Home

Madden 18: Game Styles

This is a discussion on Madden 18: Game Styles within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:20 PM   #73
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Madden 18: Game Styles

Has anyone heard if we will be able to choose which tuner version we prefer? Like with NHL...version 1.00,1.01 etc.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 AM   #74
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Posted by Khaliib on June 12th.

Khaliib is a poster on OS and knows the insides of Madden probably better than anyone I've seen. I've seen his frustrations with Madden over the years to the point of finding formulas or ways to play the game more sim.

Khaliib attended EA Play and he is not a GCer or attended on OS, he went on his own accord.

Now, folks can still question if the game will play out this way based on the past history of Madden and opinion of the game, but at the moment, I feel it's a good sign and good look on his part.

Immediately after playing the game at EA Play, I remarked to Rex that folks are going to have to shut out the negative noise until they put some play time in for themselves.

There is such a huge leap this year with "Gameplay" that you can easily get caught up in the what is/isn't, should/shouldn't, that your mindset makes you miss the improved M18 Gameplay.

The Gameplay is totally different from past releases.
This alone will add freshness to the current Franchise mechanisms because gameplay/player differentiation was not there to justify investing time in those areas.

Gameplay has been greatly advanced, which means Player Ratings now allow Player Differentiation, which now impact the other Franchise Mode mechanisms and so on and so forth.

M18 is going to be a breath of fresh air for a lot of Offline players.

Can't wait until my digital copy is unlocked!!!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #75
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Posted by Khaliib on June 12th.

Khaliib is a poster on OS and knows the insides of Madden probably better than anyone I've seen. I've seen his frustrations with Madden over the years to the point of finding formulas or ways to play the game more sim.

Khaliib attended EA Play and he is not a GCer or attended on OS, he went on his own accord.

Now, folks can still question if the game will play out this way based on the past history of Madden and opinion of the game, but at the moment, I feel it's a good sign and good look on his part.

Immediately after playing the game at EA Play, I remarked to Rex that folks are going to have to shut out the negative noise until they put some play time in for themselves.

There is such a huge leap this year with "Gameplay" that you can easily get caught up in the what is/isn't, should/shouldn't, that your mindset makes you miss the improved M18 Gameplay.

The Gameplay is totally different from past releases.
This alone will add freshness to the current Franchise mechanisms because gameplay/player differentiation was not there to justify investing time in those areas.

Gameplay has been greatly advanced, which means Player Ratings now allow Player Differentiation, which now impact the other Franchise Mode mechanisms and so on and so forth.

M18 is going to be a breath of fresh air for a lot of Offline players.

Can't wait until my digital copy is unlocked!!!
Something like that irks me, I respect khaliib's and anyone else's right to an opinion, everyone should do likewise. Saying until people have played the game their critical opinions based an Madden history is "negative noise", is insulting and condescending. It's also presumptuous and egotistical to suggest that because anyone has a certain opinion about M18 after playing, others will also. Don't get me wrong I hope he's right and there is a noticeable difference in the way M18 plays out but what was posted has undertones of if you don't see it like I see it there's something wrong with you, not the game, which I disagree with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #76
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I had a different take on that then you did, Big, and you are certainly entitled to think that is what they meant.

1) There are some people on Twitter that will complain to the highest degree that there is something lacking with the gameplay, etc... but the majority don't feel that way.

2) There are people on Twitter and here at OS that don't buy the game, don't own the game and don't play the game that will just eyeball Twitch, youtube etc. and make their comments known. Personally, I don't pay much attention to them at all. I would have added "personal play time."
Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #77
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

One thing to think about is the Legacy issue tuning. That's something that won't and shouldn't be marketed of course, but IMO it will be a major plus for simulation players.

Legacy gameplay flaws have contributed a lot of frustration in terms of interfering with ratings playing out the way they should. Poor man coverage, poor deep safety play, players running out of bounds on the sideline, blockers having poor targeting on open field blocks, etc.

If these things really are greatly improved, then the sim style should play much better than the default Madden has maybe ever played.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #78
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I don't even think I'd trust my early impressions of M18, much less anyone else's because I can remember when they had demos back in the day, I'd feel optimistic about the game until I had the retail for awhile. No reasonable person goes in wanting to hate Madden or not like things about it, they go in looking for a reason to enjoy it, so I'm weary of early impressions. I still recall gamers like Bezo, LBz, PGaither, etc going down to play early builds of Madden and countless other early impressions from various events, respected gamers, I don't ever recall seeing much criticism, nor would I expect to at that point. I guess my point is the jury is still out for me on Madden at this point until the retail is released and in the hands of the masses for a while. For discussion sake I like to have all the info and game play video possible though.

With regard to these game play styles how things play out in the mode will determine everything for me. I hope simulation setting is what so many of us have advocated for, a separate mode/factory setting to make Madden play as NFL realistic as possible according to EA Tib devs. My concern is that it ends up being an afterthought or trickle down setting, which would be better than what we've had before but not what we have advocated for.

I won't go into this too much because again, hopefully the actual mode renders my concerns moot, I'll just say I always envisioned the simulation setting, in this alleged simulation game, being the focal point of design and development, while a mode like competitive was a custom variation of it, not the other way around. Again though, all that could be moot if simulation setting plays a solid and a different game of football as Rex and others have said.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #79
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
But what improvements were you looking for? I'm not being a jerk here, I'm genuinely wondering?

I guess maybe more realistic penalties. But it's not like the penalties were bad last year. In fact, they were the best they've been since I can remember.

Defensive holding and offensive PI were fantastic additions.

I think improvements to gameplay may help make the game more sim in general. So I think that will be a factor.

Not to jump in late to conversation and harp on what's probably already been discussed. And I agree with everything you said but something's I would have like to see added for Simulation that in the past couldn't because of the competitive community is:

1) Bad/Dropped Snap
2) Wind effecting Passing
3) Snow and Rain (Running and Passing Impact) Most of the passing tree shouldn't be ran with crisp route in snow.

Those are just a few. And I get them not being added this year, but would've been nice to see one of them to highlight to the Sim guys why this addition of Styles is a huge deal. It allows those little things to be added without upset the Competitive Community with these random results.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 07-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #80
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I don't even think I'd trust my early impressions of M18, much less anyone else's because I can remember when they had demos back in the day, I'd feel optimistic about the game until I had the retail for awhile.
With that in mind, I played my first game of Madden 17 and the QB fumbled the ball. Ok, I've seen that before a million times but the ball then rolled around (remember they touted new ball physics) for a while until it was picked up. The manner in which it was recovered felt natural and organic, even if it did take too long for another player to get their hands on it. My first impression was wow, this is amazing. After about the first patch, a similar thing happened and the ball was recovered much quicker but when i checked the replay it was just sucked right into the nearest players hands. He didn't even make a move to get it. I took videos of both, I was so impressed/annoyed. First impressions don't always last. My hope is that the SIM tuning allows for more of the former and less of the latter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »