Home

Where are you looking on the field when you are playing QB?

This is a discussion on Where are you looking on the field when you are playing QB? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2017, 08:20 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Where are you looking on the field when you are playing QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I think he's referring to the fact that it's very difficult to tell in the game when someone has subbed in on defense. If they bring in a 3rd corner in place of a LB, it's really tough to tell unless they have a piece of equipment that makes them easy to spot.
It's not tough to tell, just have to look at where they are lined up. A DB will be lined up either as a safety, or opposite a receiver.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:33 PM   #50
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm not great at QB, but what I try to do is see where the Safeties are lined up presnap. See if there are two-high, single-high, or none (safety lined up over man, showing CB blitz).

At the snap I check the linebackers, see if any rush, drop, or stay in the box. After that I look at my receivers. Pre-snap I try to get an idea which one will be my hot read in case of a blitz. Seeing how the safeties and linebackers move post snap I try to identify which receiver will be open first.

Unfortunately, I'm not great at QB. So I tend to stare down a receiver waiting for him to get open, only to get sacked. . Oh well.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:42 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I think he's referring to the fact that it's very difficult to tell in the game when someone has subbed in on defense. If they bring in a 3rd corner in place of a LB, it's really tough to tell unless they have a piece of equipment that makes them easy to spot.
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Was my response to this question earlier in the thread not helpful?
I don't know if maybe you missed it or not.
As @reyes mentioned my question was more about how to differentiate between DBs and LBs/DEs on the field. In case a LB subbed by a DB how can you tell? Coz if I know there's an additional DB I can audible into a run.

E.g., while I'm on defense I can see the personnel on offense (3WR 1TE, or 2WR 2TE etc.). I was wondering whether there was an easy way to see the or tell the same info for defense?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2017, 01:42 AM   #52
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
As @reyes mentioned my question was more about how to differentiate between DBs and LBs/DEs on the field. In case a LB subbed by a DB how can you tell? Coz if I know there's an additional DB I can audible into a run.

E.g., while I'm on defense I can see the personnel on offense (3WR 1TE, or 2WR 2TE etc.). I was wondering whether there was an easy way to see the or tell the same info for defense?
You have to read the defense. Position, stance, number, body stance. These should help key you in.

Reason why you dont see defensive personnel is because it reacts to the offensive peronnel. You are the QB, you have to read the defense.

Generally DBs will line up over WRs or outside the box. Outaide of that it's up to you. For the most part it's easy to identify the DBs.

Now, DL from L.B can be harder.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #53
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
This!

I took a closer look in practice mode, if you look closely at their stance it will tell you what position they are. If you come out 3 wide vs a 3-4 team in their base package, you'll see a LB in a pass rushing stance line up opposite your 3rd receiver. I wish you could just click a button and see the name of everyone on the field for the defense
Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I took a closer look in practice mode, if you look closely at their stance it will tell you what position they are. If you come out 3 wide vs a 3-4 team in their base package, you'll see a LB in a pass rushing stance line up opposite your 3rd receiver. I wish you could just click a button and see the name of everyone on the field for the defense
That or there could be an optional text icon on top of player stating "DB", "LB" or "DL". It would be easier for folks like me who really struggle with this kind of stuff. The more advanced players may not need to turn on the player position icon. I never gave much thought to the stance but will do so from now on.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #55
Rookie

Qrashman's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Each pass I generally follow the same process:

1. Walking to the line I check the position of safeties, then outside corners. This alerts me to the over the top coverage and whether the middle is open (MOFO) or closed (MOFC). It also helps to know if corners are pressing.

2. Then I look at the underneath defenders and the front. Sometimes this step along with 1 will tell me if it is zone or man, more often I need more. This is more of a quick glance to look for flags (e.g. showing blitz)

3. I use the coach stick to check my matchups. If a corner is pressing my Z receiver I check the release figure, check route running, etc.

4. Pull back with coach's cam to get a good view of everything. This is the important step, and it takes practice. You are trying to decipher what defense they are in, trying to figure out everyone's assignments. Note: I haven't played 18 but this is when I would ID the Mike.

4b. Often times I can locate that one defender that spills the entire defense. You know what he is doing, you probably know what everyone else is doing. This is huge and takes a lot of time to learn. A good example is the weakside underneath defender. You want to find him and see what he is doing.

5. Do any hot routes or adjustments. In time you will learn how to use hot routes beyond cheese. Lets say you call z-spot and read zone. I'd consider putting the X receiver on a comeback route. You still got your playside zone buster, but if you are wrong you got a man beater on the backside, and due to the timing (comeback is a slow developing route), you don't have to rush. By the time your playside reads are finished, the comeback is there.

6. More of a ritual than anything else, but just before I snap the ball I take one last look at coach cam, and as I do I sit upright. THen when I release coach cam I lean forward again, the same way a QB does in shotgun. Like I said, ritual lol

After the snap,

1. Read the middle of the field, the two safeties and the LBs. This is hard for some people, but I find it is the best thing. Make sure the safeties are doing what you thought they would, e.g. if they came out in 2 deep alignment but after the snap go into a robber you have to catch that! The LBs very often give you a strong tell of what defense they are in. In general if they turn their hips to you it is man, if they stay faced up it is zone.

2. Read your key defender from 4b. This could be someone you think tells you the defense (weakside LB in a single high safety look, if he breaks for the flats its a good indicator you are looking at cover 3). Or it could be the typical hot read, where you check a guy that could be blitzing.

One and two should be enough to tell you everything you need to know.

I try not to read my receivers. Watching and waiting for your guys to get open is not a good approach. Know the play you called and where everybody is going, read where everybody is going. Look for open spots on the field, not open receivers.

Just before throwing I "peek" at my WRs, and sometimes right after the snap I peek to see if they get jammed or off the line. Other than that my eyes aren't typically on my guys.

That was one of the best posts I've ever seen. And I understand almost none of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »