Home

Do you still break out past Madden games?

This is a discussion on Do you still break out past Madden games? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #25
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Do you still break out past Madden games?

I was playing 2k5 and updating rosters until'10 brought me back.Great game and '12 was the one spent countless hours on. Head Coach '09 was excellent also.

If I were to play an older version it would be '08 for the PC. As far as current gen I like '16 more than '17 because the qb AI was better and sliders weren't so dysfunctional.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
sold on 18 eh?
Pretty much. Feels like 17 with some really nice upgrades.

To be honest, though, if I didn't like the game, I'm much more likely to just wait till next year and play something else. Old sports games are games I'm done with.

Hell, I don't play many old games, at all. Can't stand spending negative energy on something I love. Sitting there playing a game, wishing my new game was like this, sounds like torture.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #27
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
Pretty much. Feels like 17 with some really nice upgrades.

To be honest, though, if I didn't like the game, I'm much more likely to just wait till next year and play something else. Old sports games are games I'm done with.

Hell, I don't play many old games, at all. Can't stand spending negative energy on something I love. Sitting there playing a game, wishing my new game was like this, sounds like torture.
There's some things special about playing with older rosters and going back to older mechanics. Each madden had a personality. And even madden from 10 Years ago is still a pretty in depth game of football

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #28
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
There's some things special about playing with older rosters and going back to older mechanics. Each madden had a personality. And even madden from 10 Years ago is still a pretty in depth game of football

Yup. That's also why I like 13, actually. Falcons have Turner when he was good, experienced but young Ryan, white in prime, young Julio, and Tony G. Lol. I LOVED that team. Then, they went directly in the crapper!! I felt so bad for Tony that final season at 4-12. Couldn't believe it got that bad. But yeah, I love Falcons roster in 13.

And, I ended up plugging in those sliders today. I still got my 360 hooked up, but rarely play old games. I wanted to see what it felt like.

I'm telling u, it's totally enjoyable! Lol. And, a couple things that I think people didn't appreciate enough about 13, and I'll still never understand why. Maybe, u had to mess with sliders or something. Maybe, the default setup just didn't get it done. Idk, but, overall, I'm digging it. What's unique about 13 is:

1. Absolutely 100% dynamic play.
2. Every player does their own thing. They're not really 'connected' to each other' as much as current versions feel like.
3. Much less tethered feel to passing.
4. Physics, pure physics.

Idk if u play FIFA, but of course, that 13 was almost a straight drop of FIFA engine in madden. Madden team must've had to incorporate football logic, of course. But, otherwise, its straight up FIFA players running around and doing their thing. I, again, compare this to the canned animation approach of almost all madden games. We now have a mix in 18 that looks pretty good. But, again, 13 was just straight physics. People run into each other and BANG! Whatever happens happens. This comes with some glitches, of course, but honestly, it 'feels' so much better, imo.

And, with the WR/CB interactions we have now, those are canned, u know? The ball is up there, the players get near the ball, and then an animation triggers for all that shows the result of the calculation. A catch, INT, swat, etc. but, ultimately, some animation is 'triggered'. This doesn't happen at all in 13. That's what's so great. My WR goes up for the ball and the defender goes up for the ball and when we meet, something happens. The something doesn't feel scripted. I've already seen in the game I played today on 13 some passes that were nearly caught, but swatted by D. I've seen some sneaky catches in between defenders. I see it all. And, again, it's just the absolute uniqueness of every ind player. They're all doing their own thing.

And, for those that don't like the current safety play in madden, I swear, in 13 with those sliders, safeties are reacting the ball being thrown and trying to get there. Idk, to each his own for the people that didn't like 13, and yes, the franchise was bad, I admit that. But, for me, the gameplay of 13 will forever be unique in 'madden lore,' u know?

And, it kills me that they instantly went a different route. I think they could've advanced and tweaked the physics engine more moving forward. But, they went towards a more canned animation approach I think specifically tied to their ideas for WR/CB interactions. So, it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #29
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

For me, once a new version of any sports game comes out, I can't go back and play an older version even if I hate the new one. There are always a few new things in the current version that make any previous one unplayable for me.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #30
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Yup. That's also why I like 13, actually. Falcons have Turner when he was good, experienced but young Ryan, white in prime, young Julio, and Tony G. Lol. I LOVED that team. Then, they went directly in the crapper!! I felt so bad for Tony that final season at 4-12. Couldn't believe it got that bad. But yeah, I love Falcons roster in 13.

And, I ended up plugging in those sliders today. I still got my 360 hooked up, but rarely play old games. I wanted to see what it felt like.

I'm telling u, it's totally enjoyable! Lol. And, a couple things that I think people didn't appreciate enough about 13, and I'll still never understand why. Maybe, u had to mess with sliders or something. Maybe, the default setup just didn't get it done. Idk, but, overall, I'm digging it. What's unique about 13 is:

1. Absolutely 100% dynamic play.
2. Every player does their own thing. They're not really 'connected' to each other' as much as current versions feel like.
3. Much less tethered feel to passing.
4. Physics, pure physics.

Idk if u play FIFA, but of course, that 13 was almost a straight drop of FIFA engine in madden. Madden team must've had to incorporate football logic, of course. But, otherwise, its straight up FIFA players running around and doing their thing. I, again, compare this to the canned animation approach of almost all madden games. We now have a mix in 18 that looks pretty good. But, again, 13 was just straight physics. People run into each other and BANG! Whatever happens happens. This comes with some glitches, of course, but honestly, it 'feels' so much better, imo.

And, with the WR/CB interactions we have now, those are canned, u know? The ball is up there, the players get near the ball, and then an animation triggers for all that shows the result of the calculation. A catch, INT, swat, etc. but, ultimately, some animation is 'triggered'. This doesn't happen at all in 13. That's what's so great. My WR goes up for the ball and the defender goes up for the ball and when we meet, something happens. The something doesn't feel scripted. I've already seen in the game I played today on 13 some passes that were nearly caught, but swatted by D. I've seen some sneaky catches in between defenders. I see it all. And, again, it's just the absolute uniqueness of every ind player. They're all doing their own thing.

And, for those that don't like the current safety play in madden, I swear, in 13 with those sliders, safeties are reacting the ball being thrown and trying to get there. Idk, to each his own for the people that didn't like 13, and yes, the franchise was bad, I admit that. But, for me, the gameplay of 13 will forever be unique in 'madden lore,' u know?

And, it kills me that they instantly went a different route. I think they could've advanced and tweaked the physics engine more moving forward. But, they went towards a more canned animation approach I think specifically tied to their ideas for WR/CB interactions. So, it is what it is.

Great input here . I need to see13 again. I think at the time I was blind due to. Too much of Call of Duty

Old 08-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #31
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Great input here . I need to see13 again. I think at the time I was blind due to. Too much of Call of Duty

The only slider that I'd change from that regular post is any kicking accuracy. I have it at 14, I think. I must've been testing things, because there's no way they could've made an update that I didn't get, but anyways, the CPU and I both missed several kicks including xtra points. Lol. The ball just dinks off the ground. So, just put that at 50 if u play with them.

I actually ended up paying a 15 min with 16s acc clock to get a full game in. I lost with atl to KC 28-21. Pass D is either harder, or my DBs are actually a little weak. Grimes was injured. McNabb threw darts on me, but again, I think it's my pass D. But he threw for 380, I think. I tied the game with a nice drive late to Tony G. I attached the video because it shows the good and bad of 13. Lol. The physics kick in, a nice catch is made, he turns to the end zone, and HOLY COW!! It's a wild rodeo. Lol. But, honestly, I love seeing it because the game is just reacting to its env. It's alive, u know. It's def not canned animation on this vid. Lol. I hope not, anyways.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4chdjGkNbPI

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #32
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Do you still break out past Madden games?

I was on Madden '08 PC until 9 months ago, thanks to the mods and old-school rosters.

I toyed with '04, '05 and '07 but it's just not the same. Too much customization with '08.

I bought '12, '15 and '17... Just not enough editability, poor franchise, and gameplay isn't great as far as I'm concerned, although '17 can stand with any version I've played.

I'd like to have something to fill my football fix.. but there's something right now.. indifference.. apathy.. not sure what I'm feeling. A little bit towards the NFL in general as well.

I hope in the next 5 years EA makes another Madden worth my time. I do miss skipping work on release day, and basically wasting the whole week. But if it never gets back there, I'll still look back fondly on what that WAS for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 08-17-2017 at 10:08 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »