Home

37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

This is a discussion on 37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #57
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
I agree, from what it sounds like so far is that the sim game mode will be similar to the way the game plays now, and that competitive mode will see the most changes. I really hope this is not the case because Madden is FAR from an authentic sim football game, and if he thinks his mission is accomplished in that area of then he's delusional.
It's like he's saying Madden right now very authentic, the most authentic that it's going to get, now lets switch gears and focus on competitive (year of the user), even though they still have a lot of work to do on the sim/authentic side, I think he's trying make an excuse to ditch the sim focus and focus on competitive, but he never asked the sim crowd if we think Madden plays like authentic real football, I would like to see that poll.
This is what I'll be looking for over the next couple weeks. The legacy stuff is nice but if that's the only big difference between 17 and 18's Simulation mode it's going to be really disappointing. The quote that stood out to me most was:

Quote:
It's not just eSports GS, it's bigger than that. For me, it's people who identify themselves as competitive Madden players. They primarily play H2H modes. You mostly wouldn't catch these people dead playing offline or playing solos because it's not just how they interface with the game. And so those people have been very loud and very vocal about what it is they want out of this game, and more importantly, what they don't want. Like dropped interceptions or receivers dropping wide open passes. Those are the things you get because of Sim. Because the guys' ratings threshold don't meet an outcome formula and so he drops it. And so essentially what happens now is we can give competitive players exactly what they want without affecting our simulation community. That was the big thing that was holding us back. I was tuning the game specifically for simulation players and now I can have this whole separate game style that I can tune uniquely and build features custom for this unique competitive game style.
He makes it seem like Sim has been holding back H2H/Competitive all this time and I hope that when the time comes that he gets to talk about the Simulation setting he acknowledges that the H2H/Competitive was holding back Sim just as much because I strongly disagree that they've been tuning the game specifically for simulation players. Especially when you consider how many times they've said over the last several years they won't do something because of how it will affect the online environment and you look at how the game gets patched because of backlash from the online community.

I just hope that when he talks about creating unique features for competitive game style it also applies equally to the simulation setting as well and it doesn't get left behind or knocked down the priority list because they've already spent all this time "tuning the game specifically for simulation players" when that hasn't necessarily the case.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #58
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
This is what I'll be looking for over the next couple weeks. The legacy stuff is nice but if that's the only big difference between 17 and 18's Simulation mode it's going to be really disappointing. The quote that stood out to me most was:

He makes it seem like Sim has been holding back H2H/Competitive all this time and I hope that when the time comes that he gets to talk about the Simulation setting he acknowledges that the H2H/Competitive was holding back Sim just as much because I strongly disagree that they've been tuning the game specifically for simulation players. Especially when you consider how many times they've said over the last several years they won't do something because of how it will affect the online environment and you look at how the game gets patched because of backlash from the online community.

I just hope that when he talks about creating unique features for competitive game style it also applies equally to the simulation setting as well and it doesn't get left behind or knocked down the priority list because they've already spent all this time "tuning the game specifically for simulation players" when that hasn't necessarily the case.
I agree with this sentiment.

Every time someone on Twitter tried to get answers on why they increased that darn fg marker 10%, Clint stated the online crowd was complaining about the lag and asking us how would we feel.

Now, Rex is claiming the sim community was holding back the competitive community? Where's Big, what ya talking about Willis gif when I need it?

Also, I agree with Lex, that competitive community is loud and growing and perhaps a money maker.

I just wish they (EA Developers) would recognize before there was competitive MUT gamers, there was the sim/franchise solo players.

Last edited by roadman; 05-30-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:21 PM   #59
MVP

young22's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I'm actually surprised it's even that close. Maybe it's having had beaten into our heads of the last several years that the sim is the extreme minority but 61-39 isn't as large of a gap as I was anticipating. Especially considering how adamant and vocal online players are against simulation aspects finding their way in the online realm.
Same. I voted in that poll (for sim obviously), and when the results came up I was surprised at the 61/39 split. I honestly thought it was gonna be like 85/15.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-30-2017, 10:41 PM   #60
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend_heat
I think the bottom line is for EA, a company that puts making money 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on any given priority list, MUT and now Esports is where the suits are going to force the devs to put the focus. Sim is now a distant third, and fading fast.

I'm ok with this. And ok with where I fall in the hierarchy of m18 wishlist'ers. Last year there was a poll asking if sim/CFM users would pay more for depth and sim features. I'd pay double. I was also a minority. Most declined to pay more, or said they would pass on buying the game for one or more cycles.

Not to be a self loathing simulation CFM'er but if buying is the equivalent of voting I think it's important to vote (buy) to keep your candidate (CFM or sim play) in the race. Otherwise abstaining is no different than standing on the sidelines and opining.

I think fixing legacy issues alone is worth $60. I hope the owner mode financial glitches were included in those fixes.

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 05-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #61
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Jesus YouTube has an ad every 3 minutes now?? I haven't used it much lately. Incredibly frustrating. Worse than tv.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
get ADBlockerplus no more ads
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #62
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwoods
get ADBlockerplus no more ads
Yeah I do. I was watching on my work phone. I guess that's why I never realized how crazy it is.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 05-31-2017, 02:11 AM   #63
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

Back in the PS2 days I was a Franchise and H2H local player. When Madden came to the 360 and PS3 was when I started playing online competitive hardcore. One of the main reason's was because the Franchise mode sucked, and the cpu AI was horrible and it got boring playing against the cpu after a few games, and til this day the Franchise mode is still bad and the cpu is too easy and boring to play against.

I feel like a lot of people started gravitating to online head to head because of the same reason's (Franchise mode and the cpu AI wasn't worth a darn), and the younger generation never experienced a great Franchise mode Madden had in the PS2 days and all they know is online H2H. I feel like now they are focusing on the competitive crowd before they went back and fixed the great Franchise mode and gameplay we had two generations ago, how about get those areas back up to snuff, then see how many people come back to Franchise mode, I bet a lot more people would play Franchise if the mode was good, deep, and the cpu played realistic and provided a challenge without cheating.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:02 AM   #64
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Fixing so many legacy issues sounds to me like direct nod to sim players. Very excited about that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »