Home

Madden on Xbox One X

This is a discussion on Madden on Xbox One X within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: Madden on Xbox One X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
No, you're absolutely right. These new systems aren't completely new interations, they are basically updates.

Eventually we will get a PS5 and Xbox 4 but for now we got patches. Impressive Patches though. I want a X1X even though some have side it isn't really necessary. Moreso , I really want a 4k TV.

This is going to be a expensive decision to make

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cheddabob is right, when you are ready to get a 4K tv don't settle for one without HDR or Dolby Vision. HDR is more widely used (I believe Dolby Vision is currently a proprietary thing for now, or something like that, so not every 4K movie uses it yet), but definitely spend the extra for the HDR.

I have a 65" Samsung 4K with HDR, and while the 4K looks nice the HDR is mind blowing. Truly spectacular. Once EA patches in HDR to Madden 18, the new lighting system will POP.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Born in '82, 49er Faithful since 1986!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #26
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
That's definitely possible and just slower speed? When they announced the xbox one X and PS4 pro versions of madden, I thought it would just be improved graphics. But when I compare the EA play footage w/ what we have now, I see better gameplay overall. From logic, to animations, to locomotion.
We saw that with the console transition too, similar graphics but the AI was much better because it used the overhead to increase the frequency it was checking if it should change a blocking assignment, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
Unfortunately the older systems will hold the newer systems back.

I've seen what this will look like playing BF1. This game launched and was just as beautiful online as it were playing campaign mode. Dice released a patch shortly after digital foundry did a story concerning advantages of the Pro version over the OG Ps4.

The game looks like crap now and plays like crap. There's more to it sure, but play the campaign and then pop in to multiplayer and then wonder what use to be...
Last I read only Sony has a mandate for multiplayer parity.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/0...oject-scorpio/

Seems to be up to the developer.

The big difference here is in maybe 4-5 years there will be another Xbox and another 4-5 years after that, all backward (and to some degree, forward) compatible. Remains to be seen how well that's executed, but Sony's intentions thus far seem to be limited to PS4/PS4 Pro w/ no stated similar plans for backward compatibility going forward.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 9

It's too tough to tell from gifs and YouTube videos. Gifs are almost definitely not 60fps and if your computer monitor is not 60hz, then 60fps video will look odd on it.

We don't have any definitive video of the game running on Xbox One X or PS4 Pro as far as I know, and exported/recorded gameplay can always be compressed or captured at a different resolution and framerate, so it's tough to estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious how you know it will play the same on all consoles.
It's the same game, but it renders at a different resolution. For an analogy, on your computer, open up Microsoft Word. Type some words into it. Then, go to your desktop, right click, and select 'Display Settings,' go to Resolution, and turn your resolution down from whatever it is to something different. Now, open up Microsoft Word again. Type some more stuff. Microsoft Word hasn't changed, but your PC is outputting the video at a different resolution. The "Bold" or "Italics" icons might look larger, they might be fuzzier, or the contrast might be worse, but it's still the same application.

The DLine will not play differently or RBs will not have more weight to them. It's the same game. I'm sure we'll have some conspiratorial reports of QB Catchup logic on the Xbox One X but not Xbox One, or the offensive line effectively blocking on the PS4, but missing assignments on PS4 Pro, but those are going to be conspiratorial anecdotes without anything of substance behind them. I'm not looking forward to the Sliders threads this year, where one guy will swear that if you delete your franchise, restart it on Xbox One, and then load it into Xbox One X, and then delete the HDR patch, and go back to Xbox One, and then stand on your head and say "Cortana, Record That," that suddenly the Defensive Awareness sliders will magically work exactly as expected... but... it's probably not true.

NOW...... What kind of makes this confusing is that clock speed can affect games, but this typically does not happen with modern games and modern architecture. This is why sometimes you might play a retro emulated game on your PC and swear that a section that was really easy when you were a kid is now impossible, and you might think "Damn, I've gotten a lot worse at this..." Well, probably not, the speed of certain elements of the game are attached to the tick rate of your processor. There are some emulated games that become impossible because components of the game require a specific clock speed. This is also why a lot of Genesis games or certain FX-chip games from SNES get really screwed up when emulated on super fast new computers... Things like the parallax scrolling of backgrounds in a game like Castlevania might be tied to the relative clock speed, and so now the background ends up flying by at a super-fast speed, when you swear as a kid, that wasn't the case.

Here's an example of a 16-bit game running on emulation:

On the left is the original, on the right is the emulated version. Both look fine, both look to play fine at first glance... except one detail is missing. On the left, there is a shadow beneath the plane, on the right, no shadow. So you might think, "Well who cares, it's a crappy looking shadow?" Well, in that game, the shadow gave you an indication of when to drop your bombs and missiles on the map, and without that shadow, the game becomes extremely difficult to judge where you are in relation to ground targets. The shadow is almost impossible to render in a resource intensive way with software because of the technique that the developers used to render it 20+ years ago on obviously inferior hardware to what we have today.

This is only when you're emulating different architecture. An SNES or genesis was not running x86 CPU architecture, so the CPU architecture has to be emulated. Modern videogames are all made on the same instruction language (or, well, compiled to that language...) as the CPU that they're going to run on, which is why you can play Portal on your 15-year-old PC or your blazing fast 2017 gaming rig, and it's still the same game (albeit maybe a higher resolution, better framerate, etc).

Framerate can affect gameplay and even the TV you choose can affect gameplay. Those quick time event minigames in Madden (like the DE swim move) are much more difficult to time correctly on a TV with a low refresh rate, or on a TV running in 'Cinema Mode,' because there is latency between the console interpretting your console input and the TV showing you the video. It's in milleseconds so it might not be perceptive for most things, but when it comes to a very precise QTE, it can be visible.

Now, today, Madden runs at 60FPS on every console (PS4, X1, PS4 Pro, X1X), but there could be more slight dips on vanilla PS4 or X1 than on the Pro-iterations... Though there likely aren't, but there theoretically could be. In that way you could argue the gameplay could be different, but it would technically be your perception of the gameplay that is different, not that the gameplay itself is different.

Most developers are fairly adept at making sure that hardware differences do not affect gameplay, especially in multiplayer games. One benefit of Frostbite engine is that this is all handled by the engine, and so Madden gets it "for free" when using Frostbite, so the gameplay will be identical, though your perception of the gameplay -- admittedly -- could be different from the "Pro" console to the vanilla console.

Last edited by Rebel10; 08-16-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #28
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel10
It's too tough to tell from gifs and YouTube videos. Gifs are almost definitely not 60fps and if your computer monitor is not 60hz, then 60fps video will look odd on it.

We don't have any definitive video of the game running on Xbox One X or PS4 Pro as far as I know, and exported/recorded gameplay can always be compressed or captured at a different resolution and framerate, so it's tough to estimate.
Yep, youtube will fool ya.

I see now they are implementing more 4K@60, but be aware there are tubers putting up 4k titles but shoot in 1080p. Which is BS.

Definitely hit the settings buttons and pull up the telemetry options to see the real deal.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #29
MVP

XxKnicksRules215xX's Arena

OVR: 0

What If they told u that the ea play was also the Xbox one s not the newer system.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsmallville
Cheddabob is right, when you are ready to get a 4K tv don't settle for one without HDR or Dolby Vision. HDR is more widely used (I believe Dolby Vision is currently a proprietary thing for now, or something like that, so not every 4K movie uses it yet), but definitely spend the extra for the HDR.

I have a 65" Samsung 4K with HDR, and while the 4K looks nice the HDR is mind blowing. Truly spectacular. Once EA patches in HDR to Madden 18, the new lighting system will POP.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I second this. I have a 65" Samsung 4K w/HDR and as said above, the 4K is nice but the real deal is the HDR that makes the games look spectacular.

Also, just a note, my wife says the same thing. It's the HDR, not the 4K aspect to these games that matters more.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #31
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I second this. I have a 65" Samsung 4K w/HDR and as said above, the 4K is nice but the real deal is the HDR that makes the games look spectacular.

Also, just a note, my wife says the same thing. It's the HDR, not the 4K aspect to these games that matters more.
Yep 4K without HDR is like a Mercedes Benz with hub caps.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #32
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxKnicksRules215xX
What If they told u that the ea play was also the Xbox one s not the newer system.
That was my impression, there was heavy Xbox One X branding but I thought EA Play was all on One S hardware.

Different builds though, absolutely.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »