Home

Simulation Setting Gameplay Feedback

This is a discussion on Simulation Setting Gameplay Feedback within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 08-30-2017, 04:08 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Simulation Setting Gameplay Feedback

I can definitely agree with the areas you have talked about. The statue sack is killing the game for me right now. I have my sliders almost perfect but the inflated sacks because of the zombie like qb is definitely taking away from the game's immersion. Qb accuracy on default is way too high. I think qb accuracy at 25 should be the new default on simulation (I have mines at 17 to really differentiate top tier qbs). Now I'm gonna get to your playcalling synopsis. I completely agree with your assessment but I think playcalling as a whole needs a facelift. The funny thing is the answer has been in madden for years with gameflow. The problem is EA has yet to invest in this feature. The plays called are based on down and distance. EA continues to reevaluate playbooks each year but refuse to plug these new plays and formations into gameflow and rate them based on how often teams ran these plays last season so that the cpu can call these plays. This would be a game changer because the cpu would play more like their real life counterparts and strategy would be of utmost importance as well as scouting a team. Once they address this the game will finally play closer to what we see on Sundays. My last issue is something that you didn't bring up. Penalties! Now I use to adjust penalties until I saw a realistic number per game for penalty yardage. However, recently I've come to realize that adjusting these affects the gameplay negatively. The game plays so much better with penalties at default but you'll rarely ever see penalties called. With them currently at default I only see false starts being called (for some reason only against my team). We definitely need more penalties on default so that we don't have to sacrifice gameplay by adjusting those numbers. I wanna see 30-60 yards of penalties for each team per game. Holding should be the most called penalty followed by false starts. We finally have wr/db interactions down field but how is it SIM if there's never any pass interference calls? We definitely need more penalties on default.

Last edited by dman08; 08-30-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:30 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 2

I forgot to mention this but now that the ball carrier moves work better this year can we please make the cpu pull off moves other than the spin move? I feel like tendencies should be in place based on attributes so that a back like McCoy would use his juke move more since that is his highest rated ball carrier move. As it is now the AI ball carrier does the spin move 80% of the time
Old 08-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Just want to mention some of my observations.

-QB AccuracyI have been missing passes, as has the AI at a decent enough percentage, the problem is that it is random, and the chances of misfires are equal across the board. I can complete deep passes with pinpoint accuracy and then turn around and miss a slant or spot route by more than 5 yards.
Solution: DAC should be universally lowered on the sim setting

Yards per play/number of big plays It is better than it has been in the past, seems like each game both me and the AI have 10+ play drives, but scores are still a little higher than I like with realistic number of plays.
Solution: I'm hopeful this will improve with the patch, as I think the primary culprit is poor safety play.

Playcalling. Their AI playcalling needs to be rebuilt from scratch. Gameplan feature is what, 4 years old and we haven't seen any improvements here. But this is not unique to sim setting, so I'll leave it at that.

Defense reaction to QB scrambling. It is dreadful. If a defender is in a zone it seems like they ignore the QB until he passes the LOS. I have had the AI call 4 verts, then the QB intelligently rolled out. So far so good. Then the LB who was spying him followed the QB, and stared at him from 5 yards away, with no one in between. On my side, Flacco is on pace for over 500 yards scrambling, even though I may only take off twice a game. But each time I do I am getting over 20 yards because the defense ignores him until he passes the LOS.
Solution: Why did they remove the R3 button to tell defender to pursue QB? For the AI, just fix the logic.

Time to pass. Think this only affects the AI, as I am getting a realistic time to pass, but I couldn't tell you how many times the QB stood like a statue for 5< seconds, then hit a dowfield receiver who was running back to the LOS. I'd ballpark it at adding 70 yards in passing yards each game. And we are not talking about a play breaking down and the QB improvising like Big Ben. I'm talking about WR running a post route, then running all the way back down the middle of the field catching a pass.
Solution: Since users don't seem to have this problem/gift, make pass rushers on user team more likely to win with each second that passes. And fix the AI QB logic to understand what to do when all routes are covered. Either scramble or throw it away instead of doing nothing

AI in general. It needs improvement at every level of the game, from scheming, playcalling, on field decision making, etc. Can't do this in a patch, and I sincerely hope that EA makes better AI a focal point next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 0

The qb ai has been discussed ad nauseum. It has been a problem for years, they know about it and it continues to get worse. I can not fathom a reason for that. Something else as far as gameplay goes is defenders not doing what thay are supposed to do. I had a cover three called and the deep safety and the right corner back blitzed on the snap. Easy touchdown of course. I Just Thought Mike Tomlin Isn't My Coach So Why Is My Defense PLAYING Like THE STEELERS Against belechek. It doesn't bother me as much as the qb ai because defenders do miss assignments in the nfl but when your linebackers or corners decide to switch sides of the field on the snap it looks bad.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
The qb ai has been discussed ad nauseum. It has been a problem for years, they know about it and it continues to get worse. I can not fathom a reason for that. Something else as far as gameplay goes is defenders not doing what thay are supposed to do. I had a cover three called and the deep safety and the right corner back blitzed on the snap. Easy touchdown of course. I Just Thought Mike Tomlin Isn't My Coach So Why Is My Defense PLAYING Like THE STEELERS Against belechek. It doesn't bother me as much as the qb ai because defenders do miss assignments in the nfl but when your linebackers or corners decide to switch sides of the field on the snap it looks bad.
Sure you didn't run commit or audible? I've never heard of this happening
Old 08-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

My issue with the QBs besides the obvious is the perfect reads they all make. There's never a play where they just miss the open guy. This of course is partially due to the absurd amount of time they seem to get combined with the fact that progressions aren't a thing in Madden so everyone is the primary read on every play
Old 08-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Sure you didn't run commit or audible? I've never heard of this happening
I am sure. I don't do many presnap adjustments besides line shifts. I never make an adjustments for defensive backs to blitz and all of them didn't anyway. I have never called run commit unless it's on the goalline. I have had corners several times do this. It's not exactly a blitz as they seem to try to run across the front of the line. It's like they totally bit o n play action despite there being no playaction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #16
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I nominate this thread, and whatever Deuce says, to represent my views on "simulation" setting as feedback to the developers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »