Home

Clint Oldenburg Talks Blocking, Mechanics, and "Broken" Zones (T4Verts)

This is a discussion on Clint Oldenburg Talks Blocking, Mechanics, and "Broken" Zones (T4Verts) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #57
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Clint Oldenburg Talks Blocking, Mechanics, and "Broken" Zones (T4Verts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
I'm not sure man to man has been a problem. I've actually seen some good man coverage in recent videos. However, Zone coverages are messed up. There's no denying that. Because of that, games at launch will be complete shootouts. I've seen nothing that suggests the game should be purchased when it comes out and the only people that seem to be getting it are the "I'm buying because I always do" crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man to man has ALWAYS been a problem. Legacy issue... Drags, outs, curls, corners, C routes, etc and it didn't matter who was guarding them or their ratings. Last year was best its been and that isn't saying much. But thats a whole different story... I was just making a point as with conflicting videos its hard to say till I play in this scenario...

I agree on the rest of your post though! It's clearly obvious with zones.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #58
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

For example:

Show me a play in this video where the zones defense is broken. I tried and couldn't find it but I probably missed it.

The plays at 5:20 and 5:31 weren't a zone defense issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAg5CPvrssk

Last edited by extremeskins04; 08-12-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #59
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I agree with everyone as I have played every madden since the 1st one ever made. We know the legacy issues that have gone on. You can see a lot from just watching videos.

However, to play devils advocate and I am just as guilty here as I have seen conflicting things regarding man to man. At 1st I saw the same ole man to man in videos and 5 yards of separation on C routes, out routes etc. Then I saw 2 videos with incredible man defense on those routes and it was night and day. Now I don't know why that is as is it because of the gameplay settings or difficulty or both? So, In this case I will need to play it and test it before I really know if it's fixed or not. That being said it's not hard to see in all videos zone is screwy! LOL

To be perfectly fair, I think you're right. And, I was right there watching the first few videos and shouting from the top of the mountain, 'the zones are broken!!! The middle of the field is wide open on EVERY play!!!! WTF???!!!'. U know?

But, I've now watched more vids, different modes, comp, sim, and arcade, and actually, I have a feeling now it might not really be an issue. U ever notice when u play a CFM game, often your first 2 drives are kind of easy? And, then sometimes the game maybe picks up on your playcalls and adjustments seem to happen? I mean, I know the AI is not amazing, but I've always felt this on the first couple of drives of a game. So, it's quite possible that some of the poor D play we're seeing are early in the game, or just certain plays happened to open up. So, I'm actually willing to give benefit of the doubt now.

I think I'll concentrate on a quick CFM setup with ea access and play a reg season game or 2 and see how it feels. That's the best way I'll know.

Because, seriously, after watching some more videos lately, I like what I'm seeing overall. I'm actually seeing better QB scramble play. The only one who stands out as an awful statue was really Brady. Lol. Which is funny, because he's the GOAT and everything. But, they may have made him too much of a pocket passer to where he no longer moves.

And, I'm seeing some good D from the dolphins video somewhere. So, I'm starting to see a little bit of everything. No use getting totally worked up about this until we do play it. So, maybe Clint is right.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #60
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Man to man has ALWAYS been a problem. Legacy issue... Drags, outs, curls, corners, C routes, etc and it didn't matter who was guarding them or their ratings. Last year was best its been and that isn't saying much. But thats a whole different story... I was just making a point as with conflicting videos its hard to say till I play in this scenario...

I agree on the rest of your post though! It's clearly obvious with zones.

Oh yes that's for sure. I meant hadn't been a problem so far in Madden 18. Last year was good early on and then terrible towards the end if I'm not mistaken.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #61
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
For example:

Show me a play in this video where the zones defense is broken. I tried and couldn't find it but I probably missed it.

The plays at 5:20 and 5:31 weren't a zone defense issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAg5CPvrssk

When I get a chance tonight/tomorrow I'll give the video a complete look with some notes. I've seen previous videos in a PvP or P vs. CPU match where both QB's combined for around 85% passing. Also looking at iMaveriq's game from a few nights ago where just about every corner route he threw was a completion.

Also, just to throw it out there, im not one of those people that nitpicks every last thing just to have something to complain about. I know I've been ranting a bit in the last couple of days, but it's because I WANT this game to be good. My hype level was through the roof and I kept waiting for that "too good to be true moment" and I feel like it's finally happened.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #62
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
Didn't Rex say in a tweet that he wants feedback and testing on this? Or did he come out and say they were going to patch it? From what I understood, Rex said "Don't worry guys I got this", and then showed some graph that had inconclusive data on it, and then said we needed to test it and provide feedback.

Which goes in line with what Clint said in T4VERTS interview in this very thread about people overreacting and needing more testing done before they correct it.

Again, I am only talking about the Zone defense issue. I know there are many other glaring legacy gameplay issues that we can see from videos.

All I remember hearing from SimFootballCritic is that Rex stated that they toned back the defense in light of the newcomers they figured to get from Longshot mode and that the current build was part of the day one patch. So what we are seeing is what we are getting at launch. He also said that the problem wasn't something that could be fixed with a tuner, and that a patch wouldn't be coming "too soon" but it would be coming.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #63
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
To be perfectly fair, I think you're right. And, I was right there watching the first few videos and shouting from the top of the mountain, 'the zones are broken!!! The middle of the field is wide open on EVERY play!!!! WTF???!!!'. U know?

But, I've now watched more vids, different modes, comp, sim, and arcade, and actually, I have a feeling now it might not really be an issue. U ever notice when u play a CFM game, often your first 2 drives are kind of easy? And, then sometimes the game maybe picks up on your playcalls and adjustments seem to happen? I mean, I know the AI is not amazing, but I've always felt this on the first couple of drives of a game. So, it's quite possible that some of the poor D play we're seeing are early in the game, or just certain plays happened to open up. So, I'm actually willing to give benefit of the doubt now.

I think I'll concentrate on a quick CFM setup with ea access and play a reg season game or 2 and see how it feels. That's the best way I'll know.

Because, seriously, after watching some more videos lately, I like what I'm seeing overall. I'm actually seeing better QB scramble play. The only one who stands out as an awful statue was really Brady. Lol. Which is funny, because he's the GOAT and everything. But, they may have made him too much of a pocket passer to where he no longer moves.

And, I'm seeing some good D from the dolphins video somewhere. So, I'm starting to see a little bit of everything. No use getting totally worked up about this until we do play it. So, maybe Clint is right.

I agree, and have to admit, the videos of game play has been getting better and better. The latest I have seen of M2M coverage is great.

I think "C" routes may still be difficult, BUT I already know I can stop them with Cover 3 Sky, at least in M17.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #64
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
All I remember hearing from SimFootballCritic is that Rex stated that they toned back the defense in light of the newcomers they figured to get from Longshot mode and that the current build was part of the day one patch. So what we are seeing is what we are getting at launch. He also said that the problem wasn't something that could be fixed with a tuner, and that a patch wouldn't be coming "too soon" but it would be coming.

Yea I was at Sim's podcast and remember that. Rex and Clint aren't on the same page I don't believe. I just hope the patch comes in the first or 2nd week of September like it has been coming the past years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »