Home

Old 08-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #73
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Is the Defense Broken??

I'm starting to wonder. Playing Devin Wade CFM, went 25/30 for 468 yards and 3 touchdowns. It was against Houston's #2 defense.

Starter got hurt in the last game, I came in with Wade and went 5/5 for 67 yards and a TD.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #74
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

What I wonder is if, like the injury slider, offensive sliders at default are tuned to scale a football game to 6 minute quarters. Then again, I thought "sim" would be tuned at default to longer quarters.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #75
Pro

OVR: 2

I agree mostly with the first post. It is broken, But not unplayable. Especially if you are playing POTM or playing CPU vs CPU. This is the worst defense I have ever seen produced by EA. The receivers are wide open, Especially on deep passes, There is no coverage over the middle. I am 15 games into my franchise as the Browns. I have not seen one bat down or swat. Defenders are always 5 yds or more off the receivers. It is simply CATCH and Tackle. I love the running game but way to many long runs. It is definitely not enjoyable. Sliders seem to do nothing, CB and Safeties simply don't cover receivers, I have seen no floating passes, Every pass is like it's been shot out of a cannon even with the worse QB's in the league.

I have tried every slider setting there is, Set coverage and reaction to 0 to 99. makes no difference. I have tried Sim, Comp. make no different difference. playing on All-Pro to all Madden. M17 had superior defense compared to this.

Maybe for you Thumb jocks, the game plays different or you call the same defense over and over, But for the CPU, the defense sucks. In M17, 16, defenders ran side by side on streaks, in 18 they are 3 to 10 yds behind.

A few of you don't seem to mind it, But there are many many post even on U-tube about how bad it is. It needs to be addressed. I guess a lot of you like 38 to 27 scores game after game. How many times have you seen the QB throw the ball away.. Not many. it either SAC, or complete to a wide open receiver. It is frustrating knowing every-time a QB needs long yardage, he usually gets it.

Plus Screen passes seem to be broken and finally if you don't think the defense is broke. Check the stats for QB yds.. In 16 and 17 the ave completion per game by QB was around 8 to 12 yds a game.. In my test franchises the ave completion for QB is 16 to 23 yds per game and receivers are averaging far more YAC than they did in 16 or 17.

In my opinion, The defense may not be broke, But certainty needs a major adjustment or the sliders need to be made far more effective. As it is now, SIM seems more like Arcade. Big play after big play..Especially on 3rd and long. nearly every QB throws over the middle to a wide open receiver for 20 yd's or better.. Play after play you here the announcers say he was WIDE OPEN. Once again, I am only talking for Coach mode, CPU vs CPU, or Play of the moment. I even set the coach adjustments to swat ball, but no defender has been close enough to swat anything but air. Very very frustrated.. I know it is a small sample, but you don't have to drive a car a thousand miles to know you have a flat tire or something is wrong with the engine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #76
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

One thing that I believe needs to be adjusted is the fact that many defenders pause or stop when a receiver makes a cut, change of direction; if this animation issue could be resolved I believe a number of the issues in pass coverage would be rectified, to a degree, for the better.

It seems in ZOnes that the defender is stiff, and unresponsive at times. I have noticed this and have also noticed situations where the defender, for example, had an awareness and play recognition of 69. Thus maybe the curve or whichever method EA/Tib uses to determine reaction time and zone play needs to be adjusted?

I believe I see the general problem where you have varying skill levels, rookie to all-madden, and then you have player ratings that span a generally larger range than previous maddens and EA/Tib is trying to make different ratings play differently; this is obviously not easy because if you tune zones to play relatively "perfect" for one rating level, such as 70 for example, with proper degrees of errors and successes, well then a level 90 rating, in say Zone cover, would potentially be impossible to throw against, which should never be the case..

Because of the issues I see with adjusting coverages, I am more concerned with EA/Tib over correcting the zone/coverage issues than anything else; luckily, I suppose, EA/Tib has no such history of making zones "too great."

I just hope any adjustments does NOT remove a part of being able to differentiate, visually and statistically, performance wise, the difference between an average defender, a good defender, an all-pro defender and a hall of fame defender. I do not wanna go back to seeing Madden play like M17 and other versions where it really didn't matter what the ratings were.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 08-27-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:01 PM   #77
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Defense is flat out broken. Zones, Man Coverage, all of it. Zones, they stand there. Man Cov, you literally witness a defender move AWAY from their cover receiver while the play is going on only to have a big play happen. It's a joke.

But defense is just another mechanic that has issues.

Forget even about QB's waiting too long in the pocket. The QB moving out of the pocket to the right only to throw it BACK TO THE LEFT across their body is laughable.

Was this game even QA tested? Did they ONLY play the game H2H when they were testing?
Old 08-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #78
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

This game has so many bugs it's nearly unplayable.

Has anyone noticed the CPU defense being perfect? I'm playing CFM on all pro with default sliders and their man coverage is literally perfect. There's no reason for them to have safety help because no matter how pathetic their DBs are they play perfect coverage.

I also notice a lot of user errant throws. I'm playing with Wentz on sim so that makes sense but this never happens to the CPU, no matter how bad their QB is. Wentz is throwing the ball 10 yds away from receivers and Kizer is 10/11 for 170 and 2 TDs.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:39 PM   #79
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
This game has so many bugs it's nearly unplayable.

Has anyone noticed the CPU defense being perfect? I'm playing CFM on all pro with default sliders and their man coverage is literally perfect. There's no reason for them to have safety help because no matter how pathetic their DBs are they play perfect coverage.

I also notice a lot of user errant throws. I'm playing with Wentz on sim so that makes sense but this never happens to the CPU, no matter how bad their QB is. Wentz is throwing the ball 10 yds away from receivers and Kizer is 10/11 for 170 and 2 TDs.
I agree with CPU qb accuracy. In my CFM with Jameis I see a ton of inaccurate passes which is fine, but Blaine Gabberts dots me up 18 for 20 323 yards 3 Tds 1 int
Old 08-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #80
Pro

bowld's Arena

OVR: 9

Broken for sure. Also feel like I have very little control on defense. I miss the days of changing to a defender, timing the jump and hitting Y for the INT. Now all you have to do is hold Y from the get go and hope for the best

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »