Home

Draft pick names in game commentary

This is a discussion on Draft pick names in game commentary within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Draft pick names in game commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplatypus
While there are a few problems with the way draft pick audio has been implemented, this is by far the best (and only) improvement that the Madden series has ever done as far as expanding in game audio for Franchise mode. I hope that they are able to continue to expand on this in the future because it's definitely a step forward for the series.
Actually there was another advancement made this year. You will hear reference to other games around the league during games. So along with the score ticker there will be comments made about some of those scores and games.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #18
Just started!

Does the announcers stop saying a drafted players last name if I edit his stats/attributes/shoes? Or is it only if I edit his name?
Can someone test this? Can't wait till friday...
Old 08-28-2017, 01:47 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Here is what I have gathered based on the little bit of information on the web regarding Madden 18 audio and an extensive amount time I have spent editing Madden rosters in the editor for last gen Madden's.

Create a players, edited players, edited draft picks and draft picks that don't have a current NFL players last name do not have audio. Draft picks with common audio and/or a current NFL players last name should have audio. Draft picks with audio will only have their last names said aloud but will never have their first names announced.

There are two types of audio attached to players. Let's call them basic and advanced. The basic audio is attached to virtually every player in the game and allows the announcers to identify the player and say their last name in game. It looks like the Devs figured out a way for incoming draft picks to be assigned the basic audio of common names and/or players that have a current NFL players last name. I don't know how many draft prospects they have attached this to but I'd be very surprised if it was every player in the NFL that the current announcing team says in game. If you edit any player or draft prospect's first or last name, you will lose the basic audio attached to them.

The advanced audio is player specific audio that recognizes a particular player. This is attached to star players, former stars, current and former first round picks and household name players for the most part. The advanced audio will say the first and last name of a player and will generally go into more detail about that individual player. Advanced audio is not given to incoming draft picks.

Sometimes the advanced audio is even said when a well known QB and Receiver tandem hook up on a play. (Brady/Gronk, Roethlisberger/Antonio Brown or Rivers/Gates would be some likely candidates.) The advanced audio stays with a player even if you edit their name although you can get the announcers not to say most or any of the advanced audio by changing the player to a different position most of the time. So if you change Adrian Peterson's position to a guard, you shouldn't hear the announcers mention him again. If you switch him to QB, they will still say "Adrian Peterson lined up in the backfield."

I've also seen people mention that some of the draft picks have a Hall of Famer's name mentioned. This is basically a bug. All of the players have something called a Player Id. Every player is assigned a Player Id that we can't see in game. The advanced audio is attached to the Player Id. The incoming draft classes and create a players are assigned a Player Id when they come into your roster or franchise and are assigned the lowest unused Player Id number. Many of the legends are also assigned a low Player Id number. Since the legend is coded into the game but isn't actually on your roster or in your franchise, the game assigns them a Player Id that is actually one that belongs to a Hall of Famer. This is why you hear the announcer refer to your drafted player as Ed Too Tall Jones or Jack Youngblood in game.

While there are a few problems with the way draft pick audio has been implemented, this is by far the best (and only) improvement that the Madden series has ever done as far as expanding in game audio for Franchise mode. I hope that they are able to continue to expand on this in the future because it's definitely a step forward for the series.
Great info, I just want to follow up on something you wrote. You said if you alter even the first name of any draft pick (even though there's never any audio attached to the first name) it will cancel any chance of the Commentators saying the last name. I found a rookie named Robert Allen, and I want to change it to Josh Allan in the hopes that I'll recruit the Wyoming QB with his Allan commentary still working after the name edit- you think that will cancel the audio?
Old 08-28-2017, 03:15 AM   #20
Rookie

rplatypus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizza23
Great info, I just want to follow up on something you wrote. You said if you alter even the first name of any draft pick (even though there's never any audio attached to the first name) it will cancel any chance of the Commentators saying the last name. I found a rookie named Robert Allen, and I want to change it to Josh Allan in the hopes that I'll recruit the Wyoming QB with his Allan commentary still working after the name edit- you think that will cancel the audio?
You will lose audio if you edit the first or last name of anybody in game, whether it's draft picks or roster players. It doesn't matter if it's in CFM or the main menu. You can edit anything else and it will not affect the audio.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #21
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

I love to see how this whole thing works. I always wondered do they sit and record thousands of names?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #22
MVP

NFCastle's Arena

OVR: 17

Will the issue of a legend player ID being assigned to a rookie be fixable by editing the name? In Madden 17 when they called your player by one of the Legends names editing the name itself didn't make a difference

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 1

madden 08 on pc, my superstar created hb had a common name and the commentators used it
ah the good old days
Old 09-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #24
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
You will lose audio if you edit the first or last name of anybody in game, whether it's draft picks or roster players. It doesn't matter if it's in CFM or the main menu. You can edit anything else and it will not affect the audio.
Can you edit it back and regain the audio?

I edited a current rookie's name and the commentary was still calling him by his original name. I changed Kevin King's name and when I grabbed an INT with him I heard the announcers say King. So maybe editing it back for CFM drafted players fixes it?

Last edited by Devaster; 09-25-2017 at 10:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »