Home

Madden NFL 18: Blocking Blog

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18: Blocking Blog within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18: Blocking Blog

The awareness thing would be great if it wasn't so cheap. They boil all the mental aspects of football down to one attribute and make it very cheap. Awareness should be as expensive as speed. The nfl is actually better at making people faster than they are at creating geniuses.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #18
MVP

Sorry guys, don't be mad. I don't care about blogs. I rather they just release video showing these things. Sports Devs have been talking about improving stuff and how great it is every year. The written word holds no weight at this point and time in my world. Blogs should be about feature sets, telling me about what you fixed and how much better it is, is the same thing you have said for a decade.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
By far the best blog yet. Absolutely love this:

Actually making AWR matter is great and changes the way you have to progress players in franchise. Hope they do this a lot more with other positions and especially QB's.
I would love to see AWR of QB's causing shaky routes and hidden receiver button icons like we saw in NCAA 14 when the away QB was affected by Home Team advantages.

I would also like for the routes, or buttons to be missing from the play card in the play selection screen. AWR should matter more, players forget plays or specific routes occasionally and this would be a cool way to represent that.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #20
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Sounds like some really great additions. Love that it's coming from a football standpoint too.

Love the part about the awareness ratings for the OL and how it affects the group, and even the Center having a greater impact. Great sounding stuff.

Blocking in Madden has always been a bit frustrating at times, especially on screens, downfield with WR's and stuff, so hopefully this helps
Old 07-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #21
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
The awareness thing would be great if it wasn't so cheap. They boil all the mental aspects of football down to one attribute and make it very cheap. Awareness should be as expensive as speed. The nfl is actually better at making people faster than they are at creating geniuses.
Disagree 100%, you don't really get faster (speed) in the NFL......but you get a whole lot smarter football wise (awareness). Speed should always be way, way more expensive than any other attribute because you know "you cant teach speed"

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #22
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
This is pretty close to a "complete overhaul" it seems?
It's still binary win/loss. No concept of anchoring, no real physics. Just win or loss animations. You're engaged or not engaged. Defensive linemen are always trying to penetrate. It needs a complete physical overhaul.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
My favorite so far. I really like the AWR stuff a lot. Blocking still needs a complete overhaul, but I'll take it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

I'm with you, the improvements are good, but it's still the same blocking system, I want a completely new blocking system, more on the aspect of player interaction and animations that are dynamic, instead of seeing the 1 block shed animation after set time based on ratings

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #24
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Impact Blocking, with the addition of the Blocking Stick on offense and the “Blow-up/Submarine the Blocker” mechanic on defense, both offensive and defensive players will now be rated in the Impact Block category (IMP). This rating will be used in a formula with body weight and movement speed for both blockers and defenders to determine the outcomes of moving blocks, when the blocker or defender is running faster than a jog speed.
A very welcomed addition; the mechanic and the factoring of speed. As someone who controls the middle linebacker the guards climb too fast and there's never been any recourse of way to combat it even if I read fast and take on the block right now even when controlling a guy like a Bobby Wagner. Hopefully now I'll be able to stone a guy properly.

Quote:
Running the ball vs. a weak box. In Madden 18, we’ve expanded our logic around defenses stopping the run when using sub defenses such as dime, dollar and quarter. If the offense is in a run formation and running a hard-ball, downhill run play against a defense with very few defenders or a lot of defensive backs in the tackle box, the defense will have a very hard time stopping the running play. In many cases a lot of the defenders will end up getting pancaked. This also applies to the “Pass Commit” adjustment vs. a running formation and when dropping defensive linemen into coverage against a running formation.
I know nickel wasn't mentioned but it is technically still a sub defense. I hope the ability to stop the run from Nickel isn't neutered. It can already be a little perrilous from nickel normal vs. inside zone run as it is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »