Home

Madden 18 Longshot Scott Porter Blog

This is a discussion on Madden 18 Longshot Scott Porter Blog within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #33
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 18 Longshot Scott Porter Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
So for the sake of not being an ignorant critic, I caved the other day and played through the entire "The Journey" in FIFA 17. Now, even moreso, it just doesn't make sense to me in the same way the Spike Lee NBA 2k thing didn't. It is a cliche-ridden, over-written, and disjointed experience of ham-fisted cut-scenes with dialogue trees, some generic in-engine stuff, and slightly abridged standard gameplay with additional targets and scripting/game shaping elements overriding the usual experience. Now, even if it is a groundbreaking interactive movie experience—I don't think I want that in Madden.

I just don't see the value from a game design standpoint or an artistic one. Now, I believe "The Journey" was well-received, but to me, it still feels like the mania everyone had over impressive FMV in the PS1 era, and that wore thin rather quickly, and people realized it was a rather hollow experience when the awe wore off.

Is this type of mode really going to bring new customers into the series? Is there a swath of casuals out there who think Madden is too open-ended and unwieldy for their tastes, but they'd be in if they could play an interactive football movie? I'm skeptical.

Purpose-built narrative and cinematic games have a tough enough time producing valuable contributions to the medium, and the standouts are few and far between. It might not be a valid interpretation of the allocation process for Madden's development, but there are so many other things I'd like to see improve that are related to the football and NFL football world simulation aspects of the product. Instead we get a big budget football video game dialogue tree movie.
I think the only impact longshot will have on madden, is devs teating the market with new mechanics, that they're too afraid to put in the full game at launch.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #34
Banned

Brightline's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
So if you cant play football games, what do you do?
I am genuinely asking. What is this mode? I just read the blog and have no idea.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #35
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
So if you cant play football games, what do you do?
"But we’ve never seen where you can take control of someone’s actual life and play a huge part in their journey.”"

So i guess you can determine what he drinks and eats for breakfast, then watch him do it? Maybe tell him to go to the store and by some new cloths, take selfies, send some emails to teams you want to see you at combine......

I mean , because we have never seen in a game where you take over someones actual life before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Wow, I thought we were over marketing Longshot, but, marketing wanted to lead with Longshot.

Way to underestimate the core community.

Not even in the same ballpark.

Im just at a loss personally. Longshot is this huge deal to your game this year and marketing. But from what ive seen the marketing of this mode is , well not good to be as nice as i can . I mean we still basically dont know that much about it, more questions than any real answers. Everyone knew since the trailor for it the guy was going to the combine.... still dont know much else other than that really.

But im no marketing genius

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel

Last edited by howboutdat; 07-18-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #36
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

It's almost as if the want Longshot to fail. Again, wait until the casuals figure out you don't actually play in the NFL.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 07-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #37
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

There HAS to be another in-depth blog regarding this mode. There is no way this is it. This is their headliner for this year.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #38
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend_heat
Is there any new info in there? Watch the first "gameplay trailer" be Longshot
Don't give them any ideas. Honestly at this point..won't be surprised if ea access is our first glimpse at gameplay
Old 07-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #39
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
There HAS to be another in-depth blog regarding this mode. There is no way this is it. This is their headliner for this year.
Absolutely no way that this is it. I would bet that you will see more of an in-depth blog on it later this week with some gameplay(if there is any) by Thursday. Don't think we will see the real stuff with our part of the game (franchise/actual gameplay on the field) til next week. I don't have any information, but that's just what this feels like to me anyway.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #40
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Meanwhile Rex is trolling on Twitter about him playing M18 right now........

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »