Home

Clint Oldenburg Answers Community Questions with Ryan Moody

This is a discussion on Clint Oldenburg Answers Community Questions with Ryan Moody within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Clint Oldenburg Answers Community Questions with Ryan Moody

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelD34KC
The real downer is him talking about how all of the things we want fixed are "Legacy" and were there before this dev team got there.

Meaning they wont do anything about it if it works in there money making MUT mode.

They really dont care about franchise mode, everything theyve done, all the fixs they have put in are geared toward MUT and online people.

I dont blame them, thats where the paycheck is.
At some point they have to own the game they put forward.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #42
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
penalties based on user actions? Hmmm...what about cpu penalties? How will they get called? How and when will the cpu be called for DPI, Facemask, offsides, etc. I know there is a system now...but it stinks. Another year of cpu penalties not being in the game at a realistic rate and variety?

awareness of first down marker and goal lines? I suspect sideline awareness also falls into this category. Although they tweaked it last year, it is still not right. Too many players do not cut up field in time, when they have the room, and wind up going out of bounds. They even run their pass patterns out of bounds at times!

These are 2 glaring on the field gameplay issues that if not fixed for 18 will stand out like a sore thumb...again.

C
Was thinking the same with penalties. Big "Huh??" May have to give benefit of the doubt here to Clint. It's possible they're still not used to the different gameplay modes yet and trip up. He may have been referring to competitive only or thought the question referred to competitive. He's done this on a couple of the interviews where he seems to contradict the 'sim' mentality. It's also on the interviewer to spot that and ask for clarification.

Now, the 1st down awareness thing. I'm confused there too. And they've had the mechanic on defense where you can have your zone defenders "play the sticks". While it certainly 'feels' this way, but does this mean that this has not worked even tho it's in the game? I've noticed too often where I try to use that and the LB's drop 10 yds anyway. Sadly, would not surprise since we know 'shading' hasn't been working, until this year...hopefully.

And supposedly they 'fixed' sideline awareness. we'll see. These interviews so far seem to be bringing more questions than clarity. Too bad.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deu22ces
Was thinking the same with penalties. Big "Huh??" May have to give benefit of the doubt here to Clint. It's possible they're still not used to the different gameplay modes yet and trip up. He may have been referring to competitive only or thought the question referred to competitive. He's done this on a couple of the interviews where he seems to contradict the 'sim' mentality. It's also on the interviewer to spot that and ask for clarification.

Now, the 1st down awareness thing. I'm confused there too. And they've had the mechanic on defense where you can have your zone defenders "play the sticks". While it certainly 'feels' this way, but does this mean that this has not worked even tho it's in the game? I've noticed too often where I try to use that and the LB's drop 10 yds anyway. Sadly, would not surprise since we know 'shading' hasn't been working, until this year...hopefully.

And supposedly they 'fixed' sideline awareness. we'll see. These interviews so far seem to be bringing more questions than clarity. Too bad.
Play 5he sticks definitely works for the defense. I have been burnt deep many times because my underneath zone is playing too short. It works best on third and seven or longer. Playing the sticks on short yardage is quite risky. The problem with the system is that while you are playing the sticks the offense doesn't give a **** about them. Converting third down is not a priority for the cpu. Avoiding the sack is the goal of qb's in '17, not winning games
Old 06-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 19

I have 2 profiles so I'm just going to do $4.99 for each to get 20 hrs of deep Ratings testing to find the new Thresholds that have been implemented.

I played the game at EA Play which was geared towards H2H play, so couldn't really test anything out that an Offline Sim gamer would want to see.

The one thing I don't like is this "180" degree switch to flooding the gaming communities with NBA Live material.
I mean an "in depth" showcasing of the product by every Youtuber, Gamechanger, Twitter big wig that went to EA Play/E3.

Rex and Co have back off with Madden and see nothing but Live stuff with so much that needs to be answered/shown about Madden.

No big thing, but just got a chuckle how game push just switched completely within a day or two. lol

Also, those that had some single play time have really not helped the community with the info they've put out.
It's impressions with no description about what is different or improved from M17.
No examples to paint a picture so that others can try and put it together.

I always try and describe it in as much detail as possible, but man, these YouTube impression vids have done little to nothing to help put the game itself out there.

I'm still pushing for "User Custom Cam" without being a pest, but so far some of the big Youtubers have retweeted (w/dev's attached) it's nothing their interested in.
My reply was aren't you suppose to be the median for "all" gamer options and not just what you think is good?
Shouldn't "Customization" be the backbone of everything you present to the dev's?
Have yet to get a reply!!!

Madden Gameplay will be fun, just don't like how it's taken a backseat to Live.

Lastly, I wonder how the Madden community would react to having Lives "Synergy" setup brought over into Madden?

Last edited by khaliib; 06-23-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #45
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
As opposed to being completely random, I'd much prefer if my in-game actions have meaningful consequences.

If I'm playing an online franchise game and my opponent is calling a ton of bump-and-run, I have no problem if the game wants to trigger more defensive holding penalties in that case. That is a fair risk-reward for using an aggressive tactic.

Even as someone who self-identifies as a "sim" guy, 100% completely random penalties completely outside of my control and influence are nothing but frustrating to me. This is one reason I welcome back the coaching adjustments. I can tell my guys to play more aggressively, but I might pay for it.

I respectfully disagree. If authenticity is the goal, players need to have individual tendencies to commit penalties that vary from their peers. It adds another layer of user decision-making involving cost/benefit analysis of their personnel rather than deciding a player's role by their raw ability. The only way to replicate that in a video game like Madden is to tie it into their dice-roll system and have another layer of dice rolls to replicate higher/lower frequency of calls in certain situations - such as press coverage and off coverage as examples.

Penalties are frustrating part of football. As are QB over-throws on otherwise perfectly executed plays. As are key injuries that impact the future of a season. I can go on, but you understand my point. A lot of players want to trade away certain aspects of authenticity to increase their personal pursuit of fun, which is fine and reasonable, but I would like the default design of the game to support authenticity first - giving you, the player, the option to ADJUST what you want from there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #46
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Once again there is this glaring disconnect between what gamers are informing EA Tib the issues are vs what EA Tib keeps hearing or interpreting. It seems to be getting framed as User based vs complete random, which is absurd, what gamers want here, like with so many other consequential aspects of football in-game, is CONTEXT. No reasonable gamer of any labeling prefers completely random penalties, "sim", "competitive" or otherwise, they don't want completely random anything I can think of outside of weather/wind maybe.

The discussions around this game so often devolve into the silliest mess, that if not for the fact EA Tib seems to adopt these POVs, it would be amusing. It's unbelievable that given how other sports sims handle these things, how past Maddens have handled these things and just common sense, that anyone would need to go into detailed specifics about something like not wanting completely random penalties, in order to prevent EA Tib and others from thinking that equals only having User controlled penalties or none at all.

Following this train of thought, that seems to get more prevalent out of EA Tib every year, under the pretext of what "competitive" gamers want, there shouldn't be any ratings, everything right down to a players speed should be determined by stick skill, maybe something akin to the old days of rapid button presses and/or right stick/left stick flicking.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #47
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
I have 2 profiles so I'm just going to do $4.99 for each to get 20 hrs of deep Ratings testing to find the new Thresholds that have been implemented.

I played the game at EA Play which was geared towards H2H play, so couldn't really test anything out that an Offline Sim gamer would want to see.

The one thing I don't like is this "180" degree switch to flooding the gaming communities with NBA Live material.
I mean an "in depth" showcasing of the product by every Youtuber, Gamechanger, Twitter big wig that went to EA Play/E3.

Rex and Co have back off with Madden and see nothing but Live stuff with so much that needs to be answered/shown about Madden.

No big thing, but just got a chuckle how game push just switched completely within a day or two. lol

Also, those that had some single play time have really not helped the community with the info they've put out.
It's impressions with no description about what is different or improved from M17.
No examples to paint a picture so that others can try and put it together.

I always try and describe it in as much detail as possible, but man, these YouTube impression vids have done little to nothing to help put the game itself out there.

I'm still pushing for "User Custom Cam" without being a pest, but so far some of the big Youtubers have retweeted (w/dev's attached) it's nothing their interested in.
My reply was aren't you suppose to be the median for "all" gamer options and not just what you think is good?
Shouldn't "Customization" be the backbone of everything you present to the dev's?
Have yet to get a reply!!!

Madden Gameplay will be fun, just don't like how it's taken a backseat to Live.

Lastly, I wonder how the Madden community would react to having Lives "Synergy" setup brought over into Madden?

Let's all ban together on Os Forum and all of us buy NBA live and NO ONE buy madden!!!

Who's with me??!!!

[crickets]

Lol. I'm just kidding, but that would actually be pretty funny if NBA live outsold madden because hardcore madden fans are upset about a few decisions this year.

And, while NBA live has been trash for years, I do remember the sega Genesis days, lol, where every superstar player had specific spots on their court to do a signature dunk/move. Oh, those were the days. Patrick Ewing had a ridiculous throw off the backboard 2 handed dunk that made ya momma cry!!! Lol. Loved that game back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Once again there is this glaring disconnect between what gamers are informing EA Tib the issues are vs what EA Tib keeps hearing or interpreting. It seems to be getting framed as User based vs complete random, which is absurd, what gamers want here, like with so many other consequential aspects of football in-game, is CONTEXT. No reasonable gamer of any labeling prefers completely random penalties, "sim", "competitive" or otherwise, they don't want completely random anything I can think of outside of weather/wind maybe.

The discussions around this game so often devolve into the silliest mess, that if not for the fact EA Tib seems to adopt these POVs, it would be amusing. It's unbelievable that given how other sports sims handle these things, how past Maddens have handled these things and just common sense, that anyone would need to go into detailed specifics about something like not wanting completely random penalties, in order to prevent EA Tib and others from thinking that equals only having User controlled penalties or none at all.

Following this train of thought, that seems to get more prevalent out of EA Tib every year, under the pretext of what "competitive" gamers want, there shouldn't be any ratings, everything right down to a players speed should be determined by stick skill, maybe something akin to the old days of rapid button presses and/or right stick/left stick flicking.
Thumbs up !!! Great post !

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »