Home

Expansion Mode in Madden?

This is a discussion on Expansion Mode in Madden? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

OVR: 0
Expansion Mode in Madden?

With the announcement of Expansion in NHL 18, and with what Rex talked about unifying the games(If NBA Live has it, Madden will get it, etc) does it mean it's Expansion could be in Madden 19? Just looking at what's announced for how it works, it does seem the groundwork could be layed to apply it to Madden in the same way and functions.

Just wanted some thoughts on this and see how the community would feel about expansion mode in Madden and how you guys like to see it work. So hopefully this can generate good amount of interest to tell Rex, Clint and John White that we want this in CFM.

My only fear would be if expansion does come to Madden that the NFL would say no to a lot of things much like they have nixed things from Madden before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2017, 01:11 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Expansion Mode in Madden?

Expansion is hard in Madden right now because the NFL has the magic number of 32 teams that gives them an even number of teams per division. NHL has 31 teams right now so adding one actually makes sense.

To do it in the NFL you'd have to put an extra team in a division. You can't even mess with the number of teams in a division because 17 is a prime number; it's going to be unbalanced. That also messes up the scheduling which would be a shame because the NFL has a very predictable way of scheduling who plays who which would be disrupted.

The only way I see to make it work would involve removing a team from the league to replace.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:27 AM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Has NHL's GM Connected mode officlally made the jump to current-gen yet? I'm under the impression that that was left on the cutting room floor for the bare-bones Gen-4 debut with NHL 16 and it didn't make it back in NHL 17.

If my memory above is correct, I'd imagine Madden and NBA Live would be the leaders for any shared "connected" franchise modes and features until NHL gets its connected franchise features back in place in the general case.

I like the idea of doing an expansion draft in Madden, though, but I'd want it alongside better team customization options (especially uniforms and stadiums). I don't want to be locked into using the Brooklyn Beats.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 2

I think you hit it for me CM. The idea sounds cool, but I would be happy if they gave us an NCAA Teambuilder Concept in Madden instead of being forced into a default team. Of course, they need to greatly increase their commentary for potential team names, along with added names for the draft in CFM for me to truly appreciate it.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
Pro

I'd be surprised if they ever implemented expansion. They already have issues with getting scheduling to work properly as is, creating an uneven number of teams could "break" it.

I think the best we can/should hope for is something like what NBA2K has with it's relocation/rebranding/realignment feature. Especially if it included creating uniforms, logo's, names, stadiums, etc, ala NBA2K.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

I'd love an expansion mode but I'd be happy even if they made some baby steps like letting us create our own team. I can't believe you still can't. I had so much fun with teambuilder on NCAA Football.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
Banned

Brightline's Arena

Madden 2002 had the ability to add expansion team (Texans I think). NCAA had teambuilder.

Combined now this would be awesome.

Adding a 33rd team would take some work to make it all work properly with scheduling and everything else but NBA 2k17 has already shown that to be possible.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only time we have seen expansion in the game is when there really was, like 2002 with the Texans. The NHL has an expansion team this year IRL so it's natural to see it in the game this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »