Home

Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #393
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Anyone playing a cloud cfm notice zones tighten up? Maybe it was the team i was playing, or mabe my team took a momentum hit, after losing my HB, bit i couldnt get anything dine last night, both in the ground and in the air.

Suffered a 35-0 loss last night putting me 2-2 in preseason.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #394
Rookie

cdh72469's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
Playing the Super Bowl rematch and won 17-14 as the Falcons on a last second field goal. The game looks good but the bad are annoying and if fixed this could be a really good game. Sacked Tom Brady 5 times 3 of those off of attempted screen passes.
Finally fired it up last night after having the game since Saturday. Picked Intermediate and SIM style when prompted.

This Sounds like my first experience same score, just a TD on 4th & 5 with :42 to play. NE drove to my 36 and missed a 53 yard FG to tie as time expired. It was fun and felt fair, which, as a 100% offline "old-timer" gamer is all I'm looking for, competitive game, never felt like the AI was "cheating."

After only this game, my thoughts are
Running seems a bit more difficult, requiring better reads of blocking as you control the RB.

Passing seemed balanced Ryan (me) and Brady (CPU) were below their normal 65+% completions with no picks, although I threw about 3 that should've been.

Too many sacks by me IMO, 5-7 I think, Ryan was sacked 3 times I think.

Good to see DB hits cause incompletions.

Zones on D are a bit too loose but DB closing speed seems pretty good. Maybe sliders will actually have an effect on this and other gameplay that seems a little off.

Brady (CPU) moved in the pocket and scrambled a couple of times when warranted. One was a bit over the top - avoided sack in EZ, scrambled left and threw back across the field to a RB at the LoS and converted a 3rd and 18.

Game looks really good even on my old Sony 32" flat screen and a standard PS4. Thinking of temporarily moving the PS4 to the family room and the newer/better TV to see how it looks.

Not sure if I want to play Long Shot - it'll just make me miss NCAA

Like I said, I'm an old-timer with other priorities so gaming time is at a premium for me so as long as it's fun, competitive and fair I think I'll be OK with this iteration on Madden.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #395
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh72469
Game looks really good even on my old Sony 32" flat screen and a standard PS4. Thinking of temporarily moving the PS4 to the family room and the newer/better TV to see how it looks.

No framerate problems for you? I've seen a lot of reports about it on ps4.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #396
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunreaper
No framerate problems for you? I've seen a lot of reports about it on ps4.

I've had framerate issues on the XB1 as of late. Out of nowhere, my game will start lagging even though I'm offline.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #397
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Yes, yes!!!

Broadcast Cam is a forgotten about gem.
The issue I have is the angles seem to be done deliberately as to really not like to play on this view with so much being cut off.

There is not one game ever watched on tv from the goalpost view, yet when the term Sim is used, the camera view that we actually watch the game from is never mentioned.

As far as Arcade Style on Madden, I started a thread mentioning this, but people are so fixated on using a term (ie Sim), rather than going off of what the game is actually doing.

The main thing about this Play Style that caught my eye, is the Pocket Timer doesn't exist to force delay Pass Rushers.
- you can edit ratings or sliders to minimize the Pass Rush to your liking.

The other thing, which is huge, is that the AI utilized its weapons/mismatches to move the ball.

Animations actuall play out better on this Play Style compared to Sim Style for some reason.

Like you've noted, with some tweaks, this Style gives the best gameplay experience, the its name is so stereotyped.

Definitely caught me by surprise.
Glad to hear someone else also feels (and gave a chance to) arcade mode being the superior play style for true sim like experiences.

It surprises me in countless ways of how much smoother less robotic(as far as superhuman goes0 it plays. its straight forward and can be very challenging and result in good end game scores...
Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #398
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Glad to hear someone else also feels (and gave a chance to) arcade mode being the superior play style for true sim like experiences.

It surprises me in countless ways of how much smoother less robotic(as far as superhuman goes0 it plays. its straight forward and can be very challenging and result in good end game scores...
i def think a lot of os is jumping the gun and just assuming sim is the way to go because, well, sim. but i've read some speculation here and there that comp plays better than sim, and now this.

i'd like to know what EXACTLY is the difference between the three modes - and not just PR-speak about "more true-to-life" and "stick-skills are king" - but some literal, hard-data, under-the-hood stuff about exactly what's different and what each mode is purportedly doing.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #399
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexy

Madden also doesn't know the NFL rules, either: I was tied with the Bengals and the first play of OT was a fumble on the kickoff that we (Miami) recovered. I went ahead and kicked the FG on 1st Down because it was late, and...

Cincinnati STILL got the ball, drove down the field and scored a touchdown. The rules are (if I'm correct) that any team who has the ball after the first team doesn't score, the first points when the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
You're correct, game should have been over after you hit the field goal
Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #400
MVP

OVR: 11

has anyone besides me tried arcade mode? lol having some good games.

Last edited by Teddy_Long; 08-29-2017 at 07:59 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »