Home

Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #577
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
It's been almost a month since the game came out and I can say that for all its issues and shortcomings I am enjoying the game and am immersed in my CFM. I'm a few weeks into Year 3 with the Jets, slowly rebuilding, but I've got a great core of young players via the draft.

To me, the key to this year is playing on All Madden. After spending a few weeks on All Pro and seeing all of the bugs that the community has been complaining about, I was pleased to see that most of them disappear on All Madden, especially CPU QB play. No statue issues, not an abundance of sacks, etc. There is minimal cheese. I felt that '17 was a big step for All Madden in the cheese department and '18 is even better.

Two other things that I don't think are given enough attention given the history of Madden is that...

1) Sliders work this year.
2) Ratings matter big time on All Madden.

I don't know if this is due to Frostbite (I'd guess the latter definitely is) but it's a big improvement from '17. I'd purchase '18 just for these two reasons alone (combined with the visual and physical improvements from Frostbite).

Users can liberally tweak sliders this year with no ill effect. I started with Charter04's set and made quite a few changes to open up the game a bit more as his set provides a defensive slugfest type of experience. But stuff like lowering CPU QBA no longer makes the CPU only throw checkdowns or call running plays 70% of the time. Upping HUM Pass D and Reaction Time actually does something this year. Now that's not to say it fixes the weird animation issues where DBs cut strangely or stop for no reason but it's a much better experience on All Madden with sliders than it is on All Pro.

Ratings have such a massive impact on the game. In Year 2 with the Jets I had one OL rated in the 80s (an 81 at that) and everyone else was in the mid or high 70s. It was a painful year, both running and in pass protection. My terrible WR couldn't get any separation. I started a test CFM with Atlanta using the same settings and the difference was massive. I could easily run the ball, Ryan had ample time to throw and Julio was open every time he wasn't double-teamed. After making some big FA acquisitions in the off-season leading up to Year 3 with the Jets, I immediately noticed an improvement in how well the new OL performed, how much more elusive a good RB is and how WRs in the 83-85 range can get open somewhat consistently compared to my previous WR who were all in the 74-77 range.

Overall, I'm happy with the game. Bugs need to be fixed and obviously, CFM needs a massive overhaul but I think '18 is a bigger step forward than many are giving it credit for - at least on All Madden.
Overall, I'm also enjoying the game this year. Despite, as you say it's shortcomings.

In some ways it really does seem like an improvement over 17. But a step backwards in others. And those steps backwards( we all know them) can be infuriating at times. But I'm trying to make the most out of 18, and with the help of the community, and so far it's going pretty good. "Most" of the time, player ratings really do matter. Also, It's more challenging, than 17, for me on offense, going against the cpu defense.

So overall, I like it.

Tempted to try All- Madden though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #578
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Because the main focus of Madden's development/design is no longer geared toward the things that the majority of OS cares about the most, it's my opinion that that most here are too angry to evaluate the game with anything resembling objectivity. I'm not going to argue with anyone about it, but despite a handful of legacy issues still being a sore spot, this is easily the best Madden ever, IMO.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #579
Rookie

OVR: 0

I don't know why EA is not trying to get rid of these legacy issues and direct the game more towards the sim realistic game players. There's always blitz games for the arcade casual gamers. That's why I liked the competition with2K over NFL. It pushes developers to make better products. Every sport should have at least 2 developers.
NFL-EA and 2K
NBA-2K and Live
NHL-Ea and 2K
MLB-Show and EA
Old 09-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #580
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

OVR: 0

I honestly don't know how people are enjoying Madden 18 (well those that do are 9/10 playing MUT anyways). The things that happens in this game are beyond frustrating.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #581
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I like what they're trying to do with the off ball injuries, but the injury system needs tweeking. There should not be an injury timeout and a clock stoppage if a player isn't down on the field. Keep the clock running and just have a notification pop up that says player X has left with an injury
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #582
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Madden is what it is at this point. It has some really cool features that are enjoyable, but this next patch is going to determine if its worth continuing on. If they improve CPU QBs/sack issues and can iron out some of the other crap (offline CFM regression, simmed XPs, etc.) then it may be enough to satisfy most of us with a focus on Madden 19 and CFM (for us offline/single player old guys).

Crossing my fingers for the next "Day 30" patch.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #583
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

The AI just uncorked a 93 yard punt on me. They were at the 1, so the punter was about 8 yards in the end zone, the ball literally landed at my 19 yard line and bounced OOB to the 6. So considering punters go about, what, 8 yards deep into their end zone when the ball is at the 1 yard line? A one hundred and one yard punt. And most of it in the air. Kickoffs don't even go that freaking far in windy conditions! My returner was so ridiculously out of position because, honestly, how was he supposed to know that the Chargers' punter ignored the laws of physics?

Uninstalling this cancerous garbage. The game isn't THAT much better looking than years past in any respect other than daytime games (in sunny weather), the animations are still just as bad, secondary play is HORRIBLE, as is the collision between players. Dudes are getting launched to the moon out there. I was willing to put up with these legacy issues, but this? A 101 yard punt? This is too much. Tiburon will be lucky if I pick up Madden in the next 5 years. Obviously that's about how much time they need with Frostbite to make a half-decent game that can compete with NBA 2K for authenticity towards its respective sport.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #584
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
The AI just uncorked a 93 yard punt on me. They were at the 1, so the punter was about 8 yards in the end zone, the ball literally landed at my 19 yard line and bounced OOB to the 6. So considering punters go about, what, 8 yards deep into their end zone when the ball is at the 1 yard line? A one hundred and one yard punt. And most of it in the air. Kickoffs don't even go that freaking far in windy conditions! My returner was so ridiculously out of position because, honestly, how was he supposed to know that the Chargers' punter ignored the laws of physics?

Uninstalling this cancerous garbage. The game isn't THAT much better looking than years past in any respect other than daytime games (in sunny weather), the animations are still just as bad, secondary play is HORRIBLE, as is the collision between players. Dudes are getting launched to the moon out there. I was willing to put up with these legacy issues, but this? A 101 yard punt? This is too much. Tiburon will be lucky if I pick up Madden in the next 5 years. Obviously that's about how much time they need with Frostbite to make a half-decent game that can compete with NBA 2K for authenticity towards its respective sport.
Same thing happened to me, I had Washington backed up on their 1 and thought I was about to get great field position, then they unload a punt that travels at least 75 yards in the air, well over my returner's head and rolls to my one. I was able to scoop it up before the coverage unit got there and bring it out to my 6

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »