Home

Good Article on the Releasing Game Play Later in the Process

This is a discussion on Good Article on the Releasing Game Play Later in the Process within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #25
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Good Article on the Releasing Game Play Later in the Process

Give me year to year roster saves (MLB), real player editing (MLB), and a real uniform editor(no need in MLB, all their unis are all there and patched when asked by users), and I will shut the h@@# up with regards to the complete, total, and hair-pulling lack of Madden video this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
With all due respect deuces but this is seriously confusing and mind boggling man. I quit playing last year's game because it was so bad. I couldn't even take it anymore.
no problem, but you didn't specify what exactly was mind boggling. You bolded from 2 different posts that had different context to them. The first was referencing the marketing questioning of EA and game play videos. My position is that (maybe until this year) 2K had a customer base that trusts their direction with game play (a point i cleared up in the reply to Roadman). It's been fairly consistent so showing less video is not as alarming to some. Why show video of essentially the same stuff each year? Madden is trying to bring trust back but we have to wait to see if that takes hold or not. They supposedly 'fixed' a bunch of game play issues and has better graphics, so naturally people want to see this in action b/c it's 'different'.

The 2nd was in direct reply to Roadman's disagreement about game play. He gave his personal opinion about '17. He's entitled to that and I respect it. If 2K took steps backward this year, I wouldn't know personally b/c I didn't get this years. I don't have current knowledge of it, thus no personal opinion of this year's game. I have played previous versions of 2K and found game play pretty solid (maybe that's where you got confused b/c i didn't specify that?). If that's not the consensus opinion any longer, then i'm ok with being wrong on that front. You don't seem to like it either. Is that the majority opinion? And has it regressed behind Madden?

I'm not someone who has an issue with being wrong at times. I'll go back and edit the post if 2K has fallen behind Madden and lost trust of their fan base.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #27
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Are you positive that is the only reason why they don't want to release game play early because of the nitpicking?
I don't know anything for sure was just stating my opinion
Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #28
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Personally, I've fallen from my old OS ways of gobbling up every bit of hype train news. For the last couple of years, blame old age, I just wait until a month out before checking for games. It has failed horribly this season because there is very little to catch up on.

I see what they're doing but I much rather them not mention anything at all until a month out and then flood the streets. That way the hype is high and you sell more copies due to it. Saying something in April or whenever and then getting tight lipped loses some of the hype. Mentioning it in April, almost kills the competitive scene and most leagues (other than summer) because now we're thinking about the new game. Now we're content with trading in the current game and moving onto other games until it drops. Play other games, slowly stop paying attention/looking for Madden news.

My ideal way: Don't plan on dropping anything until after the Fourth of July weekend. By then, you have a more solid build and they could record games between the community attendees (instead of off camera stuff) and/or have Madden Mondays up until release. Doing something similar would allow the competitive scene to thrive a bit longer than 8 months per game, build hype, allow for consistent communication between the community and community managers (and organized) and keeps Madden on everyone's mind at least once a week until it drops.

Just a way to keep my old self engaged. I know that sucks for the up and coming OSers but throw us older guys a bone haha.

Sidenote: I love how watching some of the newer posters are grabbing the torch and continuing to dish ideas out to better the game. Makes me smile knowing the good fight is still being fought.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #29
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

I find it interesting that people think madden needs a hype train to sell. Whether they release all the info in June, July,August or none at all the game will sell. It's just the way the market works at this point in time.

The conversation I have with anyone that plays madden is usually "are you getting madden this year?" "Yes/no" or "eventually". No one is ever like what's Madden? Sell me on it.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
Personally, I've fallen from my old OS ways of gobbling up every bit of hype train news. For the last couple of years, blame old age, I just wait until a month out before checking for games. It has failed horribly this season because there is very little to catch up on.

I see what they're doing but I much rather them not mention anything at all until a month out and then flood the streets. That way the hype is high and you sell more copies due to it. Saying something in April or whenever and then getting tight lipped loses some of the hype. Mentioning it in April, almost kills the competitive scene and most leagues (other than summer) because now we're thinking about the new game. Now we're content with trading in the current game and moving onto other games until it drops. Play other games, slowly stop paying attention/looking for Madden news.

My ideal way: Don't plan on dropping anything until after the Fourth of July weekend. By then, you have a more solid build and they could record games between the community attendees (instead of off camera stuff) and/or have Madden Mondays up until release. Doing something similar would allow the competitive scene to thrive a bit longer than 8 months per game, build hype, allow for consistent communication between the community and community managers (and organized) and keeps Madden on everyone's mind at least once a week until it drops.

Just a way to keep my old self engaged. I know that sucks for the up and coming OSers but throw us older guys a bone haha.

Sidenote: I love how watching some of the newer posters are grabbing the torch and continuing to dish ideas out to better the game. Makes me smile knowing the good fight is still being fought.
Well, when for years you released game play by a certain date, naturally, when things change to a later date, you will get speculations running the gamut here and on Twitter.

During EA Play, at OS, the questioning of not releasing video began and hasn't let up since, naturally so. It continued on here and Twitter, even though one of the developers a few weeks ago repeatedly on Twitter announced the dates game play would be green lighted.

My point was the were silent until recently they were bombarded with the when question on Twitter.

It is what it is.

Welcome back Jerzey, haven't seen you around in awhile. Hope everything is well on your end.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #31
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I find it interesting that people think madden needs a hype train to sell. Whether they release all the info in June, July,August or none at all the game will sell. It's just the way the market works at this point in time.

The conversation I have with anyone that plays madden is usually "are you getting madden this year?" "Yes/no" or "eventually". No one is ever like what's Madden? Sell me on it.

Exactly. We can mention the NFL exclusivity, here, as well. There are a lot of reasons doesn't need a hype train and I believe they'll sell the same amt of units as normal, regardless.

2 things that bug me. And, understand, I'm not overly bugged by these, but as we're discussing the marketing and gameplay videos early/late/etc.

1. The nitpicking argument. Whether u bring out gameplay vids in June, July, or wait till August, there is always plenty of time to nitpick the videos. And, while the game might be in a beta, alpha, gamma, whateva build, there will always be things to nitpick about. So, if this is an arg from marketers, it really just doesn't make a difference. There will always be time before the game drops to rip holes in the game.

2. Ea play and e3 are in June. While this may be slightly farther out than some companies might want to release gameplay footage (although, I'd also argue it's 3 months compared to 1? So, it's still not ridiculous), it's still close enough. And, the fact that they're letting some randoms play the game that can give their voices, there's already some nitpicking, or hyping going on. And, for me, it's just the simplicity of 'we're letting people play now, let's record some video footage and let it out to the core community that wants to see it early.

To be clear, they don't owe us and they don't have to do anything, lol. But, the nitpicking arg is weak and, again, I just think the fact that you have this big EA play event where 'anyone can come'. Btw, I live in Atlanta, ga. I'm not flying to Cali to play madden for 10mins. Lol. So, it's not like anyone can really make the event. But, u have the event, you're allowing, idk, 100's, 1000's of people to play it? Why not have the gamechangers record something and put it out? That way, u can satisfy thousands, idk, millions of core fans with some early footage. And, if it's not great because of the build, have the game changers put some out again early August. Core madden players will watch that as well. It's a win-win, imo. It's not going to lose millions of sales or anything, u know? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #32
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Well, according to VG Chartz, there was a 1.5 million copies of hard disk sales that they lost between 16 and 17. (not including digital sales, MUT, etc.....)

The nitpicking is just out there as an opinion, like all the other opinions.

If they move more units this year, I see them staying the course with the new set up similar to the release of other games.

The reason why people are complaining, in my opinion, because it's a change from the way it was done before and in the eyes of gamers, it's not a change for the good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »