Madden NFL 18 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic) - Page 8 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Madden NFL 18 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football

Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #57
MVP

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Madden NFL 18 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
ie #1 corner vs #1 WR, #2 corner vs #2 WR, etc...that is how Anthony White explained it.

Whoever you put at CB1 in your depth chart will matchup vs highest overall receiveer. CB2 vs 2nd best, etc.
I think you're right about this but I was under the impression that it would be CB1 vs. WR1, CB2 vs. WR2 according to the depth chart rather than overall. So more of the by name thing. So if you put your highest OVR CB at CB3, he'd always be covering whoever the other player had at WR3 on their depth chart but I admittedly don't know if that's the case at all, just what I assumed from the tweet.

I also wonder how this works against certain packages because that is where I see the greatest potential for this to "break." You can have someone at WR1 but through packages line them up all over the field in WR2, WR3, WR4 slots in the same formations while they stay at WR1 on the depth chart. I guess that's only really an issue with the depth chart option though and I'm sure they thought about all those scenarios when doing the best on best, etc.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #58
All Star

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
ie #1 corner vs #1 WR, #2 corner vs #2 WR, etc...that is how Anthony White explained it.

Whoever you put at CB1 in your depth chart will matchup vs highest overall receiveer. CB2 vs 2nd best, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
I think it's still within the graphical UI for defensive adjustments. I do not think it is within the depth chart menu. A funny thought just hit me about this. Because of the bugs they had with matchup alignments that made this difficult to implement. What if u did it by depth chart, and the #1 was out of gas/stamina and on the sideline. They updated sideline interactions. So, U think a bug could make the CB cover him on the opponents sideline? Lol. How awesome would that be? .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get the gist of what "by depth chart" likely means, i'm wondering how that pans out in game though. For example if I'm playing someone, I set the defensive matchup by depth chart and at some point in the game they adjust their depth chart, use a different package, use player subs in a play and/or fatigue puts one of their players on the bench, then what.

Seems like potential issues could have been avoided by providing a custom defensive matchup option. I'm wondering why that didn't happen, did it have anything to do with the past issues with custom defensive matchups, if so, that would at least explain the rationale behind going this "package" route for defensive matchups.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #59
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
From what I've heard and seen screenshots of, Yes, but you cant pick a defender and assign him to a receiver. you instead have to choose to matchup based on speed, height, overall rating, etc. Its an improvement but it restricts what you can do.
Based on the latest information, you are able to match up #1 CB vs #1 WR , 2 vs 2, in depth chart.

I just wanted to get the information out there and corrected.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 1

the pain is formations differ so normal 3-4 the x wr ie #1 is left and #1 cb is the other side so i always put my #1 cb at #2 in the depth chart. anything that makes life easier is super duper
Old 06-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #61
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I get the gist of what "by depth chart" likely means, i'm wondering how that pans out in game though. For example if I'm playing someone, I set the defensive matchup by depth chart and at some point in the game they adjust their depth chart, use a different package, use player subs in a play and/or fatigue puts one of their players on the bench, then what.

Seems like potential issues could have been avoided by providing a custom defensive matchup option. I'm wondering why that didn't happen, did it have anything to do with the past issues with custom defensive matchups, if so, that would at least explain the rationale behind going this "package" route for defensive matchups.

Yeah, my best guess is yes, if they had implemented it similar to what they had in the past, more of a 'roster alignment,' I have a feeling there might've still been bugs. I haven't heard Rex specifically say this, but I have a feeling this played a part. Now, that being said, I think they also wanted it included in 'defensive matchups' which is meant to be a quicker on the field decision system, I would say. And, that, I can imagine would mostly be due to the online community hot routing so much, that perhaps, they find a way to mismatch this somehow. By putting in the quick defensive matchup, a user can quickly swap it out during no huddle situations.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #62
MVP

DeuceDouglas's Arena

I'm really surprised there isn't really any talk about CFM being unlocked for Live Content updates. The way Rex talks about it in that they can put out new promos and new content and then compares it to MUT makes it seems like they're on the way to monetizing the mode. And at this point I don't even know what kind of stuff would or could be included in a CFM content update. It's not like MUT where you can just throw new cards and other random stuff at it. I mean, I guess you could but I don't know. I could see that being anything from being really good and adding some low hanging fruit features over the course of the year to something really dumb and cheesy like adding in historic coaches for you to buy and stuff like that which doesn't better the mode and is just a cash grab.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #63
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Gameplay should be incredible this year. You can tell they went as all-in as they could and this year is really going to showcase I think how great the gameplay team is. The amount of stuff they've added and tweaked, it's hard to find something to be disappointed in. There will be flaws at release of course but I really enjoyed 17 and I think 18's gameplay will greatly surpass that.

Franchise is what it is. Every few years it goes down the road and ends up at this point of "it's going to be bigger and better, just wait" and "it will be so much easier to do things." Just prove it.

I think you're right on the gameplay, for sure. And, as a CFM guy, I still prefer better gameplay to more CFM options, so I'm all in on this. People aren't talking as much about the legacy issues being cleaned up, partially because we don't know all of them, I'd say. But, if they really did clean up 40+ as Rex says, that could've been all I needed to buy this game. Lol. But, frostbite on top of that should make animations and overall graphics better and more realistic. And, I will def try out the reticle passing. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to gameplay, bigtime.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #64
MVP

DeuceDouglas's Arena

Quote:
Based on the latest information, you are able to match up #1 CB vs #1 WR , 2 vs 2, in depth chart.

I just wanted to get the information out there and corrected.
Yeah, you were right. The 'By Depth Chart' option does go by OVR. So CB1 vs. Highest OVR, CB2 vs. 2nd highest OVR, etc. I assumed it'd just match depth charts up but that's not the case and it's likely because of the issues that it would probably cause with not only packages but people constantly switching up depth charts mid-game slowing everything down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »