Home

Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 01-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #641
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Tried to hop back into this, I was hoping that the patches would fix the coverage issues. Feels a little bit better but it's still frustrating when your safety seems to have no awareness of whats happening in front of him- sometimes just wondering into space. I feel like I have to baby sit the safety to have any chance online.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 04:50 AM   #642
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I picked 18 up during the PS Store sales over the holidays. I like a lot about the game and am generally having fun with it for now. I won't echo the common complaints, but there are a few things that, if fixed, would improve the gameplay for me a lot, and most of these things I feel have been a problem since the PS2 era:

- The game (recommended plays and CPU plays) still calls too many PA's on 3rd and long (PS2 era?)

- Recommended play calls still seem to only ever cover a small portion of a playbook and repeated over and over. (PS2 era?)

- Blocked kicks/punts feel too much like cutscenes.

- Punt returns are still nothing at all like NFL punt returns, not even close. The timing for punts and gunners are way off, and so are the blockers running with the gunners. (PS2 era?)

- Momentum is still stopped too easily on some tackles. I think we can all feel when a run looks like it will get a 1st, only to be unnaturally stopped short.

- Too many big hits around the LOS, not enough down field across the middle.

- A ball carrier stopping/slowing in open space should cause defenders they can see to do the same to compensate for the increase in agility and ability to change direction, not continue running full speed at them. Another reason why punt returns are way off. What's worse is running full speed at ball carriers actually works!

- CPU punters still have little feel for where they are on the field, and the commentators still laud bad endzone punts. (PS2 era?)

- There still seems to be too many high snaps on RB draws, to the point now where I see a high snap I basically just rush the LOS knowing it's likely a run (PS2 era?)

Again, I think 18 is a pretty good game and I'm optimistic about the direction it is going with the sim mode (in principle anyway), but there are a lot of things that have seemingly been problems forever and at this point it's only logical to assume EA don't see them as issues for them to still be there.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #643
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I just played a game for the first time in about a month. i just feel like every game is the same.

I know what plays work and what plays don't. There needs to be plays where they work sometimes but not others. The AI needs to learn what you're doing and adjust. I just don't feel like that happens. I can throw nothing but slants the whole game and just march down and score at will.

And it's definitely not me being good at the game, it's basically just an exploit.

And man, the animations. Some are really nice. But there needs to be a ton more. Player movement needs so much work. I can't understand that with all the sports games that have such human like animation and Madden just seems to struggle getting basic animation down. Even NBA Live has good animations.

It just makes the game boring. There is no sense of anything can happen. Plays either work or they don't.

Very frustrating. Maybe Frostbite will transform the game over the next few years.

Can't say it any better than this. Nailed it.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:12 AM   #644
MVP

OVR: 8

Haven't posted on these forums in months. Reason being is that I thoroughly enjoy the game. Can't wait to see what they do with 19 but from now on, madden will most likely be a day one purchase for me as long as they keep delivering with the frostbite engine.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #645
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza

** Solid list of issues from post snipped for space **
That was a solid list of nagging stuff that has indeed been around since the series first went to 3D way back twentysome years ago. I'll add two more, although only one is a carryover from the PS2 days:

- CPU has the same exact clock management ability, or lack thereof, since the late 1990s. Won't burn a time out until after the two minute warning... let alone how they handle using the timeouts after that, especially on offense. I understand that AI isn't easy to program... but SOME progress in this area after 20+ years isn't a very tall order.

- On basically any close play, the animations will not lineup with the result the CPU generates. In my cloud CFM Super Bowl the other day, I pulled off an impressive INT at the goal line to seal the victory. I've never been the greatest at user picks, so was pretty proud of myself... until the CPU determined that I was out of bounds. Of course, the animation showed both feet clearly in bounds. I ended up eventually winning the game, but ugh. Same thing with the ball spot. Animations clearly will show you gaining the line to make by a full yard in some cases.... but nope... 4th and inches. This stuff could be excused in an era where you couldn't zoom in from infinite replay angles or where the game specifically gives you the option to 'challenge' a call... but god it drives me nuts when it pops up.

That said, I am enjoying Madden 18. This is the first significant playtime I've had with the game since the 11 or 12 version... and most of my frustrations so far have been totally on me and my lack of skill. No doubt the game isn't where I figured it would be some 6-7 years later... and in some ways it feels like the same game... but I'm having enough fun to keep playing and I guess that's all that matters in the end.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #646
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
- CPU has the same exact clock management ability, or lack thereof, since the late 1990s.

I understand that AI isn't easy to program... but SOME progress in this area after 20+ years isn't a very tall order.
Yes. This has been my gripe since forever. There are a lot of different situations a football coach can face. But if EA had just added a little bit each year to the database of scenarios, after 29 iterations of the game, they could have a pretty comprehensive and detailed CPU logic base. It just never has been a priority.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #647
MVP

OVR: 11

This is a hard question to answer, but with madden being under 20 dollars right now is it worth a purchase?

I'll be honest and say I'm not a super huge nfl fan, and I do have madden 17 already. I'm interested due to graphical improvements and I guess whatever gameplay improvements are available but similar to the impressions I've read in the last few posts the AI has seemed braindead and the game starts to feel stale to me (previous editions)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #648
Rookie

OVR: 0

This was a really good read. Very useful for someone like me who is pretty new to Madden having just picked it up last week while it was on the SuperBowl special offer.

I hope to get many, many hours of enjoyment out of the game so the more I find out about it the better.

Thanks again for the really useful post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »