Home

Madden NFL 18: Blocking Blog

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18: Blocking Blog within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL 18: Blocking Blog

Great AI/logic improvements. I hope next year, we will see animations and physics following suit. I feel it doesn't matter how good the animations look if things aren't working correctly and the logic isn't there.

Like many have said, I want to see contextual animations, physics, holding penalties, slips, desperation attempts by beat o-lineman, signature stunts, pre snap communication, lineman looking where the ball is when a qb is scrambling, etc.

If there is one way too early wish for madden 19, it would be - make it the year of the animations. The good, bad, and ugly. Bring the human element back to the game.

EDIT: I watched a Youtube Vid on PES vs Fifa. The best explanation the guy gave was PES felt like controlling miniature humans, while Fifa felt like controlling CPU avatars (robots). I believe NBA does a great job as well of making you feel like you are controlling the "miniature version" of NBA teams. I believe that's what many of us want for madden.

Last edited by johnnyg713; 07-28-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuoreceltico
When we see gameplay where we will see what they are talking about?
I've watched my fullback ignore linebackers and DB's for as long as I can remember playing Madden.

I am not insane, but anyone who believes that type of issue is now fixed, might be.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I agree, great blog; one of the best along with the coaching assignments blog..

Maybe they could talk former GM great Ron Wolf into coming in and advising? THat would be awesome, and I agree with what you are saying about needing experienced insight.
That is the thing though, they don't really need experienced insight here. You shouldn't need Ron Wolf advising in order to improve franchise. It was like a snarky swipe at them more than genuine advice I guess.

This isn't the first time we have gotten a blocking blog I think. And again, its great that they continue to build on and improve blocking year to year, but it is almost like the only thing that gets improved on at this level every year.
I want to see other members of the team take that same determination Clint has with authentic blocking and apply it to other areas of the game. And you don't need previous professional experience to do so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #52
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
That is the thing though, they don't really need experienced insight here. You shouldn't need Ron Wolf advising in order to improve franchise. It was like a snarky swipe at them more than genuine advice I guess.

This isn't the first time we have gotten a blocking blog I think. And again, its great that they continue to build on and improve blocking year to year, but it is almost like the only thing that gets improved on at this level every year.
I want to see other members of the team take that same determination Clint has with authentic blocking and apply it to other areas of the game. And you don't need previous professional experience to do so.
True... They could read Ron Wolf's book: The Packer Way: Nine Stepping Stones to Building a Winning Organization.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #53
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotileintruder1
Probably not, considering the accuracy, catching, coverage, and running problems in madden 17
Much of that is a result of the line problems.

QBs are too accurate because as long as everyone is engaged, the game considers that "no pressure."

Running problems stem from runningbacks ignoring "engaged" defenders, regardless whether the have anchor/position.

Catching issues making up for accuracy issues.

Blocking is the foundation. Until it's right, everything else has to compensate.

All that said; im sick of devs justifying doing nothing by saying, "we didn't wanna just put on a band aid." Clearly Clint didn't accept that, said screw it, a band-aid is better than a gushing wound, so I'm thankful as hell for everything in this blog.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Much of that is a result of the line problems.

QBs are too accurate because as long as everyone is engaged, the game considers that "no pressure."

Running problems stem from runningbacks ignoring "engaged" defenders, regardless whether the have anchor/position.

Catching issues making up for accuracy issues.

Blocking is the foundation. Until it's right, everything else has to compensate.

All that said; im sick of devs justifying doing nothing by saying, "we didn't wanna just put on a band aid." Clearly Clint didn't accept that, said screw it, a band-aid is better than a gushing wound, so I'm thankful as hell for everything in this blog.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app
Qbs were accurate in pressure, I made a cross body throw with Philip Rivers on all madden while being chased out of the pocket, and I've seen things worse than that when playing on Ultimate team

I'm not quite sure what you are saying about running problems but I'm talking about people slower than runners catching up to them and the slow animations

And catching, the devs have said receivers dropping wide open balls is a bug, you cannot steer where your receiver goes after he catches it (leading to people running out of bounds), and (this isn't as big but) the receiver always falls to the ground when you do an aggressive catch
Old 07-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #55
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
I've watched my fullback ignore linebackers and DB's for as long as I can remember playing Madden.

I am not insane, but anyone who believes that type of issue is now fixed, might be.
Not fixed entirely, but better than before, according to Clint:

Very specific question Clint, how do Fullbacks play in M18? Last year my FB would completely miss a block or be oblivious to his assignment

They are better. I'm not naive enough to say they are perfect, they will still miss sometimes, but lots of improvement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #56
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbrolic
Why don't they give us a video tutorial along with the blogs?? It's a better read if I get to SEE what they're talking about.
Totally agree. I know last year I stumbled on a few videos shared by Anthony White from their official twitter that gave a brief explanation of the new match coverages with the hastag maddenfilmroom. Never found more but I always thought there should a been a series of these.

https://twitter.com/EAMaddenNFL/stat...66874498441216

https://twitter.com/EAMaddenNFL/stat...34058321068032

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »