Home

Madden 18 is Once Again Kicking Improvements to CFM Down the Road (US Gamer)

This is a discussion on Madden 18 is Once Again Kicking Improvements to CFM Down the Road (US Gamer) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #41
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Madden 18 is Once Again Kicking Improvements to CFM Down the Road (US Gamer)

I am shocked how video games are still at $60, pleasantly so. I mean, I can't remember the last time they were cheaper? Was it PS1/ Dreamcast era? I know O.G. Xbox and Playstation 2 games were $59.99.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #42
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden 18 is Once Again Kicking Improvements to CFM Down the Road (US Gamer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
I am shocked how video games are still at $60, pleasantly so. I mean, I can't remember the last time they were cheaper? Was it PS1/ Dreamcast era? I know O.G. Xbox and Playstation 2 games were $59.99.
On one hand, AAA games are overdue for a price correction.

On the other hand, pre-order bonuses have arguably taken care of that cost correction, and also there's pressure from free-to-play mobile games which did not previously exist.

It's complicated.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
On one hand, AAA games are overdue for a price correction.

On the other hand, pre-order bonuses have arguably taken care of that cost correction, and also there's pressure from free-to-play mobile games which did not previously exist.

It's complicated.

I think it's a lot more simpler than that, with the amount of money DLC brings in now a days there is isn't a need to raise price on the actual game. DLC is making a killing for companies today.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #44
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

This is why I'm passing on 18. I love CFM (as much as one can), but since it doesn't change much, I buy every other year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
I agree. When I first started gaming, Gamecube and Ps2 games were $49.99. This was back in what...2001? Game prices have gone up less than $.50 per year since if averaged. Considering how inflation has hit everything else much harder, that's impressive. Granted, DLC has bolstered profits and allowed them to keep base price low. I bought all the uniform packs for NCAA 14, so in essence that game cost me $75 or so.

Still, cost per hour of entertainment is impossible to beat. Hundreds of hours of gameplay for $60.

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #45
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
$99 sneakers are not a necessity but that's neither here or there. My point is that its odd that a massive AAA game which has had its cost of development skyrocket has the same cost it did for last 15 years? more?

I personally would pay $99 for a game in which there were enough resources to devote attention to improving each mode each year.
I would just walk away, just like people can walk away because there isn't improvements to this or that, etc.... each year.

Again, why take that risk with your stockholders, if they start losing money because they set up a higher price point in the market, the stockholders will sell their stock quickly and jump ship.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #46
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
$99 sneakers are not a necessity but that's neither here or there. My point is that its odd that a massive AAA game which has had its cost of development skyrocket has the same cost it did for last 15 years? more?

I personally would pay $99 for a game in which there were enough resources to devote attention to improving each mode each year.
I'm right there with you generally speaking but specifically with Madden, I doubt it would matter. The fact is that the other top sports games have similar realities for developing games yet Madden is the one that lacks the most in providing the gaming experience I enjoyed prior to the exclusive. Highlighting the realities of game design, ie limited time, resources, diverse gamer styles, etc, as unique to Madden has always been bunk and as another poster stated, increased revenue from a higher purchase price would likely just mean more of the same.

This whole unfortunate situation has many of us scrambling to try to understand why things are the way they are, especially considering the other top sports genres seem to be generally where one would expect from 2004 until present day. If you think about it, it makes far more sense to pay $99 or whatever increased amount for games that have met or exceeded expectations vs one that hasn't. Free market principles and all that suggest that paying more for Madden would be an endorsement for "more of the same".

If EA TIb wanted Madden CFM to be something other than what it currently is, it would be that, no requirement for gamers to do anything different. The issue is them not us, so I take the suggestions that gamers do x with a grain of salt. I think plenty of gamers just don't want to face facts that we have very little to no impact on what Madden Franchise will be and wonder at what point that stops being framed as "positive vs negative" instead of simply reality vs wishful thinking.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #47
Banned

Madden 18 is Once Again Kicking Improvements to CFM Down the Road (US Gamer)

Uh... The game I'm buying is $99. Well, closer to $90 after EA Access discount. Many games are closer to $100 once you acquire the full game. They increased game prices by subtracting content, which is a pretty fair way to do so. For some games, I get that ultra edition, others I don't.

But I play the heck out of MUT, so the $99 edition is a fantastic bargain. It's the only packs I will spend cash on, as you a pack a week for 30 weeks or so for far less than the $5-$10 you might otherwise spend.

But go on, talk about how EA owes CFM players more attention. What could they add to get you to spend $100?

Edit: I was wrong. Looking it up and the GOAT edition is just $80 with 12 packs. So they dropped it from last year.

But still, look at most games across other genres. What do you think Season Passes really are?

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 07-07-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I'm right there with you generally speaking but specifically with Madden, I doubt it would matter. The fact is that the other top sports games have similar realities for developing games yet Madden is the one that lacks the most in providing the gaming experience I enjoyed prior to the exclusive. Highlighting the realities of game design, ie limited time, resources, diverse gamer styles, etc, as unique to Madden has always been bunk and as another poster stated, increased revenue from a higher purchase price would likely just mean more of the same.

This whole unfortunate situation has many of us scrambling to try to understand why things are the way they are, especially considering the other top sports genres seem to be generally where one would expect from 2004 until present day. If you think about it, it makes far more sense to pay $99 or whatever increased amount for games that have met or exceeded expectations vs one that hasn't. Free market principles and all that suggest that paying more for Madden would be an endorsement for "more of the same".

If EA TIb wanted Madden CFM to be something other than what it currently is, it would be that, no requirement for gamers to do anything different. The issue is them not us, so I take the suggestions that gamers do x with a grain of salt. I think plenty of gamers just don't want to face facts that we have very little to no impact on what Madden Franchise will be and wonder at what point that stops being framed as "positive vs negative" instead of simply reality vs wishful thinking.
The bold is exactly right. Ever since they neutered Franchise to "Connect" us all (ironic that we'll be 'segregated' again this year), I would have been OK if they just admitted the failure, gave us minor upgrades, and 'secretly' (or not) worked behind the scenes for a few years to give us the overhaul Franchise truly needs and deserves. But all the excuses you mentioned, especially time, are/were used non-stop by EA regarding CFM every year. Then, this year, come to find they did 'secretly' spend time and resources on a game mode behind the scenes while giving us minor upgrades every year...not where you'd think tho or where the community was vocal...but a brand new one, that few if any screamed for, that might do well or not, but doesn't already have a 20 year history and following of 65% of users playing it. And it sounds like they put things in it that the CFM community has asked for for years but they didn't have the 'resources', system memory, or coding ability to do so. Go figure.

4 years ago (5 really) it was decided that EA would commit large resources to this Madden 'Movie'. Imagine if they had done the same with Franchise and rolled it out this year instead. If only they really wanted to...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »