Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions - Page 6 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football

Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanent1
No worrys i know the game looks better on the ps4 pro, but as for what tv i own LG OLED65E6P.
nice tv so no help from you....

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #42
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
This current team of devs has been the best thing that ever happened to the Madden series. I enjoyed 17 and played it for most of the year, but this feels like the first real next gen football game of this cycle.

The thing I love the most right now is just how good moving around the field feels. Guys run with purpose and the game speed is phenomenal out of the box. The cuts and jukes are great. Quarterbacks are able to move around the pocket better -- no stutter steps where they're stuck in mud. Excellent stuff.

Can we talk about the tackling? How great does it feel to wrap a guy up this year? I'm seeing players get brought down in a variety of ways. It looks great and feels punishing when you get leveled by someone.

Players not reacting like morons on fumbles this year is very much appreciated. They scoop it and go. I also appreciate receivers being able to cut back inside on those sideline grabs where they would normally run out of bounds.

The graphics are very well done this year. I was especially impressed by the lighting when I played at Lucas Oil.

I've played four games so far. I'm not a big CPU guy, but I ran one on All Pro. I was the Rams vs. Cowboys, and I ended up winning 31-14. Only a one game sample size, but they didn't put up much of a fight in that one..

I played two randoms in Play Now Online matches and ended up going 1-1. I didn't really see anything that jumped out to me as problematic. Two tough games. My offense and defense both performed well in both of them.

I finally played a 3-on-3 MUT game w/ a couple of my league members, and it was awesome. Our collective team is pretty ****ty right now, but we worked well together. I'm glad they brought that back, I see myself playing that a lot.

Just some random thoughts from my short time with the game.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
i enjoyed reading your impressions
http://forums.operationsports.com/To...18-slider-set/
Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 3

Knowing how good the game looks on the PS4 Pro has me excited to see how great it'll look on the Xbox One X.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #44
Rookie

adh5199's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejs210
Knowing how good the game looks on the PS4 Pro has me excited to see how great it'll look on the Xbox One X.

I'm interested to see if they look identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #45
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Bleedgreen, are you using Play Now or CFM? There was a difference last year in testing out the game in both of those modes.

Are you getting more than 120-130 plays per game?

I play 9 minute qtrs with no accelerated clock and normally avg 120-130 plays per game.

Just asking.
I usually get around 20-30 pass attempts and 20-30 rush attempts for each team so yeah right around 120 I'd say. And I was using play now. I've heard about that difference before, I'll try some CFM games today. Thanks for reminding me!

Sent from my HTC Desire 625 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #46
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

I don't want to speak for others, but many of us still have a regular PS4 or XBOX One. When giving impressions with regards to graphics, please let us know if you're using the 'lesser' system or the Pro/X.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanek27
I can't seem to notice much difference from Xbox ea access to PS4 pro. I only played it on my Vizio so maybe that's why. I just wanted to make sure the enhance PS4 pro version was in the update. I'll try on the Samsung tomorrow to see if it was in fact the Vizio causing the issue
It must be the Vizio because the difference is immediate and extremely noticeable. The clarity and color is beautiful in 4k.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #48
Rookie

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

OK, I was really excited for this Madden and I was extremely nervous about the zone changes. BUT, that looks like it can be patched and then further fixed through user sliders.

General

1. I am a big play book guy. One of my favorite things to do is go through and make historical playbooks or themed books. This year is possibly the best selection of playbooks/formations/plays that I have seen in Madden. Oddly, they removed a large selection of plays out of the pistol. There are certainly less triple option plays in the 2 back sets that I remember. That is going to take further deep diving into the books.

2. The menus are 1000x times better. And the menu music, while I am sure it will get boring, is still good.

Gameplay

1. I love running the option. And last year...it was crap, honestly. The QB animations were jerky and stilted and it took a lot of labbing to figure out which read or triple options were worth running. (Answer: No triple options). The first thing I did last night was pop open the open practice and go in with the spread playbook and just run option. It felt much better than last season and, more importantly, the CPU defense actually played it correctly. I saw several LBers play a perfect scrape exchange on the QB keeper. And inverted veer is hammered dog **** anymore.

2. Running the ball in general is a lot more difficult, especially under center. It is going to take time to master. Power O/Stretch/Toss are no longer money plays in my opinion. ISO and Lead plays seem to be blocked better. I have seen a few instances of some sort of synchronized pancake blocking, but that was in the sterile environment that is practice mode against a random defense. I have not been able to recreate the scenario. The single largest improvement has been to pulling guard logic. Basically, it just works now. They turn up in the right hole, don't get hung up on too much trash, really works well. Also, shotgun counters are sweet, sweet music again. At least against a light box.

Which brings me to my second point on running. If the box is loaded, it is hardly worth running into. The issue of dime and other sub packages being able to go against heavy sets does not appear as prevalent. I know I had a H2H game where the opposing player attempted that and I gashed him repeatedly until he went back to base.

Finally, on the subject of running, the CPU running backs are very very good. Elite backs or even just talented ones can shred you. I have never been shook so many times by a CPU back in my life. Forte in particular was infuriating.

3. Contrary to running the ball, passing the ball is, right now, on All-Pro, dead easy. If you can read a defense worth a damn, you should be able to just maul people with the short/medium game. Coverage is simply not tight enough and it is difficult to get pressure sans blitzing. BUT. BUT. Usering defenders, IE Mike/FS, has never felt better to me. I am not a great defensive sticks player. But I was able to maintain coverage on TEs/Slots down the field very smoothly and even managed a few user picks, which might have to be a priority for a while, until the patches drop.

On the plus side, I feel like the WR screen logic is much better done now and the other WRs will more consistently block their assigned players.

4. This game is not perfect. But the Frostbite engine is very well done and I feel like the animations are smoother than ever. Yes, there are a couple weird ones here and there, but on the whole, I really liked it. I think with a bit of TLC, this could be the best Madden of this generation.

(Im desperately trying to be glass half full here)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »