Home

iMAV3RIQ's HONEST First Impression's Playing Madden 18

This is a discussion on iMAV3RIQ's HONEST First Impression's Playing Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #65
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: iMAV3RIQ's HONEST First Impression's Playing Madden 18

I don't get this "dumbed down for new players from long shot" bs. if someone picked up a football game, knowing it was about football, wouldn't they have a basic knowledge of football??? No one buys a game just for the story mode. For a sport they no nothing about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #66
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
After watching everything I am seeing some more positives. I really like some of the new player models. And seeing some new catch and tackle animations.

Don't get me wrong, there are still a ton of old ugly animations, but it does look better. Blocking and running game do look improved.

Like I said before, EA Access will be the deciding factor for me. But that decision will be easy to make if zone defence isn't adjusted by launch.

So disappointed they would do something like this. It would be fine if it was done on arcade or competitive, but this literally is the opposite of sim.

I have to believe Rex doesn't like this adjustment.
At this point I think it's near-impossible to try to assign any blame to guys like Rex on the dev team. The open personality and genuineness of his communication lead me to believe all he wants is to put the best product out for everybody, especially the sim crowd. He's never been ecstatic over things like Longshot (which I feel most of devs are a bit wafflely on due to absorption of resources), but rather he's an advocate for authenticity in Madden.

It doesn't make sense from a developer point of view to work so hard on developing these zone schemes one year and then the next completely retracting them. Which leaves the only logical answer to be a higher, out-of-touch power making that decision from some type of reception indicating the game was too difficult that way. And the easiest solution: dumb it down across the board. And that's terrible.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #67
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
At this point I think it's near-impossible to try to assign any blame to guys like Rex on the dev team. The open personality and genuineness of his communication lead me to believe all he wants is to put the best product out for everybody, especially the sim crowd. He's never been ecstatic over things like Longshot (which I feel most of devs are a bit wafflely on due to absorption of resources), but rather he's an advocate for authenticity in Madden.

It doesn't make sense from a developer point of view to work so hard on developing these zone schemes one year and then the next completely retracting them. Which leaves the only logical answer to be a higher, out-of-touch power making that decision from some type of reception indicating the game was too difficult that way. And the easiest solution: dumb it down across the board. And that's terrible.

Exactly. They even talked up the new zone coverage in a blog. Going back on all the design work they did to improve this aspect of the game has to be infuriating for Rex and Clint. Maybe I shouldn't assume that. But I know those guys are sim guys and I can't see them liking this.

This sounds like a decision from the higher ups, so that makes me think this won't get fixed. Unless Rex and the other sim guy devs can convince them to at least revert back to what they had for sim mode.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #68
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
There's got to be a ton of pressure from up high at EA to bring in new users, make it stick in order to capitalize on cashcow MUT, and all the free advertising and interest in pack opening videos on youtube, as well as the making sure they get big on the esports scene.

I'm pretty sure at the corporate level that is what the vision for this product is.
Makes me think the game isn't selling like they want it too so now they are getting desperate and trying anything to bring more people in. Maybe people are just getting tired of Madden after all these years and no real innovation in the game.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #69
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
Makes me think the game isn't selling like they want it too so now they are getting desperate and trying anything to bring more people in. Maybe people are just getting tired of Madden after all these years and no real innovation in the game.
I don't necessarily think that's the case, I think it's more that they don't want to miss the opportunity to capitalize on becoming a presence in esports and the youtube world, and the revenue streams those demographics present.

If I were to guess I'd say Madden's sales have probably been pretty similar year over year, and management for any company will always be targeting growth. We have a new CEO since Peter Moore moved to Liverpool FC, and I'm sure new CEO and co. has some new points of emphasis on how to go about growth.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 08-09-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #70
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme

i agree with you, seems thats where it came from, but that just begs the real question. What hope does madden have of being what it should be then? Like ever? Because its more and more clear the Suits dont really give a dang about football.

Those who want can get upset for me asking, thats cool. Its an honest question on point with quote above.Its a very real question .

I honestly wonder how much longer Rex and maybe even Clint will stay there if they work to improve game only to have suits keep telling them ,NERF IT.

after 16, Rex claimed they would not be watering it down in 17. 17 came and they watered it down right after launch due to crying. Now 18 they making them water it down before we even see gameplay and now we two weeks out . I mean, if i was Rex , id get tired of working hard to make it better to have some dillholes make me undo it and water my work down when im trying to improve it as it should be.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel

Last edited by howboutdat; 08-09-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #71
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

The suits only care about profits. Fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #72
Pro

OVR: 7

I buy madden every year but I feel like I'm being forced to play longshot for MUT characters and unlocks. COD finally woke up after losing a lot of fans to battlefield 1. As of now this game is madden 17 with dlc as rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »