Home

Madden NFL 18 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #137
Banned

SteelD34KC's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
ok so here is a very serious question. Lets say we start to monetize it. They may get a little more resources for it. Ok sounds good.But then we face the issue hey always face. Time.They not getting more time. They cant even produce what little they have been adding to CFM for years now without it coming out with alot of bugs in it before launch. So realistically, how much more in resources would they really have to add , to be able to add alot more to it in a year cycle and the new stuff come out without a ton of issues in the same time limit. i mean this is really only a serious question id love answered.

I mean adding to MUT, they did add salary cap( to try to get cfm people into it) and they adding squads this year, and chemistry last year. Outside of that, what really is being added to MUT outside of new player cards and basically new player model? I mean i can use the edit player feature now and make totally dif players within a short amount of time. Guess im looking at how much really has to be tested that hard in MUT compared to CFM ? Where as its been mentioned, has so many working parts that tie into each other. I just am not 100% sure the extra money we would be giving would = seeing that % more being added to CFM in a year .
Also will any money they get from CFM monetization, will it go to CFM team? Or will it leak away into other departments.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #138
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
That was done simply because they sort of had to do it, all the other sports games have done it. So it was done more to sell the overall game in regards to matching up with other sports games. A story mode has really come to be expected at this point.
I'm presuming you must see the irony in the post in regards to Franchise mode, especially the part about "matching up with other sports games". That's the crux of plenty of criticism over the defense of the way EA chooses to create Madden, from the business model to in-game design decisions. They seem to ignore what other sports games successfully are doing and have done, whenever they see fit.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #139
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I'm presuming you must see the irony in the post in regards to Franchise mode, especially the part about "matching up with other sports games". That's the crux of plenty of criticism over the defense of the way EA chooses to create Madden, from the business model to in-game design decisions. They seem to ignore what other sports games successfully are doing and have done, whenever they see fit.
They do seem to do what they like but sports games have had story mode for what, 4 years or something now? It was sort of beyond time for them to do so, especially after the FIFA team created the Journey last year and it was so well received.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #140
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelD34KC
Also will any money they get from CFM monetization, will it go to CFM team? Or will it leak away into other departments.
And what about MUT revenue?

I'm hopeful the $ are spread out throughout the game, not just one centralized area.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #141
Banned

SteelD34KC's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
And what about MUT revenue?

I'm hopeful the $ are spread out throughout the game, not just one centralized area.
Im hopeful as well, but afraid after how they have talked about it, with certain teams "Pulled" for this Longshot thing. That the money is focused. I dunno, Im not a businessman, so I really cant make a factual comment on the money part.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #142
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
ok so here is a very serious question. Lets say we start to monetize it. They may get a little more resources for it. Ok sounds good.But then we face the issue hey always face. Time.They not getting more time. They cant even produce what little they have been adding to CFM for years now without it coming out with alot of bugs in it before launch. So realistically, how much more in resources would they really have to add , to be able to add alot more to it in a year cycle and the new stuff come out without a ton of issues in the same time limit. i mean this is really only a serious question id love answered.

I mean adding to MUT, they did add salary cap( to try to get cfm people into it) and they adding squads this year, and chemistry last year. Outside of that, what really is being added to MUT outside of new player cards and basically new player model? I mean i can use the edit player feature now and make totally dif players within a short amount of time. Guess im looking at how much really has to be tested that hard in MUT compared to CFM ? Where as its been mentioned, has so many working parts that tie into each other. I just am not 100% sure the extra money we would be giving would = seeing that % more being added to CFM in a year .
Imo "monetize" in CFM wouldn't necessarily need to be done the same way as it is in MUT though, the goal would be to generate more revenue from the mode outside of the purchase price of the game. If I'm not mistaken Ian talked about or hinted at something like that in the past, using advertisements. Also like CMHooe mentioned, finding ways to have CFM be more of a potential funnel to MUT, might be another way to indirectly monetize CFM as well.

That said, I totally get your point about just because CFM were to make more money doesn't mean EA Tib will spend more on it, they could just keep the extra profits and maintain the status quo with CFM improvements. That wouldn't surprise me one bit either because, again, that's the leverage they have. What I meant by the we can't have it both ways comment was, the status quo for CFM improvements is almost a given without some way to monetize CFM, which gives it a chance at change but I agree with you that monetizing CFM wouldn't guarantee it.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #143
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelD34KC
Stadium packages, sideline packages, sound packages, gear packages (like full on Nike, Adidas, Reebok etc).

Weather packages, that make a difference in gameplay.

I dunno, just from the top of my head.

EDIT: Let me edit this and say, I know some of or all of those things should be in the game already. Should be what we get for 60 bucks. But maybe during the season, or previous seasons the crowds were chanting super loud, or doing the wave or what have you. EA puts that in the crowd package for the month. Now when you go to say Kansas City the Chiefs fans will give you the chop. Will chant ETC.
Whats funny is I just had an hour long discussion with someone about DLC on another EA game. My position is that content wont generate enough sales to justify doing it.

I'll assume stadium packages are things like old school stadiums. First EA would have to pay to license them. Then they would have to have the art team work on those stadiums. Then the online team would have to create UI where people could access those stadiums online if both people have the DLC and wouldnt be able to access it if only one of them does. Then you have to find the right price point. .99 is good for the consumer but probably not worth it given the other costs.

With all of that there is no reason to believe that a large number of people would even buy that DLC.

Another question is whether the stuff you mentioned should be DLC at all. I would be pissed as a consumer if I had to pay for things like sound packages, stadium packages (if its just new art around the stadium) and sideline packages. That **** should be in the game already.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #144
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Imo "monetize" in CFM wouldn't necessarily need to be done the same way as it is in MUT though, the goal would be to generate more revenue from the mode outside of the purchase price of the game. If I'm not mistaken Ian talked about or hinted at something like that in the past, using advertisements. Also like CMHooe mentioned, finding ways to have CFM be more of a potential funnel to MUT, might be another way to indirectly monetize CFM as well.

That said, I totally get your point about just because CFM were to make more money doesn't mean EA Tib will spend more on it, they could just keep the extra profits and maintain the status quo with CFM improvements. That wouldn't surprise me one bit either because, again, that's the leverage they have. What I meant by the we can't have it both ways comment was, the status quo for CFM improvements is almost a given without some way to monetize CFM, which gives it a chance at change but I agree with you that monetizing CFM wouldn't guarantee it.
FYI, thats old thinking. In game advertisements arent as lucrative as people thought they would be 5-10 years ago. It results in a very small part of revenue for the company.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »