Home

Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #521
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Since release, my two biggest issues were...the zone coverage and the imo, overpowered jukes. Now that these things have at least been addressed, and to me seem better...i think i'm good to go for the meantime and start my franchise. But i agree with the many...18 has sure gotten off to a rough start.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #522
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
[QUOTE If someone doesn't have the game, why are people giving their opinions in a thread about retail impressions?
With the amount of very intelligent, football knowledgeable sim style players putting up videos, you can get a very good gauge as to how the game plays without plunking down your money for it. You've got to get a feel for steering away from the folks who always say the game is great, or always say the same is terrible. Trust you eyes and decide whether or not the game is for you.

Studying videos of this nature brought me back to Madden last year, after a 5 year hiatus. However, it was those same type of videos that I watched this year that steered me away. It certainly didn't take a rocket scientist to see that this game was aimed at attracting new users and pushing MUT. The offline franchise mode, both features and cpu programming, were placed on the back burner. Ironically, I can't help but think that the one addition that looked promising in coach adjustments, might be the reason for some of poor cpu coverage concerning zone awareness and aggressiveness and odd pauses by the corners just as receivers get into their breaks.

I think Madden 17 is/was outstanding and I am still enjoying it. Improved user custom gameplan set up and a more diverse CPU gameplan design would have rendered this game a 10 in my humble opinion. I hope the majority of folks who bought 18 are enjoying it as well. I think 19 has a chance to be amazing with another year under their belt with the new engine, provided they assign enough of their staff to focus on gameplay. Peace Road and thanks for your impressions as well.[/quote]

Thanks Edge, I sincerely appreciate you point of view and it certainly makes sense.

I understand you can trust your eyes, but I also feel you should experience something before giving opinions.

It's probably more on me because I've always believed if you saw only a trailer of a movie and thought the trailer was trash and didn't attend the movie, you shouldn't render a opinion on movie as a whole.

Just different different point of views and I appreciate your take.

Last edited by roadman; 09-07-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #523
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think ACC Clock is the reason for the QB bug after testing with and without it
Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #524
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketballGHS
I think ACC Clock is the reason for the QB bug after testing with and without it
Good find if true!

It sure sounds like it.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #525
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Good find if true!

It sure sounds like it.
That would be OG Josh's find
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #526
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
If someone doesn't have the game, why are people giving their opinions in a thread about retail impressions?
I had my friends M18 for 3 solid days and logged about 8 hours with the game so I do feel qualified - as someone who has purchased every version at retail since 2003 until M15 - to share my opinions.

To be frank, as an offline franchise player, I do not trust EA and this dev crew to make the game that I want so before I drop 60 bones I want to try the game. I was super excited at the direction of the game with M12 and have been underwhelmed to flat out disappointed each year since.

I understand that the devs serve many masters with MUT, arcade, online play and of course arm chair GMs like myself. The game is beautiful, that is clear and the longshot story telling is another new direction they wanted to take that leaves franchise lovers wanting.

Many are calling for a full re-write of CFM and while I agree I know that simply is not anywhere near the top of their priority list. What I cannot understand is why they cannot throw us a bone with some low resource enhancements like editing draft classes, better CPUVCPU logic and improved draft/fa/pre/post immersion.

I work in software development and I certainly understand that little enhancements have larger downstream impacts depending upon the way the game was coded. But while presentation work is resource intensive, adding draft class edits and improving CPU/CPU logic tweaks should be fairly simple unless they have some seriously bad spaghetti code.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #527
Rookie

So I do 32 team control, and before I played my game in week 1, I super simmed the other games in the same time slot so the scores would update as I'm playing my game. They fixed the "user" vs "user" showing up in the ticker and now it actually says the team names which is great, but the win loss records are showing up already for the games in the same time slot as mine! This totally kills the suspense of watching all the scores update as ur playing your game, as you know ahead of time who won each game. Sucks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #528
2021 NL Cy Young

The Kid 24's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketballGHS
So turning off Acc Clock will make CPU QBs not statues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Operation Sports mobile app
North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball
North Carolina Tar Heels Baseball
Wisconsin Badgers Football

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »