Home

Questions about Quarter Length and League Statistics

This is a discussion on Questions about Quarter Length and League Statistics within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8

Can someone explain how Madden adapts league statistics (if at all) to quarter length? I understand that the average number of plays in an NFL game is about 120. So, ideally, you'd pick a quarter length, +/- acc clock to get to 120 plays. But obviously, not everyone sets their quarter length settings to where they get that many plays exactly.

The questions I have are:
1. Are Madden's league stats in CFM based on 120 plays a game on average no matter what you set the quarter length at, or do they adjust to match the quarter length you choose? For instance, if you set quarters at 4 min/quarter and only have 60 plays in games, or 15 min quarters and 200 plays a game, will Madden adjust the league genereated stats accordingly so your teams stats aren't too low/high?

2. Does "play the moment" change this at all and if so, how? If I remember correctly from last year, PTM in general makes it balance out the number of plays to a realistic number, no matter what the quarter length is set at, but I could be wrong.

3. It seems like the Dev's tweets suggest the game is tuned to be 6 min / no acc clock. Yet others I've seen suggest that to get to 120 plays without acc clock, 8 min would yield the appropriate amount of snaps. I guess this goes back to question #1. If the game is tuned at 6min quarters (100 plays a game lets say) yet you are playing 120 smaps a game, over the course of the season, won't the stats of the players on your team be significantly higher than the rest of the league by season end?

Thanks ahead of time if anyone can give me some clarification on this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Questions about Quarter Length and League Statistics

All I know is that in Madden 17 whatever SIM settting you used, including slow sim, the game was designed to get a realistic amount of plays for both teams.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

1. If you're referring to the simulation engine that generates the statistics for non-user games, the answer is no it doesn't adapt to quarter length. It attempts to generate its data in accordance with real data from NFL which would include roughly 120 plays - and it does so rather poorly in some areas.

2. The answer here is yes. In "Play the Moments, you will get a realistic number of plays regardless of quarter length. It does this by decreasing or increasing average time between plays while simulating a result.

3. In general, the game is tuned to produce NFL average scoring and yardage in its default settings of 6 minute quarters. In other words, total yardage and total points will be comparable to NFL, but the points per play and yards per play will be significantly higher than real life.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by GameBreaker35; 08-23-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Someone please just tell me what quarters is usually the best to play to get the average amount of NFL plays??

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Someone please just tell me what quarters is usually the best to play to get the average amount of NFL plays??
9 min quarters, No Accel clock runoff.

I've played 5 CFM games and I've had 115, 120, 124, 124, 125 as far as plays.

I don't rush to the line. I hike the ball after he says his first cadence, so pretend the QB says "Set, Blue 56, Blue 56, hut hut". I always hike the ball on the first "Blue 56" call.

The only time it's a few seconds later is if I'm ID'ing the Mike, but even then I still get between 120-130 plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
MVP

prey2god's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I like to do full 15 minutes with 15 sec run off.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prey2god
I like to do full 15 minutes with 15 sec run off.
Works well also.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
1. If you're referring to the simulation engine that generates the statistics for non-user games, the answer is no it doesn't adapt to quarter length. It attempts to generate its data in accordance with real data from NFL which would include roughly 120 plays - and it does so rather poorly in some areas.

2. The answer here is yes. In "Play the Moments, you will get a realistic number of plays regardless of quarter length. It does this by decreasing or increasing average time between plays while simulating a result.

3. In general, the game is tuned to produce NFL average scoring and yardage in its default settings of 6 minute quarters. In other words, total yardage and total points will be comparable to NFL, but the points per play and yards per play will be significantly higher than real life.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
That was very helpful, thank you!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »