Home

Zones defense issue

This is a discussion on Zones defense issue within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Zones defense issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I believe the day 1 release patch is already done and is getting approvals. Usually the 1st official patch is the first or second week of September.

But, maybe they can fix this in a tuner which is usually very quick, like a few days after release.
I read somewhere zones can't be fixed in a tuner update but will need a more comprehensive patch to be sorted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

Really, this is a bigger issue then zone defenses being/not being broken. Now it's a matter of trust. EA has these game changers fly out a try the game out and it was getting great reviews; then they go back and now the game is playing different. Now it looks like you played the guys you flew out and supported your game to the fans on social media and your lifelong fans.

Let's say now, that EA reports patching zones if needed, it can be taken out again later and we're stuck with the game. After you make a purchase they already make their money and now we're the ones getting screwed. Patches/tuners whichever one you want allow for too much room for error and mediocrity at times. The wifey works for a major software company and patches/updates are used to correct glitches or errors that made it past beta testers and hackers somehow before release. Glaring issues with defense which is 50% of sports is just ridiculous.

I'm not blaming Rex or anyone else in particular, but sometimes it seems marketing just wants to make these dumb-downed games for Johnny Casual. What happened to learning, practicing, and becoming skilled in something; like everything else we do in life. Guess, we're at point in time where working hard and earning s*** doesn't matter anymore (From beast mode to Durant mode). EA, I don't question your work ethic, but have some pride about what you put out man!

No trust, no bucks. Plain and simple.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I believe the day 1 release patch is already done and is getting approvals. Usually the 1st official patch is the first or second week of September.

But, maybe they can fix this in a tuner which is usually very quick, like a few days after release.

Rex has already stated that the current zone coverage issues are a part of the day one patch. Therefore, those issues will NOT be fixed at launch. This is per SimFootballCritic in a video podcast he did a couple of nights ago. He said that the patch fixing the issues will not be coming within a few days either, more than likely a couple of weeks.

If this isn't a reason to not buy at launch then idk what is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
I picked up on the "flats" and "Corner Route" zone issue after watching one of the videos and I recall that video was on 'All Pro' & 'Simulation'. The commentator specifically made the comment "See both X - flat - and B - Corner - were open. The zones don't cover flats or short corners that well" after the play.

Plus given that the zone and Statue AI QB has been seen and/or mentioned in nearly every Madden 18 video, I doubt that they won't be an issue on a particular mode or difficulty level. I mean if it's an issue on 'Simulation' mode , which is supposed to be for hard-core football fans, I would be shocked if the zones or AI QBs play better on other modes.

They did not want the game to be difficult for newcomers, so they tuned down the zone coverages across all play styles, which is literally the dumbest thing I've seen EA do in a long time. Arcade is for casuals so tune that style down. Leave Sim where it was. If newcomers can't handle Sim, go to arcade or get better. I'm so sick of that kind of a mindset where they try and cater the entire game to the less skilled players. Insane to me.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Yeah, but how many of these issues are on Play Now versus CFM? What exact settings are these people on YouTube using? This is Madden...we know that the coding has historically been an utter mish-mash. Unless someone shows their exact main menu and CFM settings within a video, I trust exactly 0% of the gameplay I am seeing...it has been far too easy in the past to inadvertently botch the gameplay by toggling one "user preference" setting.

What worries me is that people are jumping off of a cliff for no reason, tuning is being done based on pretty minimal sample sizes, and it is going to severely ruin the gameplay. It happened last year too; many of the same people posting here were strong advocates of "out of box" gameplay last year because patches began to eat away at the fabric of the game. Are we our own worst enemies?

If there ARE legit issues, then no doubt it needs to be fixed. But at least for me, I am making no judgments until I have the game in my hands and can see it for myself.

What videos are you watching where the game looks to be anything worth buying?? I'm constantly seeing the same routes coming open across all play styles which leads to Completion/Interception/Sack gameplay. I've seen several games with only two or three incompletions. The game is not in a good state right now and it will not be fixed until days after launch. Why anyone would go out and buy at launch is beyond me.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by War24
Really, this is a bigger issue then zone defenses being/not being broken. Now it's a matter of trust. EA has these game changers fly out a try the game out and it was getting great reviews; then they go back and now the game is playing different. Now it looks like you played the guys you flew out and supported your game to the fans on social media and your lifelong fans.

Let's say now, that EA reports patching zones if needed, it can be taken out again later and we're stuck with the game. After you make a purchase they already make their money and now we're the ones getting screwed. Patches/tuners whichever one you want allow for too much room for error and mediocrity at times. The wifey works for a major software company and patches/updates are used to correct glitches or errors that made it past beta testers and hackers somehow before release. Glaring issues with defense which is 50% of sports is just ridiculous.

I'm not blaming Rex or anyone else in particular, but sometimes it seems marketing just wants to make these dumb-downed games for Johnny Casual. What happened to learning, practicing, and becoming skilled in something; like everything else we do in life. Guess, we're at point in time where working hard and earning s*** doesn't matter anymore (From beast mode to Durant mode). EA, I don't question your work ethic, but have some pride about what you put out man!

No trust, no bucks. Plain and simple.
IMO there's one other factor which needs to be considered and I guess this is what Rex and EA are thinking of... the 30 or so folks (Gamechangers) who were flown to play the game are elite Madden players, i.e. I would wager they should be in the top 2000 or thereabouts out of 4-6 million Madden gamers out there. In nutshell these guys are 99.99 percentile or thereabouts and they are more likely than not to find things easy compared to your average madden gamer.

I think EA Gamechanger program should have a good mix of users across the spectrum - from madden gurus/elites to casual gamers... maybe they should have say 6-8 folks selected from OS, have a few guys who are top ranked madden players and/or have YT channels and a few random madden gamers to get more "realistic" feedback. This approach would also help EA tweak various modes (Arcade, Simulation, Competitive) and get appropriate feedback for each mode instead of bundling/jumbling everything into one.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
They did not want the game to be difficult for newcomers, so they tuned down the zone coverages across all play styles, which is literally the dumbest thing I've seen EA do in a long time. Arcade is for casuals so tune that style down. Leave Sim where it was. If newcomers can't handle Sim, go to arcade or get better. I'm so sick of that kind of a mindset where they try and cater the entire game to the less skilled players. Insane to me.

This is the first time they have introduced this feature and they are learning things as they go along. I don't expect the gameplay modes to work as we expect and it may take a couple of years before EA gets the gameplay balance right across these modes.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
This is the first time they have introduced this feature and they are learning things as they go along. I don't expect the gameplay modes to work as we expect and it may take a couple of years before EA gets the gameplay balance right across these modes.

If they are going to cater each game mode to fit lower skill players then what the **** is the point of having them?! Lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »