Home

Madden 18 Franchise PSA (Shopmaster)

This is a discussion on Madden 18 Franchise PSA (Shopmaster) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #185
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 18 Franchise PSA (Shopmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
No reason Gameplay can't significantly improve each year AND have significant improvements to Franchise, as well.

I think there are 2 very valid reasons;

- Yearly release cycle
- Investment of resources

.. We've basically read as much from the powers that be.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #186
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I think there are 2 very valid reasons;

- Yearly release cycle
- Investment of resources

.. We've basically read as much from the powers that be.

You are forgetting NBA Live.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #187
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini03
You are forgetting NBA Live.

^ Investment of resources.

It's not as if EA doesn't have the ability to turn Madden into the 700-horsepower, road-gripping super machine we all want it to be. They're not willing to make the investment.

If that's how they want to operate, in the name of profitability and/or yearly cycle, so be it.

.. all I can do, and will do, is vote with my wallet.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #188
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:

It's not as if EA doesn't have the ability to turn Madden into the 700-horsepower, road-gripping super machine we all want it to be. They're not willing to make the investment.

If that's how they want to operate, in the name of profitability and/or yearly cycle, so be it.

I don't think EA won't make the investment, but I do think they don't see viable returns if they do. Like many of you I've been playing since at least 95'

Many of our most passionate boycott or buy every few cycles. EA being a publicly traded Corp means it's got obligations. If we won't pay (consistently and beyond the initial purchase of the game) then someone else who will gets their attention. The relationship is mutually beneficial.

If you've got 15 min the most recent investor relations call is worth a read: http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...2017-05-09.pdf madden is mentioned quite a few times and as you can see investors drive the business decisions which are expressed (read: dictated) to Devs.

TL;DR Yes, EA makes a lot of money but we CFM'ers are a diverse group. Like the implementation or not, we got some top things from our wish lists. Hopefully NBA live goes away, when it does I hope we are ready to (financially) fill it's place otherwise something else will. If madden can't grow through us (subscription services, digital downloads, and micro transactions were mentioned) it will expand through new sales to new groups.

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 06-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #189
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:

Oh, I hear you. Might have to pick up NBA 2K this year.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #190
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncereBlackout
I don't think EA won't make the investment, but I do think they don't see viable returns if they do. Like many of you I've been playing since at least 95'

Many of our most passionate boycott or buy every few cycles. EA being a publicly traded Corp means it's got obligations. If we won't pay (consistently and beyond the initial purchase of the game) then someone else who will gets their attention. The relationship is mutually beneficial.

If you've got 15 min the most recent investor relations call is worth a read: http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...2017-05-09.pdf madden is mentioned quite a few times and as you can see investors drive the business decisions which are expressed (read: dictated) to Devs.

TL;DR Yes, EA makes a lot of money but we CFM'ers are a diverse group. Like the implementation or not, we got some top things from our wish lists. Hopefully NBA live goes away, when it does I hope we are ready to (financially) fill it's place otherwise something else will. If madden can't grow through us (subscription services, digital downloads, and micro transactions were mentioned) it will expand through new sales to new groups.
Yes, very good post and link. This is the 'real' culprit but it's not something everyone can or wants to grasp. EA made $1.09 Billion in net sales for the quarter. Of that, digital sales alone was $405 Million. Roughly 40% of EA's sales are from online purchases. (and this does not include full game digital downloads) Digital sales had the biggest year-over-year increase for them at 31%, and Ultimate Team expressly noted as being up 23/29%.

Nowhere in an EA Conference call transcript to shareholders will you see mention of Franchise modes. This means, that if you are solely an investor with no gaming interest, Franchise modes mean absolutely Zero to you. To know what drives the direction and decisions made by EA execs and developers, you need look no further than shareholders. I trade stocks for a living and have known this for a long time, but i know this won't be 'popular' to talk about and won't go further.

**Note, this does NOT excuse the quality control problem I believe Madden to have with Franchise mode. They are 'allowed' to still have it and it's on the Madden Team(s) to deliver the 'quality'. New Features, no, but properly functioning mechanics, yes.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #191
Rookie

KickassJohnson's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
This is your right, but I am just curious as to why?

From everything I have read and seen, the gameplay has taken a big leap from where 17 was and fixed quite a few legacy issues.

Plus Frostbite alone would be worth the upgrade. Does ON FIELD gameplay not trump anything else? I know it does for me.
Life happens, I don't play as much and therefore the games I purchase need to be in better shape than adding a mode I'll never touch and gradually "improving" gameplay which in my opinion sucks anyway compared to the level of other sports games out there. I'm just not compelled in any way at all to buy this year's Madden.

I play more NCAA 14 than Madden 17 if that says anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #192
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by deu22ces
Yes, very good post and link. This is the 'real' culprit but it's not something everyone can or wants to grasp. EA made $1.09 Billion in net sales for the quarter. Of that, digital sales alone was $405 Million. Roughly 40% of EA's sales are from online purchases. (and this does not include full game digital downloads) Digital sales had the biggest year-over-year increase for them at 31%, and Ultimate Team expressly noted as being up 23/29%.

Nowhere in an EA Conference call transcript to shareholders will you see mention of Franchise modes. This means, that if you are solely an investor with no gaming interest, Franchise modes mean absolutely Zero to you. To know what drives the direction and decisions made by EA execs and developers, you need look no further than shareholders. I trade stocks for a living and have known this for a long time, but i know this won't be 'popular' to talk about and won't go further.

**Note, this does NOT excuse the quality control problem I believe Madden to have with Franchise mode. They are 'allowed' to still have it and it's on the Madden Team(s) to deliver the 'quality'. New Features, no, but properly functioning mechanics, yes.
Surely the reason they don't mention franchise mode is that it doesn't generate money through micro transactions, unlike MUT. In the same way they would never mention Play Nowu/Exhibition games. That doesn't mean it makes no contributoon to sales by virtue of its existence. As an investor I would still want to know what the viable selling points of he product are, not just those that directly return revenue or profit.

Last edited by RogerDodger; 06-20-2017 at 10:38 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »