Home

Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #265
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

My FIRST impressions All Pro vs CPU Play Now Standard PS4 Simulation

Definite graphics upgrade. I'm on standard PS4, so not sure if it's lesser than Pro. Probably, as my initial thoughts are that it's a bit washed out compared to some of the Pro videos I've seen. Might be because of the Cowboys unis, just not sure. They cleaned up the few of the retro jerseys I looked at, added stripes to players with long sleeves for those I saw. Chargers and Browns retro helmets with the player numbers the BOMB. Way to go Kane on those! Cowboys helmet looks the best it ever has, although my Cowboys unis are always sort of weird in Madden. I'll bring up more uni issues for sure in that thread. As a whole unis are pretty darn good.

Offense, I'm definitely making plays upfield and getting to the end zone on the end of some of those plays, where I know I wouldn't in 17 (safeties). In 17 I might not even complete some of the same passes and most likely wouldn't find the endzone. With that said, CPU defensive line/lb's putting on more heat. Players stay in bounds on 18 better than 17, not sure why that item flip flops each year. I'm in the process of learning how to run but it looks great. I love the fact that now you have a chance in the open field and not being tackled by the first touch. Love the blocking I've seen overall. Love the running separation you get when a faster player outruns a slower one. As it should be.

Defense is tough. You have to call the right defenses and execute them, no easy task. Like I hinted above, CPU safety play is suspect at best. My MLB came in at the qb and got chipped next to the QB, then CPU blocking back ran back towards LOS, and LB went with him instead of getting sack. That nonsense was there last year. Tackling, however is one of the best improvements of this game that I've seen above anything. With that said, tackle battle gimmick should be scrapped. It's no longer needed.

Special teams: Definitely more fun on returns this year, and much better chance to have this become game changing factor.

There's still some of the Madden wonkiness. My first series the QB was facing totally backwards, throwing motion, backwards, and the pass still went forward and completed to receiver. Devs are pretty good at tightening this stuff up when we build our bugs thread.

Maddens 15-17, I initially disliked when I first got on the field, and 18 is no exception in terms of getting used to CPU coverage, pass rush, and game speed.

Will do some franchise gameplay testing and try not to stew about not being able to import past franchises or rosters or edit outside of franchise.

How bad can it be? I called in with Maddenitis today!

Last edited by l8knight1; 08-25-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #266
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

So some more impressions.

The more I play, the more I love the Frostbite engine. Finally players have weight to them and feel different from one another!!! And I keep saying this...but some of the hitting is downright violent and I love it. Feels like tackle football finally. And I can't get over how amazing the game looks and plays on the Pro in 4K......not butter. BUTTERCREAM!!!!

Something not being talked about enough IMO is how much more improved the play by play and commentary is this year. They made the change last season.....but they absolutely made more improvements to flow, and dynamic relevant conversations they are having.

However I did catch a HUUUUUGE boo boo. Gaudin talked about Matty Ice the former #1 overall draft pick in 2008.

uhhhhhhh no. That distinct pleasure belongs to Jake Long. Parcells famed draft f*** up not taking the franchise QB and getting cute thinking Chad Henne would be just as good.

Now that would be a nice story to have them talk about when they bring up Matt Ryan. LMAO!!!

So yeah very cool new lines of color and commentary this season.

Now if they would scrap that archaic halftime update and give us a real broadcast quality halftime show with highlights, stats, scores around the league as well as highlights around the league.

EA it is long over due. Give us a real deal ESPN or NFL Network branded weekly wrap up show. Not the failed Extra Point......but what that other game did 13 years ago.

As ESPN Countdown would say.......COME ON MAN!!!!!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 08-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #267
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10

As someone who's not a madden junkie, the game is fun. Feels similar to 17, but graphics and models are so much better. I'm playing on PS4 pro, but no 4k and the cutscenes are just too nice to pass up.

I downloaded commentary file and heard commentators talk about Elliot's 6 game suspension, jaylon smith's preseason debut, and the eclipse. It was incredible. Can't wait to hear what they say during the season.

Overall: fun experience for the casual football gamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #268
Pro

GrayDawg's Arena

A sideline reporter would be nice too. The presentation of injuries is awful.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #269
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayDawg
A sideline reporter would be nice too. The presentation of injuries is awful.

I love having off all injuries and the expanded injury system. But you're 1000% right about the presentation when it comes to injuries. For all intents and purposes there is no injury presentation.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #270
Pro

GrayDawg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I love having off all injuries and the expanded injury system. But you're 1000% right about the presentation when it comes to injuries. For all intents and purposes there is no injury presentation.

Yes I love the offball injuries too. Also wish the team intros were longer. Its a nice start but needs more work.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #271
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I'm eager to see what the patch for pass coverage does. It's desperately needed, but I've actually had a better first impression of 18 in terms of improved feel and difference overall than I did between 15 to 16 and 16 to 17 so far.

I'd definitely like to see QB ai behavior worked on a bit re: scrambling and their strict pass-first approach leading to some strange play.

There's Madden jank for sure, but for what it is, the game will keep me occupied for a while.

EDIT: Annoyed to see they still haven't fixed weather in CFM after I've been harping on it for four yeas. I do not want to see games in NY in mid December where everyone on the sidelines and in the stands are wearing shorts and sun visors.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 08-25-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #272
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetoleetd
thats not what i said. but keep defending the people who accept mediocrity in games if you want. just know that as long as enough people like him exist, we will keep getting games that are just slight upgrades over the previous year's game rather than having the developers push to make drastic improvements that take the game to the next level.
That is an inaccurate statement and explains why you feel the need to correct people's perception or curb their enjoyment of the game.

Trying to encourage Open, angry revolt and silence anyone who enjoys the game is Not going to miraculously compel or allow Devs to make the changes that you or a minority of people want specifically.

The game is made by and large to appeal to a vaaaast majority of people that play it in many different ways. They have gone miles addressing the sim community over the years that I've been watching here.

The game on the whole is solid, amazing really, albeit with a few issues for people who play a specific way or yes without enough changes in some peoples opinion from last year. Does it have some issues? Sure any game of this complexity would and will.

But that in no way means that a helluva lot of people won't have fun playing no matter how you feel about it. And silencing those people won't fix it for you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »