Home

Mobile CPU QBs actually a threat in M18?

This is a discussion on Mobile CPU QBs actually a threat in M18? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #33
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Mobile CPU QBs actually a threat in M18?

Yea I'm hoping there's a trait you can alter to at least have the option of making the game play how you want.

I know we'll have guys testing it on here.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I get what you are saying, but there are a bunch of former college players and at least one pro player on the development team.

The OL blocking has improved and so has the hb/fb blocking this year, along with downfield blocking.

They don't need new blood, they need to get rid of that legacy coding and maybe some of the suits that allow innovation from the developers.

You never know what kind of new blood you will get, maybe more a casual mode new blood for developers.
Roadman, i'm sorry, but being a former player is whole different ballgame. I'm a 'former player' and I had a very high football IQ as a player. But that only scratched the surface of when I became a Coach. And even as a position coach of several positions, that was still a different ball game to when I became a coordinator. Then scouting and recruiting college athletes opened yet another level of understanding.

As a player, most of the time you are just trying to learn what you can to be successful at your position. The really good or experienced players start to learn what the guy next to them does and what the guy opposite them on the other team does.

I have seen many 'former players' think they can just come right in and be a coach. Most quickly find out just how much is involved and burn out quickly.

The point is, a former player does NOT automatically mean they know enough about football to explain the nuances and details of the game to a bunch of coders and programmers so that they can sufficiently replicate what really occurs on the field. Former players know the "what", not necessarily the "Why" or "How". And very few know the what, why, and how of any position other than the one they 'played'.

**that of course doesn't mean anyone at EA doesn't have that total understanding of the game, but I would love to get one of them on the white board someday see how impressed I'd be.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #35
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by deu22ces
Roadman, i'm sorry, but being a former player is whole different ballgame. I'm a 'former player' and I had a very high football IQ as a player. But that only scratched the surface of when I became a Coach. And even as a position coach of several positions, that was still a different ball game to when I became a coordinator. Then scouting and recruiting college athletes opened yet another level of understanding.

As a player, most of the time you are just trying to learn what you can to be successful at your position. The really good or experienced players start to learn what the guy next to them does and what the guy opposite them on the other team does.

I have seen many 'former players' think they can just come right in and be a coach. Most quickly find out just how much is involved and burn out quickly.

The point is, a former player does NOT automatically mean they know enough about football to explain the nuances and details of the game to a bunch of coders and programmers so that they can sufficiently replicate what really occurs on the field. Former players know the "what", not necessarily the "Why" or "How". And very few know the what, why, and how of any position other than the one they 'played'.

**that of course doesn't mean anyone at EA doesn't have that total understanding of the game, but I would love to get one of them on the white board someday see how impressed I'd be.
Nah, I didn't go that deep with the developers to programmers. You are right on that note.

My overall point, why change what we have now.

Let's just get rid of Rex and Clint and replace them with what the suits and marketing want. lol

Let's hire people that cheer the 50 yd bomb TD every single play vs developers who are aiming for smarter AI in the near future. (Clint podcast)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Nah, I didn't go that deep with the developers to programmers. You are right on that note.

Let's just get rid of Rex and Clint and replace them with what the suits and marketing want. lol

Let's hire people that cheer the 50 yd bomb TD every single play vs developers who are aiming for smarter AI in the near future. (Clint podcast)
I don't think anybody is seriously saying fire the team. I always try to blame EA because I don't have the knowledge to start laying it at the feet of particular people. Some people love to blame the suits(the man) and some blame developers and programmers. The ones who put themselves or are made to put themselves out there as the face of the game are going to get much more of the bame than they deserve.

You can bring in additional talent though. Having consultants who are experts at what they do coming in could benefit the game. Knowing when you need help is a strength not a flaw.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:

oh, I get that. That wasn't my contention if you thought it was. Their hands are tied at some critical areas.

But the one thing I am more certain than anything, is that EA doesn't have enough people on hand that know what the game is supposed to look like or play like. There is a problem at the coding level and also at the quality control level. Whoever's responsibilities those are, change is needed. Some of the things that 'slip thru the cracks' are just astounding to me. I just can't believe for some of these things that someone, anyone, in that building NEVER saw it and said, "hey, that doesn't look right. what can we do to fix this before the public sees this? It will be embarrassing if we don't."

Whereas, I have the intuitive feeling it's more like, "let's see what the social media reaction to this is, and if it's a big enough deal, we'll look at fixing it." That may not be Rex's decision at all. Bear in mind I heard Rex say that the Execs didn't view the EA Play released video as a big deal b/c at the time, it 'only' had whatever thousands of views it had at the time. So there is some threshold that has to be met b4 EA considers a problem an actual problem.

Here's a promise: The day EA stops making a licensed game they claim 'simulates' the game of football, I will stop holding them to that standard. And the kicker is, I'm not even talking about detailed stuff, I'm talking about the basics of the game.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #38
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I blame the consumers who have pushed the game in this direction. Absolutely loathe them to be frank.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I blame the consumers who have pushed the game in this direction. Absolutely loathe them to be frank.
Yeah, I am kind of ashamed of myself because I am looking forward to playing a season on arcade as ryan shazier more than I am to sim franchise football. It just seems like franchise is going to be as frustrating as last year.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 AM   #40
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by deu22ces
oh, I get that. That wasn't my contention if you thought it was. Their hands are tied at some critical areas.

But the one thing I am more certain than anything, is that EA doesn't have enough people on hand that know what the game is supposed to look like or play like. There is a problem at the coding level and also at the quality control level. Whoever's responsibilities those are, change is needed. Some of the things that 'slip thru the cracks' are just astounding to me. I just can't believe for some of these things that someone, anyone, in that building NEVER saw it and said, "hey, that doesn't look right. what can we do to fix this before the public sees this? It will be embarrassing if we don't."

Whereas, I have the intuitive feeling it's more like, "let's see what the social media reaction to this is, and if it's a big enough deal, we'll look at fixing it." That may not be Rex's decision at all. Bear in mind I heard Rex say that the Execs didn't view the EA Play released video as a big deal b/c at the time, it 'only' had whatever thousands of views it had at the time. So there is some threshold that has to be met b4 EA considers a problem an actual problem.

Here's a promise: The day EA stops making a licensed game they claim 'simulates' the game of football, I will stop holding them to that standard. And the kicker is, I'm not even talking about detailed stuff, I'm talking about the basics of the game.
Nah, your good, I know I quoted you, but I was referencing the OP that I quoted who said they need new blood at the helm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »