Home

Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
AS we're going to have to up the penalty sliders or they won't get called. Played 3 games and out of 3 games, I've had 4 total penalties called so far on Default All Pro.
Careful with that, changing penalty sliders significantly alters gameplay.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword

Cons:

1) CPU QB AI and play calling exactly like last year. This is a massive legacy issue now. If they don't commit to improving AI a lot, this is my last Madden purchase for the foreseeable future. Sliders can not nor will ever fix this. And CPU AI needs to be really looked at for us who do not play online!!! Otherwise the game will be dead to me after this cycle. I am really getting fed up with the lack of care into looking at playcalling and QB AI on the CPU level. We are the pioneer Madden gamers who enabled this game to become what it is today. And we continue to be the ones spending our money on it. Yet the AI is still......sub-par. It really is infuriating to me. I am probably one of the most positive sports gamers here on OS.....I know how to work with what I got and have fun with it. But two straight years of this type of QB AI is unacceptable. It is a fundamental flaw in that it is the most important position on the field and the AI is inept at it. I have to neuter myself with multiple house rules to play the AI.....and with games like The Show, NBA 2K hell even NHL......I don't. I can play the CPU and get a good challenge without compromising the way I play. I can't do that with Madden. And quite frankly it has been this way since the beginning. I figured hey they made 3 different playing settings....but all they did was call last years game simulation mode and made the real changes to the online players. I get it. MUT is huge. Online leagues are great. But the offline gamer has been left in the cold and this is to me.....a slap in the face. AI is critical to offline franchise gameplay on and off the field. Off the field they made some improvements. But if the on-field gameplay is meh.....who cares about off the field. It won't matter.

Really....that is the big con but it is a huge one.

If offline players don't have a good AI opponent.....the game looses it's luster fast. Somehow I managed to play two full cycles (16 and 17) and had a blast. But I am sitting here playing 18.....and this time I saying.....not this again. Can I really play this game for another cycle in this state with the AI? I actually pondered that after finishing my second game and was streaming (sorry to my audience but I was in vent mode this morning). I pondered returning this game today. Because although I love the improvements as stated above, the core soul of the game for me is the CPU AI and playing against them.....and they are exactly the same....no improvements were made. And yes......I have played hundreds of games between 16 and 17....so it was easy to spot this in 2 full games. I am not sugar coating this. The AI is exactly the same as 17 on the field.
wow, i haven't bought madden since '15 or so. i can't believe this game has not address the same issues than u and others have tried to point out years ago. this is madden 18?! lol
Old 08-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #75
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
AS we're going to have to up the penalty sliders or they won't get called. Played 3 games and out of 3 games, I've had 4 total penalties called so far on Default All Pro.

I played one game of the retail version last night. Pre-Season in a throwaway CFM. I had a grand total of 3 penalties called.

1. Block in the back that nullified a long kick return. I swear I saw the block in the back happen as I ran by. But didn't check replay so that may be in my head.

2. Had a holding call on the CPU during a pass attempt.

3. I was called for defensive holding on a cpu pass attempt.

One thing I have noticed about offensive holding whether it be last year, or this years EA Access or last night with PS4 retail version, I don't think I've seen it called on a run play. Only seen it on offensive linemen in pass protection. I've seen plenty of blocks in the back penalties on run play but not any holding calls.

Purely anecdotal but that's my observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by bkrich83; 08-22-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #76
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandview2015
Yeah coming from you I am going to let this sit
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Madden 17. I was able to play it all year.

I am going to play Madden 18. But when you really bring out a big feature:

Choose the way you play:

Simulation

Comeptitive

Arcade

And simulation is simply last years game. Because it is. This leads to some expectations. I was actually going to sit 18 out. But when this came up...I figured wow they are really listening and don't want patches and tuners to effect different crowds.

I don't know.....I really expected the QB AI and play calling to be seriously looked at. And this is not the case.

So we have a better tuned version of 17.....which is a really solid title...make no mistake. And we now have a new engine and the benefits of that engine are felt. I like how smooth the game feels, the controls are responsive, the hits, the ball physics, player physics etc.

But again for me it is always about the game play. And with the AI.....it seems untouched. I know I can't be the only one seeing and feeling this. I have played the game long enough to know right away. It was really obvious from the first snap. Crazy I know....but just being honest.

So in a nutshell....I fell on the sword for some of you in the sense that if you really liked Madden 17.....and want updated rosters....you don't really have to get 18. Game play vs the CPU is almost identical.

Honest impression.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #77
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrtkolman
Careful with that, changing penalty sliders significantly alters gameplay.
Not as much as you think.....and that is strictly my opinion based on playing this game hundreds of times.

We don't have to crank these sliders to tune the game to where you want and suffer horribly in other areas. A slight departure from default works well....or at least it did on 16 and 17.....I will soon find out if that is the case with 18 over the course of this week.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 08-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #78
Banned

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Madden 17. I was able to play it all year.

I am going to play Madden 18. But when you really bring out a big feature:

Choose the way you play:

Simulation

Comeptitive

Arcade

And simulation is simply last years game. Because it is. This leads to some expectations. I was actually going to sit 18 out. But when this came up...I figured wow they are really listening and don't want patches and tuners to effect different crowds.

I don't know.....I really expected the QB AI and play calling to be seriously looked at. And this is not the case.

So we have a better tuned version of 17.....which is a really solid title...make no mistake. And we now have a new engine and the benefits of that engine are felt. I like how smooth the game feels, the controls are responsive, the hits, the ball physics, player physics etc.

But again for me it is always about the game play. And with the AI.....it seems untouched. I know I can't be the only one seeing and feeling this. I have played the game long enough to know right away. It was really obvious from the first snap. Crazy I know....but just being honest.

So in a nutshell....I fell on the sword for some of you in the sense that if you really liked Madden 17.....and want updated rosters....you don't really have to get 18. Game play vs the CPU is almost identical.

Honest impression.
Agree which sucks because I like a lot. Sliders will help some and Josh's work around from last year does as well
Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #79
Rookie

bodean's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

Honest impression.
Thanks! Will put my money towards another game this year and stick with Madden 17. Appreciate the honest review
Old 08-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #80
MVP

Brooke2011's Arena

I've played about 9 games . Played with Patriots , Seahawks , Ravens and 49ers.
Here is what I've noticed on allpro simulation .
1. Running between the tackles feels more natural . There are reach tackles and more control to maneuver from the running back.
2. Down field blocking is much much improved .
3. The QB AI is better than suggested . Mobile Qb's do scramble.
4. A lot of overthrows by both sides , especially when your feet are not planted.
5. Catching is the same as last year which is not a bad thing.
6. Td celebrations are done well. It def adds to the atmosphere of the NFL.
7. Graphics and lighting are a 10 out of 10.( esp in 4k)
8. Sidelines are the same , but players and coaches will help up players when getting knocked down.
9. Penalties are called and I have seen all of them and even off and def pass interference .
10. Have had off ball injuries and happy to say they were not serious.
11. Zones seem ok to me . The AI is def smarter than last year and the reaction to their responsible areas is def better than last year.
12. Pa bubble screens has a glitch were WR don't flare out for the screen , but go upfield for a pass.
13. Hitting sound effects sound more natural . Not as loud but more realistic.
14. Commentary is the same with new dialogue .
15. Pre game run outs are a nice touch but could done smoother.
16. Replays are better because the graphics and lighter are better, but overall the same from last year.
17 half time and post game are the same as last year.
18.target passing on all pro is hard, but it might just be that it is new as well.
19. ID the mike works well especially if you want a double team on a stud defender.
20. I would give this game a 9 out of 10........ NO , I don't work for EA😏

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »