Home

Discussing Longshot Story Mode And New Passing Mechanics With A ‘Madden 18’ Producer

This is a discussion on Discussing Longshot Story Mode And New Passing Mechanics With A ‘Madden 18’ Producer within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Pro

StL_RamZ's Arena

OVR: 12
Discussing Longshot Story Mode And New Passing Mechanics With A ‘Madden 18’ Producer

I posted this in another thread but I felt like it needed its own thread

http://uproxx.com/sports/madden-18-l...lay-changes/4/

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Pro

StL_RamZ's Arena

OVR: 12

Nice little unannounced addition for people that's interested in story mode

Quote:
When all of that’s said and done, and I know Wade is going to be in MUT, will he make any appearance in Franchise mode as a character that you can draft?

Not as a character you can draft, but there is a way to play him in Franchise, and I’m glad you asked that, because this isn’t really out there yet, and as we’ve talked to our Game Changers who play a lot of franchise, they said, “You know, I want to continue that journey. I want to play with him in the NFL.” Go into Franchise, create a player and then select an undrafted or a late-round quarterback that is a mobile QB, the default player we set up for that scenario is, in fact, Devon Wade. So, you get his name, his background. You get his look. It’s him. And then you can actually go into any team you want.

I was initially a little disappointed to hear that Longshot just kind of ended at the draft, so hearing this, that you can bring Wade into your franchise and play is great.

The thing that’s gonna come later, that isn’t there right now, is you don’t hear a ton of richness around the commentary in talking about his backstory. That will come. It won’t be there at launch, but I have found it’s still fairly rewarding to play as Devon Wade in Franchise and see him on the field. You’ve got the whole story you built through the Longshot campaign mode and then just to continue in Franchise, it feels rewarding to me.
By the way, you can also continue Colt’s journey. If you go as a late-round or undrafted speed wide-receiver, the default guy is also Colt Cruise, and again, I don’t think anybody knows this yet. You’re the first person we’re telling. So, you can take either of those guys into Franchise and continue the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by StL_RamZ; 08-03-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Discussing Longshot Story Mode And New Passing Mechanics With A ‘Madden 18’ Produ

yeah i think it was a good move to add Devin as a playable character in a franchise mode .Some people will really enjoy that , alot better than not being able to play an NFL game with him.

From that article though, this was really a let down :

"No, there is not a physics package inside Frostbite that we’re using right now. It’s an updated version of a physics package that we previously had"

This really makes me doubt how much "improved" the physics are in 18 from 17...... for obvious reasons.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 08-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Discussing Longshot Story Mode And New Passing Mechanics With A ‘Madden 18’ Produ

yes, adding a way to play the Wade character was a very nice add-in by EA. Doesn't mean much to me personally but I know it will to others and that's awesome. Who knows, maybe Long Shot will really hook me like they're saying and I will want to mess with that a bit.

The part that I'm most interested in is the "You’re gonna call plays, call like an NFL quarterback". I'm curious if this is authentic to actual West Coast or Air Coryell verbiage; where it can be ported into CFM and really create a playbook knowledge component in the mode. West Coast has long-winded verbiage where some other systems use simple route tree numbers or others use concepts. I'd like to see players tied to a 'system' and depending on how far they branch away from it, they get an AWR/PRC hit in ratings until they 'learn' the system. You see new Head Coaches and coordinators all the time bring in a few veteran free agent players with them b/c they still play at a good level, but mostly b/c they know the system and can lead by example to younger players. There's a ton of CFM options within just one feature concept if EA wants to do it.

I like how he touched on arcade for playing with his son. My boys are at the age where they can play games but don't understand the complexities of football. I appreciate that and being able to play a simpler, fun inspired mode with them. Overall a nice blog.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

This was a really, REALLY hard thing to read if you're a franchise guy...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

It's very hard to read this entire blog without getting frustrated and angry.

Creative Director Rex Dickson said Madden 18 was the “Year of the User.” Could you explain that?

Quote:
I think what Rex is implying there is that we’ve been listening. Rex is probably one of our best at being on the forums and twitter and listening to what the fans are saying specifically about gameplay and delivering a feature set.
Umm, what?

In Connected Franchise, will there be any new options for people who run their teams for many years to see past team data or see older stats? For example, if I look back at my player card and I simulate a year, I can’t look back and see the number of games played from a player if they were injured.

Quote:
We don’t have that this year, but that is something that’s on our radar for future years. I’ve heard that idea before.
You heard that idea?! It was in previous versions of Madden!

So you’re now 13 iterations past the 2K5 series, but it still comes up. I guarantee you, when I post this article, someone’s gonna put it in the comments section. Are you guys sick of being compared to NFL 2K5?

Quote:
Sure. A little bit. It’s funny. I agree. We put our trailer up and it’s the first… It’s one of the top 10 comments you see on YouTube or whatever. It was a good game. I’m willing to admit that 2K5 was a good game, but there’s no doubt in my mind that we’re a better, deeper, richer game. It’s just nostalgia at this point. So, it is what it is. It’s funny.
Wow.

They really believe they're better, deeper and richer game? How can someone, a dev, or an executive or whatever be so completely out of touch it's really unreal....

Like if they said "Look, we're trying to go in a different direction or even we don't have the manpower to do these things, or we don't have the time to be able to do this with franchise", I MIGHT buy it. But for them to stand there after what little they've done if anything with CFM this year and flat out say they're deeper and richer?

You have got to be kidding me right now. I'm going to go read Deuce's post again and then proceed to throw myself off a tall building.

Last edited by extremeskins04; 08-03-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
This was a really, REALLY hard thing to read if you're a franchise guy...
Parts of it were, but there honestly is barely any mention of franchise besides the lack of stat history.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
It's very hard to read this entire blog without getting frustrated and angry.

Creative Director Rex Dickson said Madden 18 was the “Year of the User.” Could you explain that?

Umm, what?

In Connected Franchise, will there be any new options for people who run their teams for many years to see past team data or see older stats? For example, if I look back at my player card and I simulate a year, I can’t look back and see the number of games played from a player if they were injured.

You heard that idea?! It was in previous versions of Madden!

So you’re now 13 iterations past the 2K5 series, but it still comes up. I guarantee you, when I post this article, someone’s gonna put it in the comments section. Are you guys sick of being compared to NFL 2K5?

Wow.

They really believe they're better, deeper and richer game? How can someone, a dev, or an executive or whatever be so completely out of touch it's really unreal....

Like if they said "Look, we're trying to go in a different direction or even we don't have the manpower to do these things, or we don't have the time to be able to do this with franchise", I MIGHT buy it. But for them to stand there after what little they've done if anything with CFM this year and flat out say they're deeper and richer?

You have got to be kidding me right now. I'm going to go read Deuce's post again and then proceed to throw myself off a tall building.
If they are better and richer and deeper do we have crib where we can play mini games and buy jerseys and do a bunch of other ridiculous random stuff on top of getting to play first person football and having legit ESPN presentation in Madden this year? Nope. It's deeper and richer because EA is richer because of MUT and there's a dumb new mode called Longshot that sucked the resources straight out of CFM.

Send me the address of that tall building, I'll be there in ten minutes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »