Home

Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #193
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk1317
6 Reasons Why Madden 18 Is Unplayable:

1. Defensive Alignments: This alone will kill pass coverage, and your ability to stop the run.

2. Pass Protection:
It doesn't matter who you ID as the Mike (the 5th rusher that your line is responsible for) because the offense lines AWR rating overrides your selection. It does this through it's psychic ability, to know who is blitzing.

3. Man Coverage:
Poor alignment, false steps, inability to maintain leverage, wonky animations, and broken coverage shading are all areas that kill man coverage.

4. Zone Coverage:
Lack of pattern reading in spot drop coverages, and the inability of cpu controlled players to decipher who is #1, #2, and #3 after route distribution in pattern matching coverages, makes zone coverage terrifyingly hard to watch play out.

5. Run Blocking:
Take the highly touted Duo (if you didn't know, duo simply means doubte teams), it is not blocked correctly, and odd fronts really throw off the blocking logic.

6. Run Defense:
The addition of run fits was long overdue. Sadly, how your players go about fulfilling their run responsibilities is terrible. That is why runs such as Duo, with inaccurate run blocking are viable options.

Sent from my XT1080 using Operation Sports mobile app

Many won't agree with you and will defend madden. I don't agree that it's unplayable in this state. I am having fun and can play it.

I do however agree with every point you made. Many won't notice these things and will say "it's just a video game". All of these things are things that could and should work right though.

I'm gonna wait until the first patch to give my full impressions but, right now the game plays very much like Madden 17 but with worse coverage

Last edited by charter04; 08-24-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #194
MVP

XxKnicksRules215xX's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Initially like the game on the Xbox trial but after playing retail this is same ol madden, not really fun and challenging and the legacy issues are really killing this game. It's time for this guy to move on, I tried tho just couldn't do it anymore.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #195
Banned

If guys aren't having fun don't buy the game and keep complaining about it and let those who attempt to try and enjoy help EA fix game

Great no? Decent totally and I am hard on Madden and agree with post a few above

That said do they have someone in EA that can fix the coding issue on playcalling
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #196
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Many won't agree with you and will defend madden. I don't agree that it's unplayable in this state. I am having fun and can play it.

I do however agree with every point you made. Many won't notice these things and will say "it's just a video game". All of these things are things that could and should work right though.

I'm gonna wait until the first patch to give my full impressions but, right now the game plays very much like Madden 17 but with worse coverage

I understand the sentiment, but I can't agree. Yes, this game needs a patch for sure. But it feels quite different than Madden 17 in so many aspects.

The collision detection is re-worked, and the player models have a very individual feel to them. I've seen far fewer awkward results in player interaction than before, especially with tackles, WR/DB interaction, and RB momentum and style. Ball physics are also different.

The presentation isn't much different, but the look of the game is. That with the physics makes for an improvement on many fronts.

But again, yes, there needs to be a patch to tidy up the zones. I just hope they don't go overboard. Subtle changes are needed, not a complete revamp.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #197
Rookie

OVR: 3

The game is far from unplayable, at least for me. The game isn't perfect, nor will it ever be; that goes for just about any sports game. People will find a fault in anything. If you please one group of people, you're going to piss off another group. Madden 18 may essentially be a more polished and tightened up version of Madden 17, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's decent foundation there to at least have fun playing.

If you want or are expecting the perfect Madden, then you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed every year.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #198
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Here a lot of people mentioning a patch coming out tomorrow. Are people confused with GOAT edition patch that came out already, so people with reg version will get when they start up game for first time? or is there an actual 2nd patch coming out?

Xbox GT: Hunkerdown
Mixer: HUNKERDOWN
Twitch: Hunkerdownuga
Sports Franchises:
Madden 18 - Falcons
FIFA 17 - Everton
NBA 2K16 -Hawks
Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #199
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd03
This is 2017 why are the jersey's completely white in rain games?

Why are the completely white period for any non turf game?

How can they not have puddles in this game when games like GTA etc has them?

Why doesn't EA ever improve the graphics from year to year
Really? While your complaint about rain effects is one thing that could be valid, you trump yourself the the broad statement that the graphics are not improved. That's by far not the consensus for that topic.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #200
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejs210
The game is far from unplayable, at least for me. The game isn't perfect, nor will it ever be; that goes for just about any sports game. People will find a fault in anything. If you please one group of people, you're going to piss off another group. Madden 18 may essentially be a more polished and tightened up version of Madden 17, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's decent foundation there to at least have fun playing.

If you want or are expecting the perfect Madden, then you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed every year.
I am a Nba2k super fan and I couldn't play last year after a patch. All games we can nitpick. I actually like the Madden direction if they patch the right stuff

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »