 - Competitive gamestyle helps reduce things like dropped INT and QB throwaways

0:25 - Next big piece of this whole thing, outside of playstyles, is something they call "Legacy" (legacy issues). They make a list of community wants, executives come in and tell them what they want and then there's nobody left to work on legacy issues. Says they've gone through 35-40 of the top legacy issues in Madden: Slower player catches faster player from behind, man coverage doesn't ever cover corner route, purples don't cover purple, hard flats get sucked out from flats. They made legacy issues a priority. Then says only top 20 legacy issues. Fixed juking, "Awesome in 18."

2:00 - Q: Any idea for M18 that Rex wanted in 18 that didn't get in. Rex says he had an idea for story mode that didn't get in that he wanted that they're going to take the next year to build on and get into 19.

12:00 - Rex says Madden is his dream job and that he's not going anywhere. Has a lot of work left for him to do.

12:30 - MrGS talks about Ian Cummings quitting out of nowhere mid-development for M12 and asks Rex if he knows anything about it. Rex says it wasn't as nefarious as it might sound. Says Cam Weber was brought in during that time and that a new Exec. Producer will shake things up. Cam had a meeting with Ian and says he thinks Ian was getting fed up with the brunt of community anger and rage and was ready for a change and that Cam wanted some 'fresh blood'. Cam hired Kolbe Launchbaugh who was designing MUT 13 through MUT 16 and Rex to lead his gameplay team. Cam brought a lot of his guys with him and Ian decided to move on. Rex credits Ian with giving him a strong base to start with for Madden.

16:00 - Rex says his vision was "Authentic Football Simulation" and adding things that you see in the NFL that aren't currently in the game (pass trajectories, gang tackling) as well as cleaning the ugly, non-marketable stuff up.

18:13 - Rex says they nerfed user pass rush on Competitive setting. Says if you're playing on Competitive you can't be playing on the D-Line.

19:16 - Mr. GS asks if he has anything to do with MUT at all. Rex says he has more and more involvement this year. Not so much until last year when he started playing it a lot more. Says he meets with two MUT designers weekly to talk about social media information and strategy. Has more influence with those guys than ever before.

20:29 - Asked what "the year of the user" means. Says it means a lot of things. When he plays competitive setting he feels like the random is his fault. Random being for example throwing picks. Doesn't feel classic "he was wide open, I threw it to him, randomly a dice rolled an overthrow and I threw a pick." Says big difference when you feel like almost all the outcomes are your mistakes or skills versus dice rolls. Says he's started enjoying competitive more because you always feel control of your outcomes which is a big change for Madden.

21:45 - Says they brought back the juke. Says he knew there was a problem when competitive players were taking dives instead of getting tackled. Says jukes are crispy and awesome. Says a user can't hold Y while playing defense anymore. Says user input and timing are more of a factor.

"Highlight Coverage thing"/Coverage assignments helps user understand what your job is in coverage. If you select an LB it will show you connecting lines to WR's you're supposed to be covering. Helps people who couldn't play secondary feel comfortable because lines explain to them who to cover.

25:35 - Says he's never had more fun playing Madden than he's had this year, especially on Competitive game style.

25:55 - Asked about a CoD-esque Beta. Rex says they've had closed Beta's and that because of the Frostbite-port they can't do a beta or closed beta this year.

27:50 - Mr. GS asks if Rex could see them going back and taking a lot of things from NCAA. Rex says "You mean like Coach Adjustments?." Says he has a huge idea about driving emotion into the game that he can't talk about. Coming into the next 2-3 years because a lot of people that would work on that are working on the new story mode this year.

Awesome stuff. I love Madden 17. 18 sound like it will blow me away.

On the Xbox - xPonchoChief
Old 05-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #28
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
well , maybe a true statement, but i also still believe strongly, a majority of madden people who use twitter are people who play competitive madden, more so than the sim people. I mean just in age range alone, there are more 18-28 year olds who use twitter over 29-40 ( range where you find more sim minded people on average) . Its a disproportionate number i believe of younger people who use twitter than older. I know in our 32 man league, only 2 others,besides me use twitter. Majority of our league is over 27.

Im not saying Sim minded people are not the minority here, but i do think its much different than that poll shows in reality.

Here is some data to back up what i was saying :

http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/11/1...a-update-2016/

First only 25 % of people who even use the internet , use twitter( more people use pinterest than twitter ). So there is that. Age 18-29 36%, age 30- 49 ( much larger range of age by 8 years) 23 % . Now thats a difference of 13 % but also a much larger number of years for the second group to get it to a 13 % difference.

The poll Rex did on twitter( where your getting your votes from based on numbers above only) is currently is a 22% difference and again that is based just off twitter users really.I honestly believe its closer than people give it credit for how many want sim football over competitive.But from what i can tell that debate is normally used polls like this to " prove " that point when in reality , there are alot of middle aged people , who have played madden for decades, who dont use twitter , or even facebook for that matter.So there is a higher chance , there are alot more people who feel that way, not speaking in these outlets than we see in polls like this. Thus the game will be shaped based off something not truely showing the true demographic of people who play the game.

I do believe there are less who want sim, but its not the 10% ( sim )- 90%( competitive) people try to act like it is , is all im saying.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel

Last edited by howboutdat; 05-30-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #29
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I'm going to put faith in that just because he didn't mention any legacy OL issues that they did actually address them.
i did happen to listen to the interview live last night. He didnt mention any specifically, but he did mention that blocking was much improved from 17 when the interviewer was telling him the blocking in 17 was not good and why he couldnt run the ball. Rex seemed to mention it at least 2 times i think, that will not much improved in 18 .... we will see.

I say that only because , im pretty sure over last 3 years , we have heard all these awesome improvements to oline blocking , but yet to really see that much improvement in it .Here is to hoping 18 is the year ....

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 05-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
i did happen to listen to the interview live last night. He didnt mention any specifically, but he did mention that blocking was much improved from 17 when the interviewer was telling him the blocking in 17 was not good and why he couldnt run the ball. Rex seemed to mention it at least 2 times i think, that will not much improved in 18 .... we will see.

I say that only because , im pretty sure over last 3 years , we have heard all these awesome improvements to oline blocking , but yet to really see that much improvement in it .Here is to hoping 18 is the year ....
I need to see it honestly. The line blocking this year just had so many issues and to compile that anytime you ran up the middle block shed. Was/Is really lame.

I'm hoping they also make the game about spacing in the run and pass game too. I don't care how good a guy is rated or how good someone is, if you are out of place you are beat. That's how fast the NFL game is. Hell even college is that fast. So if a guy is spreading his DL and leaving a big *** gap over the GCG box, don't have one guy breath on my HB and have him fall to the ground. Let me destroy that with the Isolation play.

I don't even want to get started on the pass blocking and how bad it is in 17. Leaving your HB in to block is insanity. He's clueless.

Last edited by LBzrule; 05-30-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #31
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I need to see it honestly. The line blocking this year just had so many issues and to compile that anytime you ran up the middle block shed. Was/Is really lame.
Im right there with you. Ive heard the good sounding lines before, yet they seemed to play out somehow totally different in game. So for now im not holding my breathe but i am hoping this year it plays to match what is said pre - release.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #32
Rookie

Slim4824's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Just proves the point that those that want a real life simulation of football (including myself) are probably 10% or less of the community.
I'm a simulation player. I want my CFM gameplay to be as authentic as possible. But ranked online H2H I'm all for being on competitive.

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »