Home

Madden NFL 18 Controls - WR/DB Mechanics

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Controls - WR/DB Mechanics within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #17
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18 Controls - WR/DB Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
Most of it is an adjustment to the ball and situation. Madden should have the where with all to adjust to the ball, the field, and the scenario of the game to have WRs trigger those animations appropriately. Not allow users to make a decision, that takes away from separation of ratings and differential of WRs. It's a gimmick in the video game, and it's not something WRs think every play. Most "aggressive catches" aren't a thought, it's a reaction to ball placement.
So you want the CPU to play for you? Aren't we trying to get away from that
Old 06-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #18
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

I think it looks good on paper. This way, team play will be interesting for all 3 players on offense instead of just the QB. If you aren't doing team play, the WRs and CBs will probably be doing this by themselves, hopefully resulting in more realistic interaction between the two. The only thing you'll have to learn is the different winning animations for your WRs and what that means for how/when they'll be open. If done properly, it could really improve the aesthetics and realism of the game.

As for the catch mechanics discussion, but I think it is one of the better features added to Madden recently. The argument that "receivers don't actually think that they need to make an aggressive catch now" is silly and the exact same as arguing that QBs don't think "I need to throw a lob pass now." These mechanics exist in real life, and receivers subconsciously use them on every catch depending on the positioning of the defenders around them. But there is room for interpretation and risk/reward when making the decisions, so the best way to give the user some control on how his team plays the game is to setup some basic controls on how the players will approach each situation.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 8

The theory behind all of these mechanics is that the CPU will also perform them as well. These new WR/DB mechanics are not only going to make things more fun for the user, but also adds more animations. In theory, CPU DB/WR interaction is going to benefit greatly from this.

You can then start to have player likeness based on what CPU players use what mechanics.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #20
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Is this just for MUT Squads? Will I be able to utilize it if I control a corner in my CFM? Most importantly, will my CPU players utilize any of this?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #21
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
The theory behind all of these mechanics is that the CPU will also perform them as well. These new WR/DB mechanics are not only going to make things more fun for the user, but also adds more animations. In theory, CPU DB/WR interaction is going to benefit greatly from this.

You can then start to have player likeness based on what CPU players use what mechanics.
Is this confirmed by anyone with first hand knowledge?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #22
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Is this just for MUT Squads? Will I be able to utilize it if I control a corner in my CFM? Most importantly, will my CPU players utilize any of this?
Should be able to, Rex says it's not just for Squads.

https://twitter.com/RexDEAFootball/s...62312745385984
Old 06-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 6

It sounds like they will. https://twitter.com/rexdeafootball/s...62312745385984
Old 06-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #24
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Sounds great BUT they need to get pass interference right now. I hate seeing WR's and DB's run into each with no flag thrown.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »