How is your franchise going? Madden 18 - Page 3 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

How is your franchise going? Madden 18

This is a discussion on How is your franchise going? Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football

Old 08-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #17
Banned

thouse34's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How is your franchise going? Madden 18

Okay, so I caved and bought PSN so that I could start a cloud based franchise single player and have it update as we go along.

I chose the Chiefs as my team this year, I love the jerseys, I love their situation. They have a solid defensive unit with a few veterans, and a so so offense with bad receivers, an okay RB and QB.

Anyway I usually sim most of the first season to mold the team a bit before I start playing. I played 3 games of the first season and we ended up 7-9...Not really where I wanted to be. It started out atrocious and we went 0-4 to start the year, then brought it up to 2-6. At this point I was actually looking forward to a good draft pick, but Alex Smith going down in Week 9 changed everything. I was already ready to move on from Smith in the off season, but this put a rush on things. I put a raw Mahomes in there and he lost his first start badly, but then started slinging it around pretty well. He ended up winning 5 out of his last 7 starts.

The offseason came around and I knew we had to do 2 things...Cut Alex Smith and find some more talent at the receiving positions.... Unfortunately the draft was a wasteland of talent at the receiver position. I used my first round pick on a running back who didn't pan out very well. 73 overall and normal dev. I spent picks two and 3 drafting some duds and this draft did not appear to be going very well for me.. I did land a few good Lineman late in the draft, as always. (Seriously, just draft lineman with 30+ bench reps, they'll turn into starters).

The free agent market didn't have any good receivers either.. The hot commodity at receiver was a 28 year old John Brown... I'll pass. I knew something had to be done though so I poured over draft notes and noticed that the Broncos had landed a superstar dev wide receiver in the 6th round or so. He was raw, 72 overall, but I knew I wanted him. It was pretty easy to trade for him and the broncos already had a crop of good receivers. I gave up a Right tackle and a 2nd round draft pick to fill one of their holes and I replaced him with one of the guys I drafted.

So, now into season 2 with a very raw Mahomes and a young receiving core. I will still be scouting receivers heavy in this draft, hopefully there will be some more talent. Kareem Hunt is coming along nicely, as he broke off 125 yards and a TD in his week 1 debut. I expect to win 8 or so games on the high end this year and try to set myself up with a decent draft.

Last edited by thouse34; 08-24-2017 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #18
Banned

thouse34's Arena

Also, with Mahomes starting now I was thinking about changing the playbook around. It seems like KC's playbook is designed for short passes to compliment Alex Smith's skill set. What playbook would be good for a gun slinger like Mahomes? I was think ATL, NE, or Tampa maybe. Any ideas?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thouse34
Also, with Mahomes starting now I was thinking about changing the playbook around. It seems like KC's playbook is designed for short passes to compliment Alex Smith's skill set. What playbook would be good for a gun slinger like Mahomes? I was think ATL, NE, or Tampa maybe. Any ideas?
Big chiefs fan here. I traded alex at the start of the season and I've had mahomes starting from day 1 (3 games in). If you are looking for a vertical playbook I'd imagine Bruce Arians, Arizona playbook will have that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #20
Rookie

KeanuReevesRules's Arena

I always use the Browns. Last night I finally started the regular season and now I'm thinking I should already restart after changing some settings and sliders... maybe even move up to all madden if I can't get decent sliders on AP.

Went back and forth with the Steelers in the first half. Duke Johnson fumbled on his first two carries after I lost Crowell to an injury. Ended up being 24-23 Steelers at half time.

By the time we got to the 4th quarter it was 54-30 Steelers after they pick sixed Kizer with 13:20 left.

We then managed to score 21 unanswered points and with 1:22 left in the game we recovered an onside kick. Kizer directed a great drive all the way to the 1 yard line after a pass to Kenny Britt. With 12 seconds left and time ticking, Kizer called for a ball spike and just as they finally lined up he spiked the ball... the clock read 0:00.

I wanted to scream, but my wife was already asleep. I looked at the stats for the game. Kizer threw for 557 yards and 5 TDS with 2 INTS.

First game of his career and he sets the single game record in an almost miraculous finish.

And that is what I have a problem with... the 15 minute quarters with access clock set to 10 seconds on All Pro stock sliders resulted in an arena football game.

Yes... it was fun. However, it's not exactly the experience I want with sim gaming in mind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
Bronco Nation

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20

I started a Broncos CFM just to mess around until XP and All-Pro sliders are done. I finished my first season 10-6 and got whipped by the Titans in the Division round of the playoffs.

In the off-season I managed to trade Trevor Siemian and the 27th overall pick to the 49ers for the 1st overall pick. Then, I flipped that pick to the Browns for the 3rd and 9th overall picks. So IMO the trade logic is still as foolish as ever, but they do give you worth for the first round picks...FINALLY. With my picks I took a SS with my 3rd overall pick to be groomed by TJ Ward, and a CB to be groomed into the next piece of the No Fly Zone.

With the gaping hole at QB, I literally threw money at Kirk Cousins and signed him. I did take a long, hard look at Teddy Bridgewater as he too was a FA, but I did it the Elway way, and decided to go for broke and win now.

I will continue for a few more days this weekend as my trial expired, but I hope Kirk is worth what I paid him lol

50 Cent....

Cuz he's only good for 2 Quarters!!!!!
NFL - Denver Broncos
MLB - Colorado Rockies
NHL - Colorado Avalanche/Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #22
Banned

thouse34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanuReevesRules
I always use the Browns. Last night I finally started the regular season and now I'm thinking I should already restart after changing some settings and sliders... maybe even move up to all madden if I can't get decent sliders on AP.

Went back and forth with the Steelers in the first half. Duke Johnson fumbled on his first two carries after I lost Crowell to an injury. Ended up being 24-23 Steelers at half time.

By the time we got to the 4th quarter it was 54-30 Steelers after they pick sixed Kizer with 13:20 left.

We then managed to score 21 unanswered points and with 1:22 left in the game we recovered an onside kick. Kizer directed a great drive all the way to the 1 yard line after a pass to Kenny Britt. With 12 seconds left and time ticking, Kizer called for a ball spike and just as they finally lined up he spiked the ball... the clock read 0:00.

I wanted to scream, but my wife was already asleep. I looked at the stats for the game. Kizer threw for 557 yards and 5 TDS with 2 INTS.

First game of his career and he sets the single game record in an almost miraculous finish.

And that is what I have a problem with... the 15 minute quarters with access clock set to 10 seconds on All Pro stock sliders resulted in an arena football game.

Yes... it was fun. However, it's not exactly the experience I want with sim gaming in mind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Operation Sports mobile app
I used to play with 15 and acc clock but I have moved to 8 min no clock and all pro sim... It seems to be pretty accurate stats. Number of plays might not be right but the stats themselves are good.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #23
Pro

Out of the box, All Pro works great! The only big gripe I have is for some reason, tackle stats are wonky. I mean, I get SS or FS with a good amount of tackles, but all the other players, like 4 or 5 per game. Even my MLB that should be getting like 10 at the least per game are getting less than 5. And that's after experiencing several games dedicated to playing a particular position i.e., DT, DE, CB, LB, Safeties, etc.

The CPU gameplay dynamics on the offensive side of the ball change when using different positions manually.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #24
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

J - E - T - S JETS JETS JETS

Previously - Preseason 2017
Spoiler

Finally, Week 1 is here! Spent about 2 hours this morning doing cuts/PS for all 32 teams. Won't continue with 32-team control, but wanted to make sure teams didn't dabble in with the FA pool.

Set year goals for all the coaches, not sure if it will stay or even effect firings at the end of the season, but thought maybe it can help guard new coaches (low goal) and put others on hot seat (high wins or playoff birth goals).

The most intriguing storyline going into Week 1 has to be Cooper Rush being named the starter in Dallas. With Dak injured and Zeke suspended, Cooper Rush and D. McFadden have to step up and prevent Dallas from starting off slow.

Another developing story is the QB situation in Miami. Cutler went down with a foot fracture in game 4 of the Preseason. He will be out 8 weeks, Matt Moore has taken over, but I think it's safe to say any playoff dreams for the Dolphins have surely died down significantly.

In New York, the Jets are gearing up for their Week 1 matchup against the Bills . The coaches know that every win this year will require a lot of hard work... and luck. The goal this season is to find out if any QB on the roster (Petty or Hack... sorry McCown) is worth invest our future in. McCown will be our #1.. for now, but I'm fully expecting our young players will be getting plenty of reps once our playoff 'hopes' are dashed.

Back to Cooper Rush, looks like he's started hitting the gym pretty hard once he found out he'd be the Week 1 starter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170825_092833.jpg (575.2 KB, 353 views)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »