Home

Do you still break out past Madden games?

This is a discussion on Do you still break out past Madden games? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Do you still break out past Madden games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
Never. I'll probably uninstall Madden 17 today and never look back.
sold on 18 eh?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #10
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejer
Yeah every so often I dust off my old PS2 (yeah I kept it, just for one game), and break out my Madden 06. It's sad how many unbroken aspects of the old Maddens got "fixed" out of the game.

I actually liked 06 better than 05 because it ironed out any of the franchise bugs, and it had the first and best version of Superstar Mode (before it went through the "streamlining" process).
I'm amazed how well 06 plays. I bought a ps2 last year for that reason so I could play that again. Is that the year before 2k7 was released?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #11
Rookie

Reejer's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
I'm amazed how well 06 plays. I bought a ps2 last year for that reason so I could play that again. Is that the year before 2k7 was released?
I'm pretty sure that 2K5 came out the same year as Madden 06. From what I remember the 2K series used the actual years that the title launched. So I think that 2K7 came out in 2007 and Madden 06 came put in 2005. But I could be wrong because my memory is crap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejer
I'm pretty sure that 2K5 came out the same year as Madden 06. From what I remember the 2K series used the actual years that the title launched. So I think that 2K7 came out in 2007 and Madden 06 came put in 2005. But I could be wrong because my memory is crap.
2k5 released july 2004
madden 2005 released august 2004
Old 08-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

I keep going back to an old Madden 09 Xbox franchise save every year. Some stuff hasn't aged well but it feels more organic and alive than recent CFM modes.

From what I remember Josh Looman was in charge of the last few franchise modes on the PS2/Xbox and it showed. They really nailed progression and regression on the OG Xbox's 09.

Everything seemed to tie into how a player performed in games versus who the player could be. Progression happened if a player performed well during the year, and especially if they played on a successful team. Drafted players eventually landed "bust" attributes if they underperformed, while players developing on a consistently successful team would progress much quicker.

There was also an art to hiring coaches. It was almost like modern day OOTP where you needed to find a certain coach in order for your team to play to its full potential. Your coaching philosophy played a lot into it as well if you chose to sim, and I spent a long time tinkering with the sliders in the Philosophy menu to get things right. Sometimes it ended up getting my team into the playoffs after a slow start.

Those old Franchise modes rivalled OOTP in their depth, which can only be said for one or two gameplay-based career modes today.

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 08-17-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Heck no, not with the BB deal.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #15
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
2k5 released july 2004
madden 2005 released august 2004
I think I really enjoyed Madden 05 the best. I might have to break out 06 to see which one I loved the most. I think I was thinking of NFL 2k5, not 2k7. My bad. What I do remember both games were awesome that year. I loved having 2 football games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Wasn't Madden '09 the one where there wouldn't be any free agents at certain positions? I remember needing either a kicker or punter, went to the free agency section, only to find zero kickers or punters available to sign. I didn't play much Madden '09 because HC'09 ruled my life for a year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »